Winterizing generator?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    I bought one of these Honda Generators from Sams Club in Houma back in 2006.
    Honda-Generator2.jpg

Took it home, filled it up with 93 octane treated with Sta-bil fuel stabilizer. I run it at least once a month for about 1-2 hours on various loads, the smallest load is a fridge and window unit.

After Gustav, changed the oil and kept the same routine. Did the same thing with Ike and again with Isaac.

I firmly believe that running it on a load at least once a month adds to the longevity...

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I don't winterize anything . I run my generator for about 10 minutes every 3-4 weeks . During the winter , I crank my mowers , etc. per the same schedule . This way there are no surprises . I know everything will run when needed .

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    I have one I have used for about 6 years, all I do is keep the tank full and use sta-bill fuel stabilizer. I start mine and let it run a minimum of once a month. Never had an issue.

+1 -- I've got two portables, several years old. They're in the same shed with my motorcycles so about every month I just roll them outside, crank them both, and let them run for a while as I do other stuff. Like AK shooter, never had one problem with starting or running.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have had my gen since 1993 smaller Generac with 8hp briggs cast iron sleeve. I used it on job sites regular then would sit and not be used as it was just for Houses that had no temp poll yet. Lots of hours on it.
    Back in the old days I would use 110 with lead for my race car as it has stabilizers and last long long time watered down 50/50 with regular unleead.
    I now keep Gas in 15 gallon steel barrels that had race fuel in it with a double dose of Stybil
    A good sealed with gasket, steel barrel with Stybil helps plenty on gas life. I just used gas last week that was bought and stored in September 2008 a simple barrel wrench for the hole works great and a cheap plastic hand pump from granger gets the fuel right out.
    I Do change the oil with fresh 30wt after a long run like we just had 6 days 24/7 let it run a little turn the gas cock off let the carb run dry. Then dran the tank and put a new fuel filter on.
    It is ready right now to be filled with gas and new gas is in the barrels waiting.
    The sealed steel barrels is key with keeping gas long term plastic will let the gas go bad in 1-2 years.
    I have used gas as old as 5 years and a few months with this method

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Lot's of good advice.

Seems the one consistent idea is to run it once a month and avoid all those issues. Fuel stabilizer is a given. I've used Seafoam for 20+ years with nary an issue.

I agree about running it frequently. I do so about every other month, but it's pretty much the same thing. I've had my Briggs and Stratton 5kw for over five years, and I crank it up and run a fridge as often as I can, and it still cranks on the first pull every time. I don't bother to run it dry, myself. Take care of your motors, and they will take care of you.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    My personal experience. Stabilize the gasoline with Sta Bil. Turn tank off and run carb. dry. Run every couple of months. What ever gasoline is left at a year in the tank. Drain and use in lawn equipment. Replace with fresh stabilized gasoline, change oil. Repeat or use. This has worked well for me.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    I used one every fill up while I was flying ultra lights . Never had any trash or water related fuel problems. Maybe not as important where you can get out and walk.

Are they common in the ultra light world or is it something you decided to use on your own?

Top Bottom