World peace...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I've had my Facebook account bombarded recently with the "Stop Kony" messages. Everyone is barking about stopping Kony and even going as far as calling for end to violence in all third world countries.
    And it got me wondering...
    am I the only one here who prays for world peace for the main purpose of cheap, poorly manufactured firearms flooding the civilian markets and driving down gun show prices?

Just wondering...

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Ok just read an article. He is a warlord accused of killing 30,000 Ugandans using an army of children.

So now everyone wants to post stop Kony so they can feel like they are helping stop tyranny.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    On October 13, ICC Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno Ocampo released details on Kony's indictment. There are 33 charges; 12 counts are crimes against humanity, including murder, enslavement, sexual enslavement, and rape. Another 21 counts of war crimes include murder, cruel treatment of civilians, intentionally directing an attack against a civilian population, pillaging, inducing rape, and forced enlisting of children into the rebel ranks. Ocampo said that "Kony was abducting girls to offer them as rewards to his commanders."[SUP][citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony

So if the Army of God in the US is an example, Mr Koby would be pro life and willing to kill to prove it

the article also says he wants to govern by the Ten Commandments, so that would make Uganda a Christian Nation ?? No, you need a mooozlem president for that...no wait, aw, this is makin my head hert[/SUP]

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Ahh, to be surrounded by fellow Realists (in terms of International Relations).

Of course one could argue that this is a domestic situation, but... do we really count Uganda (or many of those troubled African and Middle Eastern "nations") as a state? Warring tribes and factions, ineffectual or non-existant central government... No, not so much.

In theory, you could achieve world peace in a couple of ways... Commonality amongst all the worlds people, in terms of values, culture and religions. Or utter hegemony and sheer totalitarian dominance of the world population-- you can't fight because the greater power crushes you immediately and wholly.

The former appeals to a bleeding heart; the latter, to a cold and calculating thinker (whom if you told that the ruling force would NOT support their own values and beliefs, they'd be against it). Neither are ever going to happen...

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Some people on facebook think they're being activists by watching a 30 minute video and sharing it. I don't claim to be. But anyone can make a 30 minute video to make you feel sad. Even though Kony is a terrible person, nobody on Facebook is doing anything about it except tearing up like when they watch the ASPCA Sarah Mclaughlin (sp?) commercials.

What's even worse is that the project that made that video supports military intervention...by funding the Ugandan army. Now how do you take down a man with an army of children without killing children? And I guarantee the Ugandan army doesn't care anyway...they rape and loot like every other militia on that continent.

I think the Red Cross to support a cause, we have a clear understanding of what they do and they are all over the place. IMHO.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Some people on facebook think they're being activists by watching a 30 minute video and sharing it. I don't claim to be. But anyone can make a 30 minute video to make you feel sad. Even though Kony is a terrible person, nobody on Facebook is doing anything about it except tearing up like when they watch the ASPCA Sarah Mclaughlin (sp?) commercials.

Actually, I think you are completely wrong here. Popular support for anything can and does incite change. In this case, will it get enough momentum? Maybe, maybe not. Facebook is an incredible tool for causing people to move one way or another. We might think that facebook is stupid and it's just a way for people to find out stuff about you that you don't want out there, but it's a company that started in 2004, has over 845 million users, and generates 3.7 billion in revenue. That is scary powerful.

Can these people harness that power to make a change? Absolutely. Do they have the smarts to pull it off? I don't know, but there are lots of people here talking about it.

Also, ASPCA is a group who asks for donations so they can put animals out of their misery... if they need it or not, it doesn't matter. It's a shame that they put little commercials out there that makes a poor puppy look like a starving kid in Ethiopia asking for money to help these poor animals where they really just want your help to put animals out of their misery. They are a bit of a disqusting organization who actively work against other groups who want to manage animal populations in a way that doesn't mean putting animals to sleep at every opportunity. /ASPCA rant.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    In theory, you could achieve world peace in a couple of ways... Commonality amongst all the worlds people, in terms of values, culture and religions. Or utter hegemony and sheer totalitarian dominance of the world population-- you can't fight because the greater power crushes you immediately and wholly.

The former appeals to a bleeding heart; the latter, to a cold and calculating thinker (whom if you told that the ruling force would NOT support their own values and beliefs, they'd be against it). Neither are ever going to happen...

The world came close to the latter; Hitler and The ancient Romans.

Everyone else were posers! ;)

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Actually, I think you are completely wrong here. Popular support for anything can and does incite change. In this case, will it get enough momentum? Maybe, maybe not. Facebook is an incredible tool for causing people to move one way or another. We might think that facebook is stupid and it's just a way for people to find out stuff about you that you don't want out there, but it's a company that started in 2004, has over 845 million users, and generates 3.7 billion in revenue. That is scary powerful.

Can these people harness that power to make a change? Absolutely. Do they have the smarts to pull it off? I don't know, but there are lots of people here talking about it.

Also, ASPCA is a group who asks for donations so they can put animals out of their misery... if they need it or not, it doesn't matter. It's a shame that they put little commercials out there that makes a poor puppy look like a starving kid in Ethiopia asking for money to help these poor animals where they really just want your help to put animals out of their misery. They are a bit of a disqusting organization who actively work against other groups who want to manage animal populations in a way that doesn't mean putting animals to sleep at every opportunity. /ASPCA rant.

Maybe I am not understanding but how would this bring about change? The only realistic way I can think of would be to convince the UN to take action, but I think they would have to have something to gain in order to go in.

Either way it got us talking about it.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Maybe, but I still don't care! :D

There are few western African nations that aren't slaughtering, torturing, opressing their people. You'd think that blacks (I'm sorry; African Americans), in America would give more of a s**t about their brothers over yonder. :dunno:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Maybe I am not understanding but how would this bring about change? The only realistic way I can think of would be to convince the UN to take action, but I think they would have to have something to gain in order to go in.

Simple, as any idea becomes more and more popular, there will be people with power who will seek to capitalize on it.

Top Bottom