Wife thinks she wants new Vehicle, what is hers worth?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Well I have been trying to talk my wife into a new vehicle for sometime now, I am not sure if she is serious or not, but she asked me this morning to go with her to look at a few.
    IF she is serious we will be selling her lil pickup truck.

That is the reason for this post. I am trying to get a feel of what her lil truck is going to be worth.
    I have done quite a few searches but there just isn't many of these trucks available, in fact not a ONE on e-bay even!

She has a 2006 Chevy Colorado Xtreme
    It basically looks just like this but has a more sporty "STOCK" chevy wheel, interior is pretty much identical.......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9u0W9nkrfo&feature=player_detailpage

Truck a lot like this one without the black side graphics bottom of the door and hood....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW-324CGU3M&feature=player_detailpage

She has the spray in bed liner from Ascension Liners and a Black "Undercover" Hard Tonneau Cover.

She purchased the truck new and it has 72ish K miles, she has ALL service records on the truck and it has new tires, I would guess (Would have to check records) less than 10K miles on tires. Lil truck is in EXCELLENT condition!

IF any of you are car dealers OR have valid knowledge what this lil truck is worth please let me know!
    I know what KBB says its worth but after talking to a few people, they say due to this being a somewhat rare vehicle, the value is somewhat higher than that of KBB.

Any help would be appreciated!

KT

Last edited:

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    Did you check NADA? What cab?

Regular cab has $8875 clean trade in & $11750 retail
    Crew cab has $12150 trade in and $15325 retail
    extended cab is $10500 trade and $13550 retail

This is all assuming a 5 cylinder engine.

The xtreme package is cosmetically different so at best it will let you haggle a bit more for trade-in NADA value.

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Yes it is the gas saving of a 4, power of a 6........5 cylinders, well that is what Chevy has pushed this engine as.......
    Yes it is a 4 door crew cab as well.
    No I did NOT check NADA as I said it will be the same as the Kelly Blue Book....probably not an accurate assessment due to the rarity of this pickup......They are virtually impossible to find and almost non existent in this condition!

I will get pics later today, in fact it is at Surpreme Chevy right now getting oil changed, 27 point (not sure that is a true number but you get the idea) inspection, radiator flush, oil change (Mobile One Synthetic) tires roated and blanced and no telling what else my wife directed them to do.......

Last edited:

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    I'll give you 5 dolla, some pocket lint, a straw wrapper, and some properly broken in bubble gum, fer it...

Seriously though, are you asking for a trade in value, or private sale?

You know they're not going to give you high book on trade...
    It's a matter of what you're willing accept for it, if you decide to trade it..

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Take what it's "worth," and subtract about 15% and that's what you should expect to get from a private party, take off about 20-25% for trade-in.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Yes it is the gas saving of a 4, power of a 6........5 cylinders, well that is what Chevy has pushed this engine as.......
    Yes it is a 4 door crew cab as well.
    No I did NOT check NADA as I said it will be the same as the Kelly Blue Book....probably not an accurate assessment due to the rarity of this pickup......They are virtually impossible to find and almost non existent in this condition!

I will get pics later today, in fact it is at Surpreme Chevy right now getting oil changed, 27 point (not sure that is a true number but you get the idea) inspection, radiator flush, oil change (Mobile One Synthetic) tires roated and blanced and no telling what else my wife directed them to do.......

I wouldn't call the Xtreme package rare. Now the old Typhoon & Cyclone packages were rare (S10 Pickup and S10 Blazer that were turbo V6 with All Wheel Drive).

However, given that the NADA for Crew cab has $12150 trade in and $15325 retail, as Alex pointed out, so The sales manager will try and to give you somewhere between $8k and $11k on trade in. Just keep your eyes open when they start that haggling stage with writing numbers on paper. Most times they won't tell you what your trade in is going to be, they'll just give you the bottom line on the new car minus any rebates and your trade in.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Anyone with any dealership knowledge at all knows ONE THING! There is trade in dollar value and paper value. I know this well. Number ONE reason I kept my 2001 Z71 when I purchased my 2010 Ford back in December, I wasn't going to "DONATE" my truck to them just to drive theirs off the lot.

It's no rush, "YET" my wife isn't sure what she is wanting, after she drove three vehicles she isn't sure which one she wants....so I have anywhere from 24 hours to 6 months to decide if I am going to post hers 4-sale or not.

About to find out here in a bit what they may offer in a trade.....

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I wouldn't call the Xtreme package rare..

CrkdLter, PLEASE do not take this wrong........FIND 4 2006 to 2008..... For sale in Louisiana with less than 80k miles! Find a RED one that meets this criteria.
    Find 1 for sale in EXCELLENT condition in Mississippi, Louisiana,Texas.....with under 80K miles. RED!
    Not as popular as you think! When we bought this one we had to have it transported in to the state.......There wasn't a dealership in the state that had one.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    That's because these are more funnerer...
    five-sporty-2010-toyota-tacoma-x-runner.jpg

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/five-sporty-mainstream-models4.htm
    It might seem odd to put a pickup truck among this list of cars, but the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner is as much sports car as it is rugged hauler. X-Runner has an extended-cab body with a 6-foot-long cargo bed and rear-wheel drive. It has a lowered sport suspension when compared with other extended-cab Tacomas. Under the hood is a 236-horsepower 4.0-liter V6 engine that pairs with a 6-speed manual transmission. This is the only powertrain combination available on this particular truck; those of you who might want an automatic transmission are out of luck.

Among sport-flavored pickups, X-Runner is probably the sportiest. Power is more than adequate, but what really impresses here is handling. This truck moves like a sporty car, with fine steering feel, good balance, and excellent grip. Though designed as a “play” vehicle, X-Runner can work pretty hard, too. Payload and towing capacities are solid for a performance truck, at 1,340 and 3,500 pounds, respectively.

For about $26,000, the Tacoma X-Runner comes standard with most every safety and convenience feature you might want. This truck is a unique blend of outright sportiness and practical sanity.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    CrkdLter, PLEASE do not take this wrong........FIND 4 2006 to 2008..... For sale in Louisiana with less than 80k miles! Find a RED one that meets this criteria.
    Find 1 for sale in EXCELLENT condition in Mississippi, Louisiana,Texas.....with under 80K miles. RED!
    Not as popular as you think! When we bought this one we had to have it transported in to the state.......There wasn't a dealership in the state that had one.

Hate to play devil's advocate, but when production is limited to how many people want one, and demand is so low that there are only a few in the area, does that mean the vehicle is rare or just not desirable?

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Hate to play devil's advocate, but when production is limited to how many people want one, and demand is so low that there are only a few in the area, does that mean the vehicle is rare or just not desirable?
    This...
    afterall, it's just a truck with an oddball engine, and a ground effects package.
    You could special order yourself a pink chevy cruze, with white leather interior...
    yea, it'd be rare as hens teeth, but not everyone would jump at the chance to buy one...

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville

This...
    afterall, it's just a truck with an oddball engine, and a ground effects package.
    You could special order yourself a pink chevy cruze, with white leather interior...
    yea, it'd be rare as hens teeth, but not everyone would jump at the chance to buy one...

Well I dunno, but maybe that is what makes such a vehicle "RARE" LIMITED PRODUCTION.....does COPO ring a bell? Maybe the Cobra GT500 KR....AMC Javelin, well maybe not the most sought after BUT damn sure enough valuable today.....Maybe you should look up RARE! I did not mention ANYTHING about Custom or "SPECIAL ORDER"

Further more I asked for those to comment that were either dealers OR had VALID KNOWLEDGE! Judging from your response, either of you has NEITHER!

The Xtreme package isn't just bolt on extras or accessories as you state.....the Xtreme has different suspension as
    well as and entirely different chassis from the rest of the Colorado line....call Chris at Supreme he knows this truck inside out. Anyway, just a few points that you wasn't asked about and decided to jump in without reading my entire OP!

BUT thanks for you’re "INVALID KNOWLEDGE" it is always at the very least somewhat comical......

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I gave you my knowledge in my first post. I just wanted to address your issue with your percieved value as to opposed to what you may actually get for it.

I've worked in every aspect of the automotive industry, other than manufacturing and financing, so I have a wee bit of experience.

Don't try to compare your S10 to a classic muscle car. Just look at the 12mi pacer, the only way it's gonna sell for more than $500 is if the right person comes along that absolutely has to have it, and actually has more money than sense. The classic car market is rediculously over inflated, considering those $200,000 Shelbys were selling for $4,000 in the late 80's early 90's in the exact same condition.

A Pontiac Aztec is rare, only 12k were made, but who wants one of those? A 2002 Mustang Cobra is rare, only 200 were made and they were all shipped the Australia.

117,855 Colorado/Canyons were built in 2006. In the 7 years that the truck was produced sales went from 144,668 in 2004 and dwindled down to 32,634 by 2010, so what does that tell you about demand?

I'm not trying to hate on your truck or say it's a bad truck, or worthless or anything like that, just presenting the facts from a completely unbiased angle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom