Winterizing generator?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Well I have this brand new genny I got for Isaac and I would like to know the best way to care for it when I am not using it. It's got about 35-40hrs on it.

I was thinking about just draining the gas and let it run out the stuff in the carb. Anything else I should do? Seafoam?

I don't see myself using it for anything else during the year. It's too big (6000W) to bring bow fishing and I don't tailgate really, so I probably won't be using it unless another hurricane pops up so it could be a while (hopefully)...

Last edited:

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I believe some mfgs recommend running them 30min. every other month.

Or a little seafoam in the cylinder, replace plug, gently pull starter cord a coupla times to spread it.

Personal preference.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have one I have used for about 6 years, all I do is keep the tank full and use sta-bill fuel stabilizer. I start mine and let it run a minimum of once a month. Never had an issue.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Like a boat that doesn't get used much, if you can run it every month for a min. of 15 minutes and if possible, run 100% gasoline in it. Most require an oil change after 24 hrs so change that and use what the manual says--maybe high detergent SAE 30..Sta-bil is not a bad idea either but doesn't guarantee you won't have a problem with it if it sits for a long period laying up till next season.
    I used to run mine every quarter with stabil in it and still had carb problems, usually crap in the bowl and a restricted pickup. Mine is a honda power boss and luckily the carb is easy to get to!

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans

Or a little seafoam in the cylinder, replace plug, gently pull starter cord a coupla times to spread it.

Personal preference.

If you seafoam it I guess you don't really have to run it every month?

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    Does you gen have a metal or plastic tank? If metal, it is best to leave it topped off and treat the gas. The more air space that is in a tank, the more condensate that will build up on the bottom of the tank (water heavier than fuel) and can start to rust the bottom of a metal tank.

My JD gen has a metal tank and I leave it topped off with treated gas at all times. I also run it every month or two. One thing I recommend doing when you run it is put a load on it. A space heater on high or set of halogen work lights work good for this. I prefer http://mystarbrite.com/startron/ fuel treatment over sta-bil.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    If you seafoam it I guess you don't really have to run it every month?

What Leonidas described is to keep the cylinder walls clean and lubed, but does nothing for the carburetor. Running it every month keeps fresh fuel in the carb that helps prevent varnish build up. The fuel in the carb sours much quicker than in the tank since it is in a smaller quantity. Running the carb 'dry' does not do too much to help since the only way to run it fully dry is to take it off and empty it. There is still some that remains in the bottom that will turn to gunk if not treated.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La

I have been told this could be bad on the oil because you heat up and cool down the engine and reintroduce moisture into the engine and eventually into the oil each time.

I drained the gas
    Rain it til it died
    Changed the oil with Amzoil
    Remove the spark plug and pour alittle oil in the cylinder. Then pull the cord a few times to coat the cylinder walls.
    Put the spark plug back in and pull the cord til it is on the compression stroke and both valves are closed.

Should be good to go til the next hurricane.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    + 1 for Starbrite's StarTron gas treatment. It helps to stabilize gasoline with ethanol added. Ethanol's downside is that it attracts moisture/water.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    If you want to let it sit for extended period, the best thing for the carb would be to run it dry with Sta-bil gas. I don't have a generator, but have to fix all my neighbors every hurricane as I am good with carbourators. I noticed that even people who put sta-bil gas in and let it sit, it went bad in the carb after all this time. Also, those who let it run dry without sta-bil, some still had problems as the residual fuel at the bottom of the bowl crystalized and blocked the jets, or dried in jet passages causing surging while running. If you are inclined, and if I had a generator, I would take off the carb, dissassemble and spray with cleaner, airdry and out it back on. About 20 min worth of work for a first pull start gaurnteed.

drumz2129

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Sulphur, La.
    I have been told this could be bad on the oil because you heat up and cool down the engine and reintroduce moisture into the engine and eventually into the oil each time.

If you do not let the engine and oil get to proper operating temp moisture could be a problem. 30 minutes is plenty of time with our climate to vapor off any moisture build up in a small gen's crank case and exhaust system.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    If you want to let it sit for extended period, the best thing for the carb would be to run it dry with Sta-bil gas. I don't have a generator, but have to fix all my neighbors every hurricane as I am good with carbourators. I noticed that even people who put sta-bil gas in and let it sit, it went bad in the carb after all this time. Also, those who let it run dry without sta-bil, some still had problems as the residual fuel at the bottom of the bowl crystalized and blocked the jets, or dried in jet passages causing surging while running. If you are inclined, and if I had a generator, I would take off the carb, dissassemble and spray with cleaner, airdry and out it back on. About 20 min worth of work for a first pull start gaurnteed.

I need to do this with my chainsaw. It wouldn't start last week.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Lot's of good advice.

Seems the one consistent idea is to run it once a month and avoid all those issues. Fuel stabilizer is a given. I've used Seafoam for 20+ years with nary an issue.

Golden-Eagle

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Mandeville
    All good advice. I put Stabil Ethanol Marine treatment in all gas run through my mowers, generators, chainsaws and weed eater devices. On the generator I run the gas out of the carb before long term storage. If the fuel is unused for a year or longer, I remove it and replace it with new treated fuel before pulling the rope. We have used our generator for four storms and it has cranked on the first pull each time.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I have a 5,000 watt generator that I've owned since 1998. All I've ever done is change the oil, drain the gas (I only use non-ethanol fuel) and run the engine until it runs out of fuel. It has sat for as long as 5-6 years and I've not had a problem with it.

Top Bottom