where did you take your cwl class?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    when the semester gets out i'm looking to take a class. i was wondering where did you take yours and how much was it. i forgot to add b.r area.

thanks
    chow

Last edited:

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    For me, every 4 years it's $80 at LSUA in Alexandria. It is taught by one of the best gunsmiths in the central LA area who is also a veteran police officer and tournament shooter.

sloopy70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2006
    DeRidder, LA
    Hey Tantrix, could you gimme some more information on the alexandria class... I live in DeRidder so its only like 40 minutes from here... and i need to get my ccw... whats the quality of the class? whats it consist of? how long? etc...

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    mine came with the badge...

EBRSO offers a class every few months or so, 389-8268 should get you to the range and whatever info you need.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Hey Tantrix, could you gimme some more information on the alexandria class... I live in DeRidder so its only like 40 minutes from here... and i need to get my ccw... whats the quality of the class? whats it consist of? how long? etc...

Click the link below for their page on concealed carry classes. Matter of fact they have a full class starting today. Click on the "add me" button at the bottom of the page and they'll notify you when the next class is held.

http://www.ce.lsua.edu/CatalogOfferingView.aspx?OfferingID=164

Last edited:

Ben

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    I took the class at Jims. It was $75 and two days long. The shooting part was done at Percision and was included in the price.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    John Lummus is a friend of mine. You won't find a more knowledgeable "gun guy" around, who adds his considerable police experience to the mix.

"Veteran gunsmith"???? Sounds like he's branched out from banging on trashed cops' guns....:D

I need to call that boy; haven't spoken with him in some time.

Veteran police officer yeah, as far as gunsmith I'm not sure how many years he's been doing it. The gunsmiths in this area pale in comparison to the quality of work he does though. I use him exclusively for all my gun work.

Tantrix

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Pineville, Louisiana
    That's pretty strong. Not taking away anything from John, but you've got Terry Cross down in Woodworth, Charlie I-can't-remember-his-last-name out toward Leesville on LA 28, and of course one of the masters of them all; Ken Eversull, around Hot Wells.

Ken only does special order work on live pidgeon guns these days, I hear. But he's been very good for a very long time. I grew up in Alexandria, and had limited behind-the-counter priviledges when Ken's shop was at Rapides Station.

I've heard of Ken before, but not Terry Cross or the Charlie fellow.

Also, some guys are really good with rifles and only so-so with handguns. Then you have those that are good with 1911's but only so-so with revolvers.

I like John because he is an old-school revolver shooter and also shoots some autos in tournament so he's pretty good with handguns.

He's not the best in the state or anything but he's up there with the guys you mentioned. There are ALOT of gunshop-commandos that really aren't good at gunsmithing around here (Central LA) and you gotta stay away from them.

I'll have to check into the Terry Cross and Charlie guys. Good to know some of the other good gunsmiths in the area in case (god forbid) something happens to John.

sloopy70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2006
    DeRidder, LA
    I'm pretty sure the John lummus yall are talkin about is the president of our USPSA club... Piney Woods Action Shooters, In Leesville...

hickman

hiding in the piney woods
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    Alexandria, LA
    Hell, Terry is one hell of a rifle smith, one of the top Tactical rifle builders in the country, of course his price reflects that, but worth it. I shot a 300 win mag he smithed for a shooting buddy, in a word, "flawless". He also offered to spend time talking to me about rifles, even though he knows I can't afford one of his at the moment.

LSP972, you aren't talking about Charlie Calcoat by chance are you? I think he moved shop to Grant Parish, but not 100% sure. Can check with a friend and let you know if you want.

Tom Cogburn is also a good smith, he is in Boyce.

Tommy Butler is also a hell of a riflesmith, he is in Woodworth, and has done work for me and some other shooting buddies, always excellent work, and in a timely manner.

Thanks for the link for the LSUA class. Where do I find the prerequisites for an LA CHL? I am an ex- DOC trip officer, as well as ex-Nat'l guard.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I took mine at Barney's in Lafayette with Joe Weiss.

Sadly, everyone said I needed to work on my aim because all 36 shots didn't go through the same hole on my qualification target:
    CCW-QUAL.jpg

Hell, I guess everyone has a bad day sometimes:D

ETA: I am blaming the gun because my sights appear to be slightly off to the left.

Top Bottom