Why not a shotgun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    IMO, just pick the right tool for the job. IMO the shotgun is ideal as a defensive weapon when you don't have 10 BGs, you are in a neighborhood, you have straight and narrow paths of fire (like a hallway). With the punch it packs, ammo selection and general ease of operation IMO it's the most versatile weapon out there.

There seems to be some who think otherwise. "Just give me an AR"

I can see the point in many situations, but all in all I see the shotgun as a great option for defense.

I'd like to hear the arguments against a shotgun.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Sorry I can only back you up on this point. If the sh!t were ever to hit the fan I'm grabbing a shotgun before either the AK74 or AR15.

Dave

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Sorry I can only back you up on this point. If the sh!t were ever to hit the fan I'm grabbing a shotgun before either the AK74 or AR15.

Dave

Well it depends. I can carry more .223 than 12 gauge, so if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, I'm taking the rifle. If I'm staying at home in my neighborhood and not worried about 10 armed BGs, I'm probably going to pick up a shotty. Pure survival (hunting and such), probably a shotty.

Of course both is a good option.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Shotguns are awesome!!! If you missed this episode of Lock 'N Load with The Gunny, you need to look for the replay- great hi-speed cam footage! If I could have only one gun, it would be the AA-12!!!! Awesome doesn't do it justice.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T0VFUNjw4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T0VFUNjw4[/ame]

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville

Dave

Dave and I agree on this one. I have a Win 1300 Defender loaded and side-saddled and a Moss 500 loaded ready to roll if the SHTF.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    There seems to be some who think otherwise. "Just give me an AR"

I can see the point in many situations, but all in all I see the shotgun as a great option for defense.

To each his own. For defense I'd prefer lighter ammo, round count, and ease of reloading. That said, there's a reason I have both right next to each other in the safe and will use a pistol to get to them if the need ever arises.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I think the main reason people would chose a pistol over a shotgun is the mobility(cornering), and lighter recoil (for the women). This is only my opinion though, as I too have a shotty at the ready.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Shotguns are heavy recoiling, awkward to reload, slow shooting (pumps at least) and longer than a handgun.

Proper training will help circumvent some of that.

A pistol holds more rounds, easier to maneuver, easier to reload, etc.

That said, I'd have no problem picking one or the other in a defensive situation. Of course, ideally I'd have both.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Each shotgun round weighs more than an individual 5.56mm round yes. But each shotgun round of #1 Buckshot has 16 pellets in it. So two twelve gauge rounds have more projectiles than your entire magazine of 5.56mm. How much of a weight difference was there?

Dave

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Shotguns are awesome!!! If you missed this episode of Lock 'N Load with The Gunny, you need to look for the replay- great hi-speed cam footage! If I could have only one gun, it would be the AA-12!!!! Awesome doesn't do it justice.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4T0VFUNjw4

Saw it, it was a fun show for sure.

To each his own. For defense I'd prefer lighter ammo, round count, and ease of reloading. That said, there's a reason I have both right next to each other in the safe and will use a pistol to get to them if the need ever arises.

Right tool for the job. I probably wouldn't need 30 rounds in a small encounter, but I might want the horsepower in each round.

I think the main reason people would chose a pistol over a shotgun is the mobility(cornering), and lighter recoil (for the women). This is only my opinion though, as I too have a shotty at the ready.

If I was going to clear my house, I might opt for a handgun, but I probably wouldn't if I knew someone was in my house. I'd hunker down behind the bed with the shotty. Depends on the job I guess.

Shotguns are heavy recoiling, awkward to reload, slow shooting (pumps at least) and longer than a handgun.

That said, I'd have no problem picking one or the other in a defensive situation. Of course, ideally I'd have both.

If you use it some, I don't see the reloading being a problem, but I don't see me emptying my HD shotgun for its intended use either.

I agree that there are certain situations where you'd want something else.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Ok I did some research. Each #1 buckshot pellet weighs 40.5 grains and is .30" in diameter with a muzzle velocity in the neighborhood of 1600 fps. Of course a 12 gauge shotgun allows very great latitude in what type of round you choose to use. Three sizes of buckshot are commonly in use. Rifled slugs, sabots, explosive rounds if that's your thing, bird shot if you're house is attacked by birds. But if the sh!t were to hit the fan that great variety of loads mean you can put a lot of different items on the food table easier than a 5.56mm.

Dave

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA

+1

If we're talking about pumps, they also absolutely require two hands to operate. If you are wounded in the arm, or CQC and fighting over it, you're screwed.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    +1

If we're talking about pumps, they also absolutely require two hands to operate. If you are wounded in the arm, or CQC and fighting over it, you're screwed.

Unless you're Sarah Connor being chased by the Terminator. One hand pumps are tacticool!!! Almost as much so as one hand operated lever rifles...:rofl:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm not sure ANYTHING is more lethal at 15-20ft then a load of buckshot. I can't think of a better weapon when holed up in a safe room.....That particular round is not a wounder. When it comes to lethality, it's an annihilator.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    Give me a semi .22 long rifle for all around.

I would take a 223 over 22lr. Same diameter bullet, but alot more power. You can kill humans with it and us it to hunt if you are stranded in the woods. I would not trust my life with a 22lr, but I would trust my life with a 223. The 223 rifle might be a little heavier, but the ammo isnt that much heavier so you can still carry a good bit of ammo with you. i would take a shot over both though.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Unless you're Sarah Connor being chased by the Terminator. One hand pumps are tacticool!!! Almost as much so as one hand operated lever rifles...:rofl:

Fill your hands you son of a bitch!!!!!!

130-157~John-Wayne-Posters.jpg

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    If you use it some, I don't see the reloading being a problem, but I don't see me emptying my HD shotgun for its intended use either.

I agree that there are certain situations where you'd want something else.

So you're fairly confident that you could reload a pump gun quickly and user pressure without looking at the gun? Because if you're fighting and having to reload, the last place you'll want your eyes is on the gun.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    The double-barrel 12ga shotgun was the gun that tamed the West. "The History Of The Gun" said so.:D

Seriously, I would have to agree with this. A 12ga can be used to take nearly every type of game animal in North America- INCLUDING THE WINGED VARIETY- and make a very good self-defense weapon at reasonable range. That's the reasoning they gave for their opinion that it "Won The West"....IMHO, it's hard to argue with that. The Colt Peacemaker & Winchester Lever Actions got the folklore, but it was the shotgun that got it done.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom