Xbox 360 Vs. PS3???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I'm debating both consoles, I haven't had either before. To those of you who can't imagine such a life, my old roomate had both. Therefore I got to play either almost whenever I wanted so it was pointless to buy one. I've since moved out and I'm getting the urge for my own gaming system. This led me to do alot of research and I've read and heard good and bad things about both. I can't justify Buying both at the moment and I doubt I would buy both even if money was no object. My question is, which system is best? I initially was just going to buy the ps3 for the blueray player but blueray players have come down enough in price to where its not really a deal breaker... I know xbox's get the red ring of death among other problems, but microsoft seems to be fairly good about repairing their console. On the other hand, ps3's have problems to, which apparently cost around 150 to repair whatever the problem is. Has anyone had negative experience with either? Any opinions are welcomed either way...

Thanks

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I had a 360 sold it to get a PS3. Because

A- Blue ray player ( you buy a blue ray separate your looking at a minimum of approx 100 bucks)

B- Free online game play (Xbox was charging 12 bucks a month)

C- Wireless built right into the PS3 (360 wirless adapter is approx 100 bucks)

just my 2 cents

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    New Xbox coming out. Same price as the old one with built in WiFi. IMO online gameplay is better, so it's worth the 50 bucks a year. Unless you need a BluRay player, I say 360.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    You'll also want to take a look at the handful of titles that come out on one system or the other, and decide if they're deal breakers or not. SOCOM and God of War, for example, are PS3 only.

Personally, I prefer certain systems for certain applications, and have one of each. As someone else noted, the new system with WiFi built erases my biggest criticism of the 360. FWIW, I think the 360's controller is better for almost all applications, but I feel like the PS3 has given me fewer functioning problems and is a better system (it's certainly got more "juice" and versatility).

As far as breakage or serious functionality issues, I haven't had a problem with either system as of yet-- knock on wood. I had a red ring of death for the 360, but only once, and it started up the next attempt and never gave me another issue. The drive sounds like a jet engine when the disc is spinning, but there's no untimely wear on any of the visible components.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I use my ps3 as a bluray player because it is the most supported bluray player in the world and it is likely to be able to play every bluray that ever comes out. You would be suprised how many players can't play alot of blurays and there are $1000 machines out there that no longer get updates and can't play new blurays.

I say both , but I have a ps3, wii and 360 all hooked up to a 125" screen.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    You'll also want to take a look at the handful of titles that come out on one system or the other, and decide if they're deal breakers or not. SOCOM and God of War, for example, are PS3 only.

Personally, I prefer certain systems for certain applications, and have one of each. As someone else noted, the new system with WiFi built erases my biggest criticism of the 360. FWIW, I think the 360's controller is better for almost all applications, but I feel like the PS3 has given me fewer functioning problems and is a better system (it's certainly got more "juice" and versatility).

As far as breakage or serious functionality issues, I haven't had a problem with either system as of yet-- knock on wood. I had a red ring of death for the 360, but only once, and it started up the next attempt and never gave me another issue. The drive sounds like a jet engine when the disc is spinning, but there's no untimely wear on any of the visible components.

Another thing to keep in mind is the new 360 is quieter and has a built in harddrive versus the old system that has the HD ontop. I'm looking forward to picking one up. :D

Aberdog1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Kansas
    I have a 360 and have had it for 3 years. Take a look at the type of games you like to play and that might help you decide,it did for me. 360 has alot of 1st person and shooter games. My 360 got a lightning surge thru it over ayear ago and xbox fixed it for free. I just told them that about the red ring of death, I left out the lightning part. I'd wait for the new 360 thats coming out and then compare.

Frnchyse

Will work for ammo!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Metairie
    I prefer 360. Even though you have to pay for online service (not 12 its 8 bucks a month) it by far trumps PSN. Blu-ray players are cheap now and can be hooked up to the internet to update firmware constantly so that doesn't matter anymore. Also even though the PS3 is a more powerful system the 360 runs at a much higher frames per second since it runs off of a dvd drive and not a blu ray drive; so if you like a bunch of sports games then 360 is the better system.

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I prefer 360. Even though you have to pay for online service (not 12 its 8 bucks a month) it by far trumps PSN. Blu-ray players are cheap now and can be hooked up to the internet to update firmware constantly so that doesn't matter anymore. Also even though the PS3 is a more powerful system the 360 runs at a much higher frames per second since it runs off of a dvd drive and not a blu ray drive; so if you like a bunch of sports games then 360 is the better system.

My bad...Havent had my 360 for a little while. 8 bucks sounds right...I will also say I liked the 360 live interface better than I do my ps3 so the 8 bucks might be worth it to you.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I had a 360 sold it to get a PS3. Because

A- Blue ray player ( you buy a blue ray separate your looking at a minimum of approx 100 bucks)

just my 2 cents

All of this and my sons Xbox would not stay running long. Very fragile. Could not hardly move it. I knocked my brothers PS3 off of the dresser and it never missed a lick.

Cubsfan

Holy Cow!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Gretna, LA
    360. Only answer. I have PS3 and it is collecting dust. Use it only for Blu-ray. 360 has all of the best games, the best online experience, and systems seem to be much better built these days. Don't want to jinx my system by sharing how old it is though. Better controllers; you don't have to plug them into the machine to recharge, you can buy multiple batteries and even regular batteries if you like. Best bang for buck. Get the PS3 later. That's just my $.02

And I believe for Xbox live, a silver account is free, a gold account is $49.99 a year unless its gone up since I last paid.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

1: XBL has NEVER been $12. Ever!
    It's been the same price since it started.
    Once a year they charge my card EXACTLY $49.99.
    That would be like $4.16 a month or close to it.
    Or you can buy 3, 6 or 12 months Gold Cards from walmart.

2: Xbox now comes with FASTEST WiFi ever put on a console.

Plus Xbox Live is HUGE, it's an Entertainment system, not nearly just for gaming. You can hook your XBOX up to your PC via Windows Media and anything on your PC is now available on your TV via your XBOX.

*Without hooking it up to your PC JUST on Xbox Live you have, just to name a few they are always adding things)

ZUNE
    Twitter
    ESPN
    Facebook
    Netflix(WITH NO DISC NEEDED) :D
    Every option available on netflix.com is available on XBL. You can search and add to your instant que.
    Check it out -
    [youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BB02DuBnVDM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BB02DuBnVDM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Or you can download *NEW* movies, TV Shows, etc. They have as many as Amazon VOD.

About the Red Rings! - It's Been fixed on all new Xbox Consoles made since January anyway.

Plus the NEW XBOX is out! Same Price $299
    See it here - http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38035

(Yes RROD happens to some people, but there are literally MILLIONS of Xbox owners who have NEVER had the Red Rings and treat their box like crap)- Keep it in an open area, and you should have no problem!)

Xbox is leading in Online Gaming hands down, there's no secret there.
    XBL also has an 8 person Party chat.

I run an International Multi-Platform(360/PS3/PC) Online Gaming Community. This PS3 vs 360 War will NEVER end as there are fans to both. BOTH have there pro's and con's.

I've been with this gaming community for almost 4 years and I can tell you from that experience JUST GET WHAT YOU WANT.

However Fan boys will always bash the other one.

I wish i could afford both, I'd love to play some MAG and SOCOM.

You can also look at what titles remain a staple in the PS3 Community. We've supported some major PS3 Exclusive Titles that have FAILED miserably mainly b/c of the Game Developers themselves. Which is why people say XBOX is best when it comes to playing online.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    PS3 all the way.

Free online gaming is enough to make the decision for me. It's $50 a year or something. If you plan on having it for a few years then that's a ton of cash. Also you have to pay for a gold membership just to watch your netflix on it. Wii and PS3 let you access your netflix account for free.

Bluray player speaks for itself, a couple years ago this was a huge deal, but nowadays it still saves you $100 or so on a bluray player. Even if you wouldn't buy a bluray player normally, it's still pretty baller to have it as an option especially since blurays are getting close to the same price as DVDs these days.

And as said above the thing is completely wireless. Xbox you have to pay extra for wireless controllers (which eat batteries) and extra for wireless internet connection.

As far as system reliability goes. . . . I'd say it's a wash.

My PS3 (which I've had for a few years now) has broken down twice.
    First time I sent it back and was replaced for free (including shipping to and from Sony). Second time was a few months ago, the bluray laser went bad. I was out of warranty so Sony wanted $150 to take mine and send me a refurb, but I ended up buying a new laser on ebay and installing it myself for about $45.

My friends with PS3's have had no problems. I have however moved my PS3 around quite a bit from home to school and such, don't know if that has anything to do with it.

All of my friends that have had Xbox 360's have had them break once or multiple times. Some were warranty and some not. Xbox gets a bad rep for reliability but Sony isn't fantastic either. Still, all the money you save on Xbox live should pay for any out-of-warranty repairs on a PS3. PS3 is probably a little better on this but all in all it's a crapshoot.

Also you need to figure in personal preference. I don't much care for the big heavy 360 controller. I also have to have Gran Turismo and that will never be on the Xbox. The new slim PS3's are much better looking IMO than the big ugly 360. And finally I hate being nickeled and dimed like Microsoft does to its customers so the PS3 was a no-brainer.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    And as said above the thing is completely wireless. Xbox you have to pay extra for wireless controllers (which eat batteries) and extra for wireless internet connection.

I don't much care for the big heavy 360 controller.

The new slim PS3's are much better looking IMO than the big ugly 360.

Some of you PS3 guys have obviously never owned a 360. Those claims like the one's I addressed earlier are not a matter of personal preference they are just flat out false claims.

You don't pay extra for a wireless controllers, EVERY 360 comes with a wireless controller. You can also get the recharge kit, and never have to buy batteries again.

The New Xbox comes with the fastest wireless of any console and is the same size as the new Slim PS3. The Older version of both consoles are both MASSIVE.

It's a little hard to tell inthis picture but the PS3 is actually Bigger than the Xbox 360.

console-comparison-ps3-xbox-360-wii.jpg

New Xbox compared to the Last one;

Xbox-360-Slim-and-PS3-Slim.jpg

New PS3 Slim is BIGGER than the New Xbox
    PS3 Slim 290 × 65 × 290 mm and weighs 3.5kg.
    New 360 270 x 75 x 264 mm and weighs 2.9kg

As far as controllers, we'll that indeed is a personal preference but there's like 30 grams difference between the 360 Wireless and PS3 Dualshock.

I'm all about fair comparison, but outright spreading false info is not fair at all. :confused:

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Some of you PS3 guys have obviously never owned a 360. Those claims like the one's I addressed earlier are not a matter of personal preference they are just flat out false claims.

You don't pay extra for a wireless controllers, EVERY 360 comes with a wireless controller. You can also get the recharge kit, and never have to buy batteries again.

The New Xbox comes with the fastest wireless of any console and is the same size as the new Slim PS3. The Older version of both consoles are both MASSIVE.

It's a little hard to tell inthis picture but the PS3 is actually Bigger than the Xbox 360.

New Xbox compared to the Last one;

As far as controllers, we'll that indeed is a personal preference but there's like 30 grams difference between the 360 Wireless and PS3 Dualshock.

I'm all about fair comparison, but outright spreading false info is not fair at all. :confused:

I was unaware of a new Xbox. Looks better though. Looks like it costs the same as a PS3 now too.

Previously the bottom of the line xbox came with a wired controller. Even the "premium" one had no hard drive, no wireless, not even a HD-DVD player. "Every" 360 does not have a wireless controller.

Also the "recharge kit" crap is just another example of how microsoft nickels and dimes you.

My friends 360 controllers with AA batteries felt like they weighed a lot more than 30 grams more than a PS3 controller.

As far as looks I merely said I thought the new slim one looks a lot better than the 360, I don't believe I said it was smaller. Although the new one you just posted looks a lot nicer than the old one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joquinn1234567
    Top Bottom