You don’t lose gun rights in traffic stop

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pops

Old but not dead .
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    EBR Parish
    OK , the officer has already disarmed you , which he is legally able to do .
    So far , everybody wants to negotiate and holler about " their rights " .
    What happened to all of the " from my cold dead hands " crowd ? :confused:
    I keep asking the question from the standpoint of " words have failed " and still all I get is " I'll tell him this , or I'll ask about that " . I give up . I have my proof of ownership and I shouldn't find myself in that situation anyway .

I hope I haven't pissed anybody off . I just wanted to make people think about what they would do if faced with a couple of Barney Fife's with a gun , a badge , and an attitude .

Slow

I Support Human Culling
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    ... The police officer that told me this is known and respected by at least one member of this board . I think he was actually doing us a favor by giving us that info . He said to carry proof of ownership so as not to put yourself in a bad spot if the LEO decided to be a dick . At least that's my take on it . I thought it was good advice...

so what you are trying to say is, you should carry proof of ownership in case a cop decides to be a dick WRONG?

i dont understand why a fellow LEO would tell you to do something you dont have to do to protect yourself from some jack booted thug, it just doesnt make since. its like saying you need to carry around a tooth brush and mouth wash to get the taste of shoe polish out of your mouth after you get done licking their boots. its just blatant ignorance on the LEO's part not to be familar with the laws of such a big issue. i GUARANTEE they can come up with a thousand reasons to pull you over though. its like they only care about the laws they want to care about.

as far as how far am i willing to go to protect what little rights i have left against said "dick" cop, its hard to say... i would probably stand on the side of the road for a long ass time though, i would probably even spend the night in jail for it.... jail isnt that bad, especially if it is a week day

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Pick your battles . Spending the night in jail and having to post bond to get out , losing a day of work , etc . doesn't help you in any way .

IF all attempts at arguing , reasoning and just plain logic have failed , ask officer dumbass for his name and I.D. number . ( not all departments use badge numbers for identification ) . Ask him for the file number of the incident report that he is damn well going to write . Go home and find the original copy of your paperwork , and be waiting at the door to the chief's office when he get's there the next morning . After you retrieve your weapon , file a complaint with Internal Affairs . Call your councilman , and every TV station in the area . Tell anybody that will listen how your rights were trampled .

I also carry proof of ownership in my wallet . I took your advice . :D

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    so what you are trying to say is, you should carry proof of ownership in case a cop decides to be a dick WRONG?

i dont understand why a fellow LEO would tell you to do something you dont have to do to protect yourself from some jack booted thug, it just doesnt make since. its like saying you need to carry around a tooth brush and mouth wash to get the taste of shoe polish out of your mouth after you get done licking their boots. its just blatant ignorance on the LEO's part not to be familar with the laws of such a big issue. i GUARANTEE they can come up with a thousand reasons to pull you over though. its like they only care about the laws they want to care about.

as far as how far am i willing to go to protect what little rights i have left against said "dick" cop, its hard to say... i would probably stand on the side of the road for a long ass time though, i would probably even spend the night in jail for it.... jail isnt that bad, especially if it is a week day

i would probably even spend the night in jail for it.... jail isnt that bad, especially if it is a week day[/QUOTE]

Ever been to Galena Park Tx ??? LOL....whew... I dunno bout not too bad there
    Lot of vatos with attitude

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    If a cop decides to break the law, then your having "proof of ownership" isn't going to help you. He has decided to break the law, and destroying your proof of ownership is no more repugnant than breaking the law in the first place. I don't get it.

Frankly, when I was young I would have worried about this. I am in my 40's now. Most cops I meet are respectful and professional, and I treat them (all) the same way. My experiences with them have (for the past 20 years) been universally good.

Top Bottom