Smallest/Reliable Pocket Gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Im in the market for a pocket gun when the need arises. There are times when a Glock Sub is even too big to carry in certain circumstances. I have been kicking around the idea and wanted to open it up to ya'll. Reliability, concealability and caliber are all factors. These are the candidates:

1. Ruger LCP
    2. Keltec
    3. NAA .22 Long
    4. Beretta Bobcat
    5. Seecamp

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I personally wouldn't carry anything smaller than .380ACP. Even .380 is weak in my book, but is the best option for when you absolutely can't carry anything bigger.

Either the Keltec P3AT or Ruger LCP would serve you well.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Since you didn't really specify a caliber other than the fact that certain models listed only come in one caliber, I highly recommend you look at the KelTec PF9. It's not much bigger than the Ruger LCP or KelTec's P3AT and the 9mm +P rounds have about <150% the energy of most 380's.

SOLAteeda

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Covington
    DSC07410.JPG

http://www.bondarms.com/ifirearms.php

Maybe that would suit your needs? Not many shots but it should do the job up close.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    PF9 is significantly larger than a P3AT

top1.jpg

From left to right: P3AT, PF-9,P11,Para Warthog, Para P12, EA380, S&W P99C, M&P compact, XDSC.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    PF9 is significantly larger than a P3AT

Agreed that it's a little larger, however, I feel the trade-off in the advantage of having the 9mm over the 380 is worth what *I* feel is only a slightly larger pistol.

Hey local2fed, find someone who's got them both and try 'em both. Obviously we all have different opinions so you really need to put *your* hands on them.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    +1, all the power in a compact package. Hamerless models work great for pocket carry without snagging

I've got one with a bobbed hammer and one with a regular hammer just because those were the deals I ran into at the time. With a pocket holster, I never seem to snag the non-bobbed one while drawing.

Edit: This is no longer true for me. I do have some pants that snag and some that don't. This is remidied in the way the gun is drawn, but hammerless is going to be more reliable.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    A .25 auto, for size, is easy to carry and up close it's not bad. It's a whole lot better than nothing. It is the smallest of the multiple round handguns. You ought to look at one and handle it before you buy any gun. The .32 can be had in a reasonably small size also.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    A .25 auto, for size, is easy to carry and up close it's not bad. It's a whole lot better than nothing. It is the smallest of the multiple round handguns. You ought to look at one and handle it before you buy any gun. The .32 can be had in a reasonably small size also.

.25 auto is a joke. I think I'd rather have a knife to defend myself with.

"Just remember that if you use the .25 to shoot someone,
    shoot them in the face. Makes them easier to identify in the
    lineup." - Skeeter Skelton

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm happy w/ my keltec p3at but I tried someone's Kahr 9mm at the BZ once. I have to say if I were starting over I'd have to rethink my choices... but I still want a P7M8 and screw the weight!

Top Bottom