WTB - Remington 870P

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RentACop

RentACop
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Calhoun, LA
    Not sure if you are aware, but the only difference between a 870 and a 870P is the 870P has all steel parts in the trigger guard and the extractor. Oh and it says Police. You can normally pickup a cheap Express and put $100 into the trigger mechanism and extractor and have the same gun for cheaper.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Not sure if you are aware, but the only difference between a 870 and a 870P is the 870P has all steel parts in the trigger guard and the extractor. Oh and it says Police. You can normally pickup a cheap Express and put $100 into the trigger mechanism and extractor and have the same gun for cheaper.

The 870P has different:

Springs
    Sear
    Extractor
    Ejector
    Stock
    Receiver
    Metal finish
    No lock

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Is this the same with older pre-lock 870's? I knew about the wood and bluing, but didn't know about all the other stuff....

-Dave

I think that has always been the case with the 870P.
    Someone else may chime in with different information.

RentACop

RentACop
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Calhoun, LA
    870P parts

The 870P has different:

Springs
    Sear
    Extractor
    Ejector
    Stock
    Receiver
    Metal finish
    No lock

The 870P has a heavier spring, but that would be included in the $100 in the trigger mechanism that I spoke of. The sear, the ejector, the receiver, and finish are the same as on a current model 870 Express. If you order a brand new 870P from Remington today, it will have a different stock because they began installing the SpeedFeed stocks. But he wants a used one. The lock is no longer being installed on new models because too many people have lost the keys. I have a pretty good knowledge of what I am talking about. I am the 870 Armorer for my department and I ordered ten 870P's last month. If you don't want to take my word, then you can compare them on Remington's website. www.remington.com and www.remingtonle.com

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    The differences between the 870 Police and Express are many. Here is a list...

* Due to heavy recoil in buck and slug loads, all 870 Police guns have a longer
    magazine spring which ensures positive feed and function.

* A heavier sear spring is used to generate a reliable, positive trigger pull between 5
    and 8 lbs.

* A heavier carrier dog spring is used to ensure when the carrier elevates the shell, it
    will be held there until the bolt can push it into the chamber. This ensures positive
    feeding when using heavier payload rounds.

* The fore-end on the Express model is longer and not compatible with many police
    shotgun vehicle racks.

* The Police shotguns utilize the heavy duty SPEEDFEED Stocks and Fore-ends.

* The Express model has a BEAD BLAST BLUE finish while the Police models utilize
    either High Luster bluing or Parkerization.

* The Express model utilizes a synthetic trigger housing while the Police models use a
    compressed metal housing.

* The Police shotgun barrel is locked down with a “ball detent” system in conjunction
    with the magazine cap vs. a lesser grade “synthetic magazine spring retainer” lock
    down as used on the Express system.

* The receivers used in Police guns are “vibra honed” to smooth out rough finishes
    and remove burrs before parkerization or bluing.

* Police shotguns use machined ejectors and extractors, as opposed to powdered metal
    cast which are utilized on the Express models.

And I have a Brand NEW one for sale. I added a OEM +3 Remington extension tube to the shotgun.

PM me or email if interested.

Jub Jub

Cadillac
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Great info. Thanks. I just wanted the Police model because I had heard it was more reliable. I'll consider either one. Thanks.

Jub

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom