Why do range officers get pissed of so easily?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    I can understand the stress of having to watch people all the time.

But why get pissed of because we had to think about which targets we would like.

Some people are just plain assholes i guess.?

Who/where is the meanest r.o. you ever met?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Jefferson Indoor about 10 yrs ago, before it became shooter's club. Don't remember his name, but I heard he died of lead poisoning.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Me if I get swept with a muzzle. I ain't shy, I will come unglued. You would be amazed at the number of morons who are completely clueless about gun safety and range etiquette.
    I've seen a lot of stupid **** done by supposedly smart people. :rolleyes:

Art

J

jayd

This might be one of the reasons…….

I met a friend (who I had shot with before) out at Honey Island range one time
    When we met up, he had brought a friend of his who had bought a new Sig 220 and wanted try it out and decided to come along
    Seemed like a responsible older gent with good taste in firearms so I didn’t pay to much attention to him
    He wasn’t riding out with me so I assumed he had experience or if not my friend would at least “hover” near him for pointers or guidance

10 minutes later after I gave those plates hell, ;)
    I looked over and see this guy with a FTE or a FTF,
    with his finger on the trigger and racking the slide with his free hand and (as if to say help) LOOKING BACK AND FORTH DOWN THE LINE SWEEPING IT WITH HIS MUZZLE!!! :eek4:

I said sweeping the firing line, racking the slide with his finder on the trigger!:eek:

After a slight delay in my brain (not believing my eyes) I screamed for his to take his F’n fingers off of the F’n trigger and put down the mudder frikkren gun!
    I screamed so loud that the whole firing line stopped (I think the rifle range did too)
    The range officer and my friend came trotting over and I proceeded to explain the problem at the top of my lungs and then chewed them out (In proper DI fashion) for their lack of attentiveness

Can’t remember when I’ve been that mad (or cussed like that since)
    Right after that I turned on a heel, picked up my marbles and went home

So my answer to your question as to why are R.O.s so up tight
    is they get yelled at by horses a$$es like me :D

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Couple of storys. Guy's shooting a blackpowder rifle. He pulls the trigger and the the primer goes off and nothing else happens. He immediately points his rifle at us and ask what happen. Ran that mf off.

There are only 2 of us at the range. He is shooting at 25 yds. and I'm shooting at 100 yds.
    This is at the Iberia Parish Sheriffs range. They use target stands. We are shooting from benches that are about 4' apart.
    We go down range and I tell the guy that I'm going to 100' yd's, He says "ok". I'm stakeing down my target so its not blowing around in the wind.
    I hear a .22 rimfire shot. I figure it's from the pistol line. I hear 2 more shots and realize that its the guy set up next to me.
    These bullets are passing about 4' or closer away from my fing head.
    I start climbing the fing burm and yelling at this ahole.
    He forgot I was down range. :rolleyes:
    .22 long rifle bullets are sub-sonic at 100 yds. Like I said they were passing within 4' and I never heard them.

At the old Hub City range. This suv pulls up. The guys start pulling out their rifles. One of the guys puts his rifle on his shoulder like he getting ready to tromp through the woods to grandma's house. In the mean time he's sweeping the entire rifle line. I call him on it.
    This is taking place the weekend before openning day of gun season, so the range is packed. The only open bench is the one next to me.
    The same guy sits down, loads up and starts shooting my fricking target. :mad:
    I call him on it again. I then shut down the line so Bozo could go put some targets up.
    He comes back and we call the line hot again. Bozo starts shooting again and low and behold the mf is still shooting my target. I say the hell with it and start to pack my stuff.
    While loading up I notice some strange looking cases on the ground under Bozos bench.
    Best way to describe them is to say they looked like a .300 Weatherby mag. with very little neck. :rolleyes:
    The head stamp said .300 Win. mag.
    Seeing as how Bozo was shooting a fine looking Weatherby Mark V Lazermark, I kinda put 2 and 2 together and came up with him. :rolleyes:
    I ask him what caliber he's shooting and he says .300 Magnum. I point out the fact that he's shooting the wrong round in his gun.
    His anwser to me was "Oh, I didn't know, it's not mine". :doh:
    This is a $1000 to $1500 dollar gun.
    Now the whole time this is taking place I was very polite and kept my inner Nazi in check. I kept thinking that I knew his face from somewhere. As I was on my way home it clicked on who this bozo was. He was and still is the District Attorney for Lafayette and surrounding parishes. This guy is a moron with a gun. :eek3:

Art

Last edited:

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That's it, in a nutshell. A range officer's lot, ESPECIALLY on a public facility, is a nerve-wracking one indeed.

I meet friends at Precision every now and then; but I won't set foot in there on a week-end. And sometimes the "slow" periods are equally dangerous; last time I was in there, on a Tuesday morning, several so-called 'security guards' entered the bay to be "qualified". I took one look at THAT crew, packed my trash, and didi'ed outta there.

But I did stay and watch through the window. One of the 'security guards', a black female about 5 foot five, any way you measured her, pointed her Taurus .38 revolver right where I would have been standing... several times.

Normally, I won't tolerate rudeness in a person whose services I'm paying for. But having been on the other side of the coin for too long, I understand such people's (range officers) lack of patience. After all, lives are at stake. Idiots and nimrods are a definite danger on ranges.

As pangris would say... "Don't YOU be "that guy"...

My sister and I went to Precision on Thursday to shoot and there was a group of "security guards" just like you mentioned. Their "instructor" was chewing them out the whole time. I almost left because I was kinda chuckling inside and it was affecting my accuracy.

I can't tell you how many times I heard the following...

"NO NO NO!!! What are ya'll aiming at! I SAID FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER LADIES! :curse: :rofl:

Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    I can understand being like that about safety...

But about being at the counter and trying to decide which targets you are gonna purchase and how many we need.. then get pissed off and slam the pen down because we were trying to decide how many targets we needed.

He must have been having a bad day.
    But 2/3 times ive been there he must have been having a bad day. lol

My little brother suggested he drink some prune juice once we got back in the car.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    That is why I do not go to ranges that have counter people. I prefer my range that is membership only unless a guest is brought along and then the member is responsible for that person.

Also all members are range officers at our range and we have a strict protocol about whom is in charge when the line is full.

electrode1998

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I have watched range officers have to yank guns out of people's hands.

I've also seen other cops walk rounds onto MY target from the 25.

I've seen people fire guns at the 25 and it throws to dirt up at the 7.

Most importantly, I had someone have a malfunction, then turn and point the damn gun straight at me!!!!!

So, I like a grumpy range officer!

Last edited:

Born4spd

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    That is why I do not go to ranges that have counter people. I prefer my range that is membership only unless a guest is brought along and then the member is responsible for that person.

Also all members are range officers at our range and we have a strict protocol about whom is in charge when the line is full.

electrode1998

Where do you shoot?

That sounds like a better system, you will listen to a responsible buddy better then a range officer.

Is the membership fee a lot?

BOSS302

Pain is temporary
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SELA

electrode1998

Where do you shoot?

That sounds like a better system, you will listen to a responsible buddy better then a range officer.

Is the membership fee a lot?

I'm gonna take a stab and say he's referring to Baker Range.

electrode1998

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    I'm gonna take a stab and say he's referring to Baker Range.

Nope you guessed it wrong.:rofl:

I belong to Palo Alto which is down in Donaldsonville. We have an outdoor range with 3 seperate ranges. Pistol range= 30 yards, multi-use range=100 yards, and a 600 yard rifle range. The annual dues are $150 and the first year there is a $ 50 sign up fee.

We have a web page at www.paloaltogunclub.com

There you will find the info you need. If you have any more questions just p.m. me and I might be able to help.

I thought about the Baker range and I like it, but I am a little closer to Palo Alto and they have more of what I was looking for in a range.

I know the owner of the Baker range and he has a nice place, I found Palo Alto meets my needs better.

electrode1998

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    I can not stand incompetent gun owners/shooters. I have been shooting and people have asked me to help them "fix their gun" because they don't know anything about it.

Also, every time, if I bring a friend along or something, then I hover over them. Before we even go out I make sure I have enough glasses and plugs for everyone, then I make sure they understand safety rules. If they are shooting, I don't. I make sure they don't do anything stupid, and to make sure everything is safe. This also goes for anytime someone is shooting any of my guns, whether it is a family member or random person that I meet at a range. If someone is shooting one of my firearms, then I am watching like a hawk.

J

jayd

Also, every time, if I bring a friend along or something, then I hover over them. Before we even go out I make sure I have enough glasses and plugs for everyone, then I make sure they understand safety rules. If they are shooting, I don't.

Good on ya Slinky :)

Top Bottom