Wingmaster vs. Express

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Lots of opinions here and thats good. It's why I posted to begin with. We all formulate our opinions on our expiriences good and bad. I just bought the express so I guess I'll find out for myself. I know it's not the Cadillac of the 870's but as long as it's not a Pinto I'll be satisfied. And yes I did have a bad expirience with a Pinto. Hence my opinion. LOL
    Thanks for all the responses.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    What does low brass recoil have to do with anything?

It's not an Auto, it's a Pump. :dunno:
    I'm exactly as confused as you are, man. If anything, I'd think less powder means less force to expand the brass, and if it doesn't expand /as/ much as higher loads... wouldn't it be easier to extract? I couldn't explain it, but it was very repeatable, across multiple brands and types. I would try the Winchester black box and white box 12ga skeet loads, and some Federal I bought. I don't recall any difference in severity of the problem, but the problem persisted between the types. I boggled me. I even tried "polishing" the chamber. Some kind of soft but slightly abrasive cloth was used - was my dad's idea and execution another time I was at his place havin' fun.

I honestly don't know, and I long ago sold it off, with full disclosure, to a guy wanting to overhaul an 870 for some tactical project anyways.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hmm I could see that I guess. Does that Aluminum Casing have a smaller lip?

My dad has a Berretta that will not eject 8's. I also shot with a guy at the Dry Creek Ranch Clay Shoot who's Super Black Eagle II wouldn't eject Remington Premier STS Target shells.

However that's normally the case with Auto's and Low Brass. But Pumps? Never seen it.

Last edited:

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    You can take an express and change the few mims parts to machined. Just saying I would rather have the machined extractor.

Last edited:

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Remington says you can't use a magazine extension without modification that will void the warranty. What's involved and why would it void the warranty?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Remington says you can't use a magazine extension without modification that will void the warranty. What's involved and why would it void the warranty?

There's two little nubs inside the mag tube that need to be Dremeled/filed off. It takes about 2 minutes. Not sure why it would void the warranty. They sell several Express models with factory extensions already in place.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    There's two little nubs inside the mag tube that need to be Dremeled/filed off. It takes about 2 minutes. Not sure why it would void the warranty. They sell several Express models with factory extensions already in place.
    Probably because they don't want to get into the legalese involved in exempting a specific modification, and opening up arguments for "Well you allow me to dremel out the mag tube without voiding the warranty, why don't you allow me to dremel the bolt to lighten it?" or something stupid like that.

Honestly, I don't know why the dimple the damn thing to begin with. Especially, if what you say's true, that they sell Express models with extensions in place! Weird.

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I would guess the dimples you refer to are to keep the push and twist mag spring plug in place. Looks like I have a little dremel work to be done. If I ever go back to using a 3 shot plug I can always get a standard wingmaster spring plug to install or make my own.
    thanks for the help.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Wow, so after looking at that Tactical model of 870 Express, and talking to a buddy who chimed in that he owns one - those are exceptional pieces. I don't mean that complimentary, I mean that it's quite the exception. The barrel ring and mag tube is a whole different design and you can't use standard 870 barrels in the Tactical model, and they don't (at the time he checked) make replacement barrels of different lengths for the Tactical model. You buy that Tactical and you're SOL on Remington parts for mag tube / barrel unless you replace both, it seems. If you replace both the mag tube and the barrel, you may as well just buy a new 870 Express the way you want, because you're in the same price range, I bet.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Wow, so after looking at that Tactical model of 870 Express, and talking to a buddy who chimed in that he owns one - those are exceptional pieces. I don't mean that complimentary, I mean that it's quite the exception. The barrel ring and mag tube is a whole different design and you can't use standard 870 barrels in the Tactical model, and they don't (at the time he checked) make replacement barrels of different lengths for the Tactical model. You buy that Tactical and you're SOL on Remington parts for mag tube / barrel unless you replace both, it seems. If you replace both the mag tube and the barrel, you may as well just buy a new 870 Express the way you want, because you're in the same price range, I bet.

I think they were having issues with some of the extension tubes, so they are going with a one piece design now. That's what I've gathered from recent research anyway. Probably is more cost effective to just buy a shotgun for each purpose. If it's more reliable I don't see it as a deal breaker.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I purchased my 870 Express Magnum when I used to have a hunting lease in the marshes of Pecan Island, some time in the 90s. I wanted something cheap, that worked, and I didn't care if it got abused tracking through the marsh. It is still going strong, but man does it ever look like crap.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I purchased my 870 Express Magnum when I used to have a hunting lease in the marshes of Pecan Island, some time in the 90s. I wanted something cheap, that worked, and I didn't care if it got abused tracking through the marsh. It is still going strong, but man does it ever look like crap.

I call it 'Seasoned' ;)

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area

Agreed, our bedside/travel express is dragged everywhere we go. It's my wifes go to for most everything and it gets more and more beat to death but keeps running and I don't care what it looks like. My old wingmaster is just a beautiful piece that stays in the safe and gets shot for doves and skeet and would pull double duty if things went to hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom