Worth a look

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

OR

Dumb thinking#( *&#$twitch....'#%*..JERK(#@&#..jerk agaIN HARdER(#^&#BANG!!(#O(&...PAIN!! WTF?!!?!?

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Also, I don't much care about his premature disengagement of the safety. That's a NON issue. My M&P doesn't HAVE an external safety. It fires when I pull the trigger, and the trigger isn't much heavier-on-the-pull than my dad's Colt 1911 series 70 OR series 80. The safety is a non issue. It's a red herring.

(sorry for the long rant. crap on the net like this pisses me off. doubly so when it gets positive/supporting commentary)
    I listened to his story a few times and from what I gathered, he had done quite a few reps on a thumb release holster (which you release with your thumb like you would a thumb safety) then switched to the serpa. So, when he drew, he "released" the thumb release, actually releasing the safety but missed the trigger release. naturally he went back for the release and the finger drug the holster. The safety was already disengaged from the muscle memory movement from trying to release the thumb release so, well, then the fun happened.

I'm not saying the guy is a dumbass and didn't **** up but I would venture to guess he's done more than a few of these and he wasn't "gung-ho-commando." All of the Serpa issues I've ever heard of are mostly FoF/stress type stuff but this is a new one. Granted, a lot of things have to come into play for something like this to happen (as evidenced here) but, in my opinion, removing certain variables helps decrease the percentage and removing a non-natural manipulation of your trigger finger is one of them.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Hey, the guy made a mistake and shot himself in the leg. He didnt have to post the video. He did it so others can see just how fast things can happen and possibly learn from his mistake....cause mistakes do happen.

Im thankful I myself have never had one but when I was pretty young a friend of mine had one and I caught his 9mm slug with my calf muscle. Not a fun experience but one that taught a great lesson.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    He seems to do a lot of videos "Just to clarify". Holy crap..... dude went full ninja commando to roll around the floor of his garage. :mamoru:

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I watched the video again when I could actually pay more attention, and I don't see any reason to fault the guy. He ****ed up, and explained what happened without making excuses for himself. It would have been easy for him to blame the Serpa.

It does bring up an issue I have always felt strongly about, while having all types of guns and gear is super neato...My personal philosophy is to train with and carry ONE gun in ONE holster. It takes infinite dedication just to become competent with one rig, playing "gun of the day" is just asking for trouble. This video demonstrates exactly that. When you start doing things fast and/or under stress your brain goes into stupid mode and won't keep track of which gun you have on your side and what holster it's in. And then you'll shoot yourself in the leg. :o

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I watched the video again when I could actually pay more attention, and I don't see any reason to fault the guy. He ****ed up, and explained what happened without making excuses for himself. It would have been easy for him to blame the Serpa.

It does bring up an issue I have always felt strongly about, while having all types of guns and gear is super neato...My personal philosophy is to train with and carry ONE gun in ONE holster. It takes infinite dedication just to become competent with one rig, playing "gun of the day" is just asking for trouble. This video demonstrates exactly that. When you start doing things fast and/or under stress your brain goes into stupid mode and won't keep track of which gun you have on your side and what holster it's in. And then you'll shoot yourself in the leg. :o
    Your post makes complete sense and I totally agree.

Have you been drinking?

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville

These are my thoughts on the matter as well. It's another reason I'm a fan of having at least two of the same firearm. If something happens to the normal carry firearm, there is another ready to take its place. There is no need to "relearn" another firearm.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    This is nothing about his gun, his gear, his anything owned.

This is about him being a retard and trying to go all cowboy, going too fast before he was ready.

Ahh spoken like a guy who dosn't own a holster that has been banned from certain ranges and schools b/c people get shot trying to use it as designed

First time I ever saw a serpa I said oh ****, that 'll get somebody shot in the ass...

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ahh spoken like a guy who dosn't own a holster that has been banned from certain ranges and schools b/c people get shot trying to use it as designed

First time I ever saw a serpa I said oh ****, that 'll get somebody shot in the ass...

People who ban holsters should ban guns too.

---I own and use several serpa holsters--

Last edited:

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Are ya'll saying the title of this thread should be changed to... "Some people shouldn't own Serpa holsters" ??

:rofl:

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    ***Disclaimer*** I have never owned a retention holster ***Disclaimer***

The design looks retarded. I saw one the other day that has you use your thumb between your body and the holster, looks way safer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    rmsize
    Top Bottom