Wife thinks she wants new Vehicle, what is hers worth?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Everyone I know who has owned one of these style trucks has had major drive train problems with less miles then yours. I owned one and transmission failed around 37k. I dunno what the deal is but the colorado-canyon have gotten a reputation for being lemons. I would trade it soon.I took a hit and got rid of it and now just ride gsxr and wife drives CRV

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Thank you for making my point lol

I drew better looking vehicles on the backs of notebooks at 13 years old with an architects' ruler, which, by the way, I had no idea how to use other than as a straight edge, but those rulers were and are sooooo cool because they look like throwing stars from the side.

But one day 30 years future, we WILL see one on ebay, and we will want it. Mark my works, Bro.

Last edited:

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR

BUT thanks for you’re "INVALID KNOWLEDGE" it is always at the very least somewhat comical......

Wow. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in acquiring more than book value. Perhaps you can post up what the final selling/trade in price is to prove us wrong.

I've only got experience in the import market so learning about domestics would be interesting.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    I gave you my knowledge in my first post. I just wanted to address your issue with your percieved value as to opposed to what you may actually get for it.

I've worked in every aspect of the automotive industry, other than manufacturing and financing, so I have a wee bit of experience.

117,855 Colorado/Canyons were built in 2006. In the 7 years that the truck was produced sales went from 144,668 in 2004 and dwindled down to 32,634 by 2010, so what does that tell you about demand?

HUMMMM Well this looks like Apples to GRAPFRUIT, where is the VALID APPLES to APPLES data? Of cousre there are thousands of COLORADO and CAYONS built in 2006.....SO WHAT? How many Xtremes?

Take what it's "worth," and subtract about 15% and that's what you should expect to get from a private party, take off about 20-25% for trade-in.

This is valid and agreed with data, the rest of the stuff is personal opinion as far5 as I am concerned!
    Personally I think they will offer me in the neighbor of 13 and 14K trade allowance. We will see. Yeah I know you think I am smoking crack! Well there is NO real way for you to know except for what I tell you they actually offer me. But as I told him, I know what I will pay for the vehicle he has, and I know what I will take for mine. He NEEDS my MONEY, I only want his vehicle! :dunno:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I did some research on the Xtreme, but it seems that there is no data available on package production numbers. Couldn;t even find out how many crew/extended/regular cabs were sold, and nothing even close to colors, much less any other detail. All it shows is total sales volume.

My best advice is to not mention trade-in at all. Negotiate a cash price, do a LOT of diggin around on Edmund's and other sites like that. If you have USAA, they offer a car buying service to give you a great price. If you don't have USAA, let me know exactly what vehicle and options you want and I'll get the info for you.

I hate buying and selling cars, it's a PITA. When we got my wife her new car, I had to brief her on how we were going to work the deal and told her that she had no opinion while talking to anyone at the dealership. They will pit you and your wife against each other to either downgrade the vehicle, but not the price, or just to overwhelm you into not realizing what you're actually paying. Always make them do the talking, he who talks first, loses. This is actually taught to salesmen, vebatim.

The ABSOLUTE best thing to do is to have the entire deal worked up, don't sign ANYTHING, and leave with all of the paperwork. This way you can sit down in your house, comfortably, without any pressure and go over all the details. I'd be happy to help you with that as well. You'd be amazed at how much a small factor, hidden in the jumble of numbers, adds up over a few years.

My final piece of advice when working a deal; If you look around the table and you don't see the sucker, then you're it!

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA

Well I dunno, but maybe that is what makes such a vehicle "RARE" LIMITED PRODUCTION.....does COPO ring a bell? Maybe the Cobra GT500 KR....AMC Javelin, well maybe not the most sought after BUT damn sure enough valuable today.....Maybe you should look up RARE! I did not mention ANYTHING about Custom or "SPECIAL ORDER"

Further more I asked for those to comment that were either dealers OR had VALID KNOWLEDGE! Judging from your response, either of you has NEITHER!

The Xtreme package isn't just bolt on extras or accessories as you state.....the Xtreme has different suspension as
    well as and entirely different chassis from the rest of the Colorado line....call Chris at Supreme he knows this truck inside out. Anyway, just a few points that you wasn't asked about and decided to jump in without reading my entire OP!

BUT thanks for you’re "INVALID KNOWLEDGE" it is always at the very least somewhat comical......

WELL it seems like you have already made up your mind on how much you want for YOUR truck so why come on here and ask people for their opinion and then give them crap when they tell the truth. basically the truth is you bought half a truck with half a motor and now you want top dollar for it and when people in a round about way tell you that you will not get it you get pissed off. good luck with your trade but you are dillusional if you think you will get trade much less anything over what bood trade is.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I did some research on the Xtreme, but it seems that there is no data available on package production numbers. Couldn;t even find out how many crew/extended/regular cabs were sold, and nothing even close to colors, much less any other detail. All it shows is total sales volume.

My best advice is to not mention trade-in at all. Negotiate a cash price, do a LOT of diggin around on Edmund's and other sites like that. If you have USAA, they offer a car buying service to give you a great price. If you don't have USAA, let me know exactly what vehicle and options you want and I'll get the info for you.

I hate buying and selling cars, it's a PITA. When we got my wife her new car, I had to brief her on how we were going to work the deal and told her that she had no opinion while talking to anyone at the dealership. They will pit you and your wife against each other to either downgrade the vehicle, but not the price, or just to overwhelm you into not realizing what you're actually paying. Always make them do the talking, he who talks first, loses. This is actually taught to salesmen, vebatim.

The ABSOLUTE best thing to do is to have the entire deal worked up, don't sign ANYTHING, and leave with all of the paperwork. This way you can sit down in your house, comfortably, without any pressure and go over all the details. I'd be happy to help you with that as well. You'd be amazed at how much a small factor, hidden in the jumble of numbers, adds up over a few years.

My final piece of advice when working a deal; If you look around the table and you don't see the sucker, then you're it!

Good advice. I hear how they like to screw you when trading in.

BRitchieLCK

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, La
    My friend works at a local dealership and shared this with me when I was going to buy a car from him. The used car guy will only give you the amount that the bank would give a loan on the vehicle for. He said the banks go by the NADA. My car was a special edition that came in a exclusive color with a ground effects kit and interior accent that matched the exterior paint and only 2000 were made. Of the 2000 only about 500 were manual transmissions which mine is. The KBB on my car in fair condition was $11,500 and my car is good to execellent. The used car mgr offered me $9,000 and I looked at him like he had a penis growing out of his forehead. You would be way better off trying to sell it yourself. The Colorado is a really nice midsize truck. My bud has a red crew cab and it's fast as hell. He has had no drivetrain issues and has about 80K or 90K miles. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with it.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yes it is the gas saving of a 4, power of a 6........5 cylinders, well that is what Chevy has pushed this engine as.......
    Yes it is a 4 door crew cab as well.
    No I did NOT check NADA as I said it will be the same as the Kelly Blue Book....probably not an accurate assessment due to the rarity of this pickup......They are virtually impossible to find and almost non existent in this condition!

I will get pics later today, in fact it is at Surpreme Chevy right now getting oil changed, 27 point (not sure that is a true number but you get the idea) inspection, radiator flush, oil change (Mobile One Synthetic) tires roated and blanced and no telling what else my wife directed them to do.......

It looks as though you have "itsminesoitsworthmoreitis". Kelley Blue Book for sales price, or what the dealer will give for trade price. Do not buy new unless you are getting something special like a lifetime warranty or 0% financing, find a low mile used car. Carmax will usually offer to pay you more than most dealers will do on trade ins. $15,515 private party or $12,425 trade in. Shop the dealerships around and you can usually find one to give you a couple thousand more for the trade-in, then take that number to the dealer with the best price.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA

After you leave wait for the dealership to call you, because they will call when they need that extra sale for bonuses or to meet their quota, and you have more leverage.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    My 04 Canyon has 174K on the 5-cyl and has never missed a beat. Trans is still working fine as well. I love my truck.

I'll buy another, when I wear this one out.

blackboltss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Slidell
    I was in the car game for almost 3 years. You MIGHT get offered 6 grand. The dealership has to clean. Inspect, change fluids, and then have it take up lot space for the 6 months it is going to take to sell it for 9 grand. You would be better off trying to sell it yourself. KBB is a pos and should not be looked at for a selling price they are way off base with price.

Gossettc68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Take what it's "worth," and subtract about 15% and that's what you should expect to get from a private party, take off about 20-25% for trade-in.

Shoot, probably more than 25% in trade-in. Definitely try a private party sale first. I can't tell you the price of the vehicle, but I can offer some sound advice.

1: Sell Your Used Car Yourself! You can get $3,000 more for your car at online auto classifieds sites like http://www.cars.com/
    2: There are two "best times" to buy a car. The end of December is a good time for car buyers to buy a new car. Another good time to buy a car is July to October as new car dealers sell off cars at low prices to clear space for new car models.
    3: Negotiate Price: Not Payments and Not Your Trade-In. It's the question every car salesperson asks every pigeon: "How much do you want to pay per month?" And your only answer ought to be, "Zero."

When you're negotiating the price of a car, only deal with the price of the car. Don't talk about your trade-in, and don't let the sales staff steer the conversation to what the low, low monthly payments will be. If you've done your research, you know what a fair price for the car should be and you should be working hard to beat that. It's in the dealership's interest to confuse you and make up its profit by low-balling you on the trade-in or extending the length of your financing so that the car isn't paid off until after you've bankrupted Medicare. Make your deal based solely on the price of the car.

Of course you'll usually be able to make a better deal on a car pulled from a dealer's inventory rather than one that's special-ordered. And yeah, any car that's about to be redesigned or replaced will likely be easier to whittle down in price. But no matter what, keep the deal simple and negotiate strictly on price.

Sometimes the best strategy is just to sit down at a computer, call up the dealer locator on a manufacturer's Web site and just call all the dealers within, say, 100 miles and ask for their best price. Ask them to fax or e-mail the deal to you. Then you can call another dealer and ask them to beat that. Your goal here isn't to make friends with car dealers; it's to save money. You can also use Edmunds' dealer locator and get dealerships to submit bids.

4: If you must...Negotiate Your Trade-In. Tough economic times we are in, alot of people cannot pay out of pocke and sometimes it's not worth the hassle, Then go ahead and trade it in. But you should already know how much your trade-in is worth (Edmunds.com has plenty of used car valuation tools), and then negotiate the best deal there, one that's totally separate from the deal you made on your new car. ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS when you first start haggling NEVER mention your trade in until your about ready to sign the paperwork. Work them down then spring the trade in.

My neighbor across the street bought a used Dodge pick-up about 3 years ago for 21,000. He paid on it until he had about 19k left and then decided he wanted a new truck. He went to the same place and they offered him 9k trade-in value and he took it..Then added the rest to the new loan which put him near 50k in debt.

Good luck car shopping and here is a really good reference for you. http://www.carbuyingtips.com/

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    After doing some serching mine was a 05 and aparently had some kinda problem they found later. The 06 is suposed to be better but I'll never buy another one. Grabing f150 I think in Jan just because riding bike everyday for years now gets inconvienent. I'll be sure to get extended warrenty just in case so not to get burned again on modern junk vehicles. Good luck trying to get anywhere around NADA for trade. Probably get 7k trade in come here and say they gave you what you asked for :D

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    from past experience in the automotive sales business... look to get 5k. IDK how everyone does it, but we used to look up what they were going for at auction, screw kbb and nada, what it's worth doesn't matter, what matters to the dealer is if her can make a profit off it. Try and find out what dealer's auctions are selling a crew cab, 5cyl colorado for with similar miles. The Xtreme package is just a visual thing, the engine isn't that different. When you stop and look at it that way, you'll kick yourself for paying extra for the xtreme package when it adds no value to the truck when you're looking to trade it in.

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    from past experience in the automotive sales business... look to get 5k. IDK how everyone does it, but we used to look up what they were going for at auction, screw kbb and nada, what it's worth doesn't matter, what matters to the dealer is if her can make a profit off it. Try and find out what dealer's auctions are selling a crew cab, 5cyl colorado for with similar miles. The Xtreme package is just a visual thing, the engine isn't that different. When you stop and look at it that way, you'll kick yourself for paying extra for the xtreme package when it adds no value to the truck when you're looking to trade it in.
    This...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom