Wtb Ar-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdogg873

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Montegut La.
    Maybe I am crazy but I would like to buy a good AR-15 and looking to spend about $900. I will drive a bit if need be. I drive from Kenner to Shreveport and back to Kenner 3 days a week. Thanks

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    What length barrel are you looking for 16, 20 or 24? You want a heavy barrel or a light weight? Flat top or Rear sight handle? A-2 stock or Car stock? No wonder you keep driving back and forth all week.:mamoru: Give us idea of what you want and maybe we can point you in the right direction. Your really running about 8 months behind in your choice. Be ready to spend so time waiting. These thing don't usually pop up unless your willing to spend way more than $900 hard earned American Dollars.

Beauxdog :cool:

bigdogg873

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Montegut La.
    I drive back and forth for work. lol, I want 16" as far as the rest I am very new to ar's so not sure. But since I joined I am sure you guys here will help me. But just looking to start with something simple and build from there. I really know I am behind the curve on getting one. Thanks

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    $900 is what ARs were selling for prior to the election--at least brands like S&W, Bushmaster, and Rock River. If you want to get something of moderate to good quality in that price range, you will need to get up to speed rather quick, and buy it in parts. This will take a little knowledge and some patience. You won't necessarily need to build it completely yourself, but you will have to buy an upper and a lower separately, which alone will save you about 10%.

If you find something now for $900, it will be something that would have sold for $650 prior to the election. Having said that, prices have seemed to slip back a little off of the highs. $900 pre-election rifles were selling for no less than $1200 a month ago, and have slipped back to about $1100 now.

My personal opinion is that the price drop is temporary as a lot of rifles have reached market, but eventually prices will rise again.

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Best Ive seen was at Cabels's for $999. I probably got a little over $900 in my build (but I bought a complete upper half locally)

If you dont mind a wait, you could order one and have sent to a FFL, or build one yourself.

redneckarmory.com was selling them for about $850 I think, but I have no idea about the quality.

A couple of weeks ago, I found several new ones in the $1000 range

LazyDaveD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Academy in Lafayette had a Bushmaster M4 profile with chromelined barrel for $999. I saw it Saturday. I didn't catch if it was A2 or A3 though.

bigdogg873

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Montegut La.
    Ok Ok when I said new I mean I like the looks of the AR and want one, so I am starting not knowing anything so I am here to learn. I know there are alot of you guys that would help. So thank you for all your help.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Ok Ok when I said new I mean I like the looks of the AR and want one, so I am starting not knowing anything so I am here to learn. I know there are alot of you guys that would help. So thank you for all your help.

Hope this helps. I have both a 16" and 20". If you are planning on shooting distances the 20" is the way to go.

The A1, A2, A3, and A4 all stand for the generational configurations of the M16 Rifle. A simplistic description of each version:
    -A1 Upper has the non removable carry handle and rear sight. Short butt stock
    -A2 Upper also has the non removable carry handle but the rear sight has an added elevation adjustment knob. Longer butt stock and a four position telescopic or collapsible stock.
    -A3 Upper is the Flat top uppers
    -M4 with a flattop upper, carbine gas system, fatter hand guard and variations included additional weapon systems such as a grenade launcher and shotgun attachments. I ask to be corrected if I have made a mistake, however this is my understanding of this firearm and it’s variations.

The pic below shows you the two.
    ARs.jpg

DL228

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Be patient the right one will appear for you are follow the others advice in buying parts from my understanding the rifle will drop another 100 and that will be it

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    -A1 Upper has the non removable carry handle and windage adjustable only rear sight. Does have forwards assist, but no brass deflector. There is a similar upper that has a brass deflector, but it is a C7 style upper.
    -A2 Upper also has the non removable carry handle but the rear sight has an added elevation adjustment knob, forward assist and brass deflector
    -Flattop Upper has no carry handle, but Picatinny rails for mounting iron sights or optics, forward assist and brass deflector.

Pain Man,
    The M16A3 is the Full Auto verison of the M16A2 (3 shot burst FCG), and the M16A4 is a flattop of the A2, with quad rails.

Last edited:

hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Hope this helps. I have both a 16" and 20". If you are planning on shooting distances the 20" is the way to go.

The A1, A2, A3, and A4 all stand for the generational configurations of the M16 Rifle. A simplistic description of each version:
    -A1 Upper has the non removable carry handle and rear sight. Short butt stock
    -A2 Upper also has the non removable carry handle but the rear sight has an added elevation adjustment knob. Longer butt stock and a four position telescopic or collapsible stock.
    -A3 Upper is the Flat top uppers
    -M4 with a flattop upper, carbine gas system, fatter hand guard and variations included additional weapon systems such as a grenade launcher and shotgun attachments. I ask to be corrected if I have made a mistake, however this is my understanding of this firearm and it’s variations.

The pic below shows you the two.
    ARs.jpg

Im pretty ignorant as far as ARs also, however I was under the impression that the M4 had to do with the feed ramps?? Also the barrel profile?? I know you can get a M4 heavy barrel too so I was confused. I could be totaly wrong though. I have a flat top with M4 feed ramps, so I guess I have a A3M4????

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    if you have a flattop upper in an M4 configuration, its just referred to as "M4 carbine", read my earlier post, the A3 and A4 are variations of the M16, standard length rifle.

here is a pic of feedramps for you.
    feedramps2.jpg

bigdogg873

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Montegut La.
    BS875 you are right I just picked it up. The pics don't do it right it is nice, now I just can't wait to go to the range. Heres another question guys where can and what kind of ammo should I put thru it??

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom