Woman hears "bullets breaking the sound barrier", another sites hot tub interference.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cookiemonster

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Vidalia, La
    Is this range next to a residential neighborhood? I probably wouldn't want to hear gunshots all the time either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Seems like a nonissue to me. I've never heard gunfire when standing outside of most indoor ranges I've been to. Even though with rifle lanes. Maybe if I /tried/ to hear it I could, I dunno.

I grew up in the country with a lot of land between houses... you'd hear gunfire all the time but it wasn't LOUD LOUD... and I wager it isn't ever LOUD LOUD to the neighbors either.

At work, we do a lot of rezoning of properties when someone hires us for site development and building design. Every time you rezone, you have to put up a sign for, I believe 30 days, prior to the meeting with the council to approve the rezoning. There's always some ******* wanting to oppose it for the sake of opposing it because they'd rather an empty field be there. It's just selfishness, rarely based in fact.

People have opposed having a quiet office building for paperwork and clerks to work at without any involvement of the public. Just a simple office building, single floor, looking like an oversized residential house. Just a place for a cube farm and some office so they could do the admin work for a bunch of field-workers in the home-medicine industry. People still complained. Said it would be "noisy" and that it would increase traffic dramatically and came up with all sorts of complaints.

A gun range just /seems/ more likely that the complaints are true... I'm sure it's ********. It was apparently already a gun range, it just closed after Katrina.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I cannot tell if the writer is pro-gun or not.... I think that is good.

However, he seems a little more pro since he used quotations that made the people against it seem pretty foolish. LOL

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Doesn't really surprise me too much. The range is along side a residential area and hasn't been in operation in a very long time. If the range was fairly quiet before, people probably don't remember it being quiet. Most of the people in the area probably have moved in since Katrina, Arabi got it bad and just like the rest of St. Bernard a lot of people left.

I've been to the range, its in pretty bad shape, but enough work and money can fix almost anything. That said, it is going to take a pretty nice sugar daddy to get the thing spray foamed cleaned, remodeled, etc. my opinion of Brannon aside, its hard to argue that a range in Arabi is bad for the gun community in St. Bernard.

geauxbubba

"No Comment"
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Lacombe
    If they do it right you won't hear anything outside. I just left FITS this morning and there was at least 6 people shooting. I couldn't hear the tiniest pop until I stepped inside. I was listening very hard for the sound barrier too! :)

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Do you think they go faster the farther they go? ;)

LOL. Not sure really. Just thought they had to travel a certain distance or at a certain speed to break the sound barrier. Isn't that the difference between supersonic and subsonic.

I remember from back in the day that:
    S= Super
    U=Unique
    P= for perfection cuz you no dat we is freaks!
    E= for exotic
    R...... you know the song.

;)

Seriously though....

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    LOL. Not sure really. Just thought they had to travel a certain distance or at a certain speed to break the sound barrier. Isn't that the difference between supersonic and subsonic.

I remember from back in the day that:
    S= Super
    U=Unique
    P= for perfection cuz you no dat we is freaks!
    E= for exotic
    R...... you know the song.

;)

Seriously though....

Breaking the sound barrier has nothing to do with distance traveled, only speed traveled. If you shot a rifle and the projectile only went 1 inch from the muzzle but was going 2600 fps, its still breaking the sound barrier. A subsonic projectile is just one that never is traveling faster than (about) 1080fps.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    Breaking the sound barrier has nothing to do with distance traveled, only speed traveled. If you shot a rifle and the projectile only went 1 inch from the muzzle but was going 2600 fps, its still breaking the sound barrier. A subsonic projectile is just one that never is traveling faster than (about) 1080fps.

Thanks

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    At 50 yds you probably would not be able to separate the muzzle blast from the sonic 'crack'. At 600 you can easily hear the bullet crack as it goes over then the bang of the muzzle blast reaches you later. .223 .308 and similiar with a MV of 2600 - 3000 in the 600 yd example.

Last edited:

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I shot at the old range there as a kid. Sound was never an issue. If anything the Parish needs the increased tax revenue.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Might not have been a bullet, it might have been SUPERMAN he's faster than a speeding bullet. Didn't any of you watch SUPERMAN when you were kids? :D

Top Bottom