Yellow Lab stole my intentions! What now?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Thanks Guys!
    thsmileyloveshy.gif

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    He eats the exact amount recommended on the bag per his weight and age. I feed him 4Health Performance which is 30/20 protein/fat.

He also gets run hard a few times a week training which will continue for another 8 months or so. Not to mention Hunting some this season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Thanks, you know what I noticed? That somehow I always seem to be slightly to his right in most front pics :doh:

I'll have to adjust myself :D

Edit> Oops. Forgot to crop out his wang in that first pic :doh: Fixed :p

Last edited:

tonen123

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Central, La
    I got a chocolate that is a pain in his puppy times right now, i am sure he will grow out of it and become the great dog that most labs become. He is 4 months old and rips up everything, but loves to play, and loves the water. I can not keep his 4 gallon water dish filled with water, he has a small kid pool to play in but prefers his water dish.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I got a chocolate that is a pain in his puppy times right now, i am sure he will grow out of it and become the great dog that most labs become. He is 4 months old and rips up everything, but loves to play, and loves the water. I can not keep his 4 gallon water dish filled with water, he has a small kid pool to play in but prefers his water dish.

Never experienced this with my dog. She's 11 months old and never chewed anything, destroyed anything, and responds to a number of commands.

But yeah, she's kinda small. A "worthless dog" as some would call her :rolleyes:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River

He needs a job. Get a work vest and run him.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

He needs a job. Get a work vest and run him.

Exactly Sandman. They are a working breed. If you don't work them, they will take out their energy on EVERYTHING ELSE! But he is a little too young to be working hard. Quickest way to tire a pup is to put them in the water. They'll frolic around in it and it's easy on their growing bones.

Tonen you should be providing him with chew toys. When he puts his mouth on something you don't want him to, pop him, tell him no and put something IN HIS MOUTH that he can chew on. ;)

If I go two to three days without training Chesty, (Which is basically running him 1000 yds or so on retrieves through high/low cover and water etc etc.) if I skip a few days in a row, he'll topple his dog house over, chew on it, when I do let him out to Air Out during feed time he goes bananas on everything.

So, I just train him as often as I can at this point. He doesn’t mind, and it keeps him sane. Plus I've raised him this way. All he knows is his job. He's either in the 10 x 10 Pen chillin', or Retriever Training. He does get to hang out on the weekends when were in the yard or on the porch relaxing.

Tonen about that watering. You may want to look into an Automatic Dog Waterer. Like THIS

It is expensive but it will last a lifetime. The hardest thing to do in Louisiana is provide cool water for your dog to drink using stand alone buckets etc. Plus the buckets turn green like every 3-4 days or so.

Last edited:

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    Another thumbs up to keeping the dog busy...

I've never had a "hunting" lab, but I have had many pets/companions. When they were small, like under 16/18 months, we walked the soles off many a pair of shoes together. Dog parks, swimming, long long walks. Throwing balls and frisbees for catch until I thought I couldn't lift my arm again but the dogs were still happy to run.

Other training helps too, it keeps their mind busy. Dog puzzle toys (tiny treat hidden in a toy that challenges them), prolonged mental exercise of learning to stay or tricks.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    WOW Thanks for sharing I know he's a great friend and companion:}

I can remember when you posted the first pics of him.

I love my lab...

Ole Daisy Mae and I were playing in the pond earlier this evening:}

Here she is before she got in lol

photo_1.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

photo_2.jpg
    [/url][/IMG]

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    He's turned out to be a good lookin' dog.

My chocolate is wearing the cone of shame right now. :( She had a mast cell tumor removed last week.

Top Bottom