Wife's car was shot on I-12 last night

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Whoa. I knew my home made pellet gun was super-powerful, but I honestly had no idea it could reach Interstate 12 from the basin! Sorry, brother!

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Interesting...in the first pic I see a pattern of marks which are similar in appearance(to me anyway) of the small cuts in either a hollow point bullet or a powerpoint type bullet with the copper jacket cuts near the tip.

They aren't cuts, it just looks that way in 2d pic. The "burst" is paint fragments.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think situational awareness is going to help much with a sniper shooting at you from across the interstate.

It's not a matter of awareness of a sniper, more a matter of if someone was road raging and lighting up a car near you and fragments or strays start hitting the car, it's a good idea to pay attention and get the hell out of there, even if it means abandoning the vehicle in stand still traffic and hoofing it.

When I spoke to USAA about the claim, and I told them that the Deputies said it was a gun shot, she replied, "I've been getting a lot of claims on that lately." How in the hell can one claims agent hear "a lot of claims" without anything being in the news? I figured the liberal media would jump all over this sort of thing.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That sucks. I hope it was an accident....Like that stretch of road needs any more hazzards as it is. :eek3:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Here are 2 better pics. The first one is at full resolution, no zoom, the second one is zoomed in. I had to load them into flickr so they would't be shrunk down like photobucket does. It makes the starburst look much more like paint than jagged edges from a larger caliber round.

I just got back from dropping the car off and getting my rental. I love USAA, I drop off a car with leather, sunroof, heated seats and all that stuff, and the they give me is a brand new, 15mi on the odometer, Yukon XL with leather, heated seats, sunroof, and all that stuff. I love USAA.

6334781869_6940e24612_b.jpg

6334781875_227d8e6a5e_b.jpg

Last edited:

GOAT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    New Orleans
    I just got a new pellet gun last weekend and was trying to sight in the scope. It is a .22 pushing no more than 950fps. To make the story short it went through two layers of carpet on a fence and through about a inch and a half of siding. Scorched to rug too which I though was weird. I was no where near I12 so don't be sending no bills or anything. :ohreally:

BillnLA

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Albany
    There was something on the news a couple of weeks ago, but it happened around the Albany area. Two kids, 12 and 14 years old if I remember correctly, were shooting at vehicles traveling on Hwy 190 with a 22 rifle. Shot through the passenger window of one car but luckily missed the driver, and another shot through the back window of a van. They were both arrestred shortly after.

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    That looks like a pellet imprint, the worst part to me is if they were any distance away, they were aiming at her head and didn't account for the drop...........

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Maybe a .22 BB cap or CB cap. Years ago, traveling on I-10 westbound between Sulphur and Vinton I heard a loud snap hit the car. No broken windows so kept going. Later that day I did a walk around and their was a round hole punched in the passenger side pillar between the front and rear doors, about neck high for a passenger. If it was a .22 it was nearly on target for me. I was the only one in the car.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well there is one neighborhood filled with "famous people" right there north of sherwood, but for the most part there is the sound wall on that side as well.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yep...Looks like a pellet impact...
    Several years ago i stopped on Hwy.90 close to Raceland to try my luck at a little pothole perch jerking...
    Had not been there 10 min's when some locals drove by and threw a 16oz beer bottle at me....
    I'm pretty sure the 6 rounds of 22 mag. I threw back made a much bigger hole ...just say'n...

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Glad she's okay! Looks like if it had been of any heavier caliber there could have been problems a lot worse than body-work on the car.

Don't use that kind of language around me, I'll never own a GM vehicle, I already bought the company with the other 1% of us that have jobs.

This, I never understood. It's like paying for something and then throwing it away without using it. Logic behind it?

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Here's mine, but mine was shot while parked in my driveway by a neighbors kid 2 houses over. It's just larger than a quarter and very deep. I went to go talk to the father of the boy once I found out it had been shot, but they were gone every weekend for several weeks afterwards and I was working nights. This is on the pass front fender on my 02 Silverado. I knew the day it happened since my wife saw the boy with the BB gun and no father around and I had my truck pulled in backwards which exposed that side of the truck to him. If I catch him point that dang BB gun my way again, me and his Dad are going to have a long talk.

IMAG0321.jpg

Bam Bam

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    My mother and I were headed to Slidell one night when the passenger side back window of her car was shot on I-12. This was 20 years ago.

sevenpt62

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    hammond, la
    ask the body shop to look for a .22 projectile when they pull the door panel, if it didnt go through the interior panel it should still be in there.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    , and I told them that the Deputies said it was a gun shot, she replied, "I've been getting a lot of claims on that lately." How in the hell can one claims agent hear "a lot of claims" without anything being in the news? I figured the liberal media would jump all over this sort of thing.

Actually it happens fairly frequently. When I worked in N.O. it was probably 2x per month.

Remember, the media only reports what the local PD tells them about. Its rare that they go out and do their own reporting. No one hurt, it doesn't make the news.

Top Bottom