Smallest/Reliable Pocket Gun?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Although I have several .380's, incl KelTecs & Walthers, I must agree with Spanky.
    You just can't beat a Scandium J-frame in .38spl +P.
    It will fit in a T-SHIRT pocket, weighs about the same as those listed, loaded, and is much, much more reliable.
    leVieux

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    11.25 ounces for Aluminum versus 10.4 ounces for scandium.
    $1,153 MSRP for weight difference.
    0.85 ounces less.
    Does this make economic sense to anyone or is it just a marketing ploy to sell unique handguns in a market filled with high quality used aluminum J-frame revolvers?

Dave

southernk9cop

Resident Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 3, 2007
    Houma
    I have both a .32 Tomcat and the LCP. I carry the LCP as my off duty backup if I can't carry anything larger. I also have a S&W .38 airweight and a Colt Agent in .38 that I carry in an ankle holster if I am wearing jeans or something where I can conceal the larger weapons.

That said, I do like carrying the LCP in my front right pocket in a concealment holster. I don't recall the manufacturer at this time, but its neoprene based and had a "grippy strip" around it that causes it to snag on your pocket and remain in place when you draw from the pocket. You can easily get a grip on the weapon with your hand in your pocket without anyone knowing you are prepping to draw and if necessary you can shoot from the hip as you clear the pocket and are coming up to a natural point shooting position. Of course, that's something you need to practice with. Luckily, I can get private range time to do it.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And I give the LCP another vote. I've carried one since they came out. Although I'm still not sure what the best 380 ammo is for them. I've been carrying the magtech 77grain all copper hollow points for awhile just because they are the only thing I could get my hands on. I also carry it with a second mag in my pocket.

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    Hammerless Revolver

on a side note, about ten years ago I saw a crack barrel derringer come thru the store and I want to say it used shotgun shells. (not sure of gage) looked like a mini cannon.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    LCP - I can carry it in the back pocket like a wallet. I wouldn't know it was there except for the fact that I'm not used to carrying my actual wallet in my left pocket. :D

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What market are you shopping at? Used J-frames, of ANY pedigree, are few and far between.

The Scandium is a special alloy that is VERY expensive to produce; it has the light weight of aluminum/titanium and the strength of chrome molybdenum steel.

Also, the tianium is a bitch to machine, and must be finished with a special clear coat to prevent flame cutting.

IOW, while the added expense may- or may not- be "worth it" to you, you're not getting ripped off on the Ti-Scan guns.

I just did a search on gunbroker and found tons of used airweight j frames used for around $450. I could find one in BR today if I went looking. Enjoy your scandium flavored kool-aid.

:)

Dave

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I had the chance to shoot my friend's new Ruger LCP and I have to say it's one sweet little pistol. I've always loved Rugers, but have never been fond of any .380 pistol... until now. That said, I won't be buying one - only because I like to keep all of my pistols in the same caliber, except for the .22s of course.

FYI - Jim's firearms in BR will be having a "Ruger Super Sale" on April 15-17 only, and they will have the Ruger LCP and P95 for $299.99. They will also have the SR9 and SR9Compact for $399.99. The SR9Compact comes with both a 10rd mag and a 17rd extended mag - not a bad deal for a good compact 9mm.

All nice pistols, but which one should I buy??? I think I'm going with the P95, as it takes the same mags as my P89. :cool:

Last edited:

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The scandium is reaching a point of diminishing return. Per S&W's website it's a .85 ounce different between scandium and aluminum. You pay a whole lot more for relatively little gain. Maybe you can carry it a lot lighter since your pocket book weighs less too. If that little bit of weight bothers you that much carry lighter bullets. You'll probably feel the difference there too.

And as far as why do I care? I don't really. I'm not emotionally engaged in this argument. It's more intellectual for me at this point. It just seems like S&W is trying to fill a gap that doesn't need filled or create artificial demand. Like the 5.7 FN or the 357 sig or the 327 magnum they don't fill a real need that hasn't already been covered adequately. But the gun press will force the idea down our throats.

I also carry a J Frame S&W Model 60. But it's usually a belt carry too.

Dave

Last edited:

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    The scandium is reaching a point of diminishing return. Per S&W's website it's a .85 ounce different between scandium and aluminum. You pay a whole lot more for relatively little gain. Maybe you can carry it a lot lighter since your pocket book weighs less too. If that little bit of weight bothers you that much carry lighter bullets. You'll probably feel the difference there too.

One difference that the weight comparison doesn't take into account is durability. Steel j-frames are meant to be carried a lot and shot a lot, but are a little on the heavy side for pocket carry. Aluminum j-frames are meant to be carried a lot and shot a little, but are noticeably lighter. Scandium/titanium guns are meant to be carried a lot and shot a lot and are even lighter than the aluminum guns.

At least that is my understanding of the situation. I'm not much of a revolver guy. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    LSP said:
    three ounces less that a Ti-Scan J frame weighs than a regular aluminum version is quite noticeable when pocket carried
    Roger that. The Airweight really begins to pull on you after a couple of hours. Not so much the Airlite scandiums.

To address Ben Segrest, I submit the Airlites are meant to be carried all the time and rarely fired, as they are quite a handful. Their recoil has been likened to 125 grain 357 MAGS in handugns weighing almost three times as much. And I assure you, that is not far from the truth.

drw461wrote:
    Like the 5.7 FN or the 357 sig or the 327 magnum they don't fill a real need that hasn't already been covered adequately.
    Don't know much about the 5.7 FN except that a .22 caliber bullet at 2000 fps will put 'em on and in the ground.

However, the 357 SIG was developed with a specific law enforcement purpose in mind, penetrating the steeply sloped front windshields on today's automobiles while retaining enough kinetic energy to subsequently incapacitate drivers. Anybody ever tries to run you down in a vehicle while you're on foot, you'll quickly see the logic in that. Apparently the Texas DPS has been satisfied with their new 357 SIGS in this respect, as well as the overall stopping power on human. Not quite as good as the old standby 357 MAG perhaps, but a close second.

The 327 MAG, while not supported in the two inch barrel category, appears to be a premium self defense round exceeding 38 Special ballistics. The Smith J frame and Ruger SP101 in 327 chamber six instead of five rounds, a significant increase in firepower if one does not carry a semi auto. The 115 grain Speer bullet moving at 1300 fps duplicated the infamous 9mm "Illinois State Police load" This caliber is ideal for personal carry if you can accommodate the three inch barrel on the guns chambered for it. For one concerned about windshield penetration with a compact revolver as I am, the caliber has much merit.

I will venture this: Equipped with a twenty round 5.7 FN semi automatic pistol, extra mag and a 327 MAG revolver back up gun, you might be outgunned coming out of an incident, but you will not be undergunned going in.

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    You are absolutely correct.

Dave, the Ti-Scan (titanium cylinder, scandium frame) J frames weigh a full three ounces LESS than the aluminum frame/chrome moly cylinder airweights.

You're confusing the new crop of scandium frame/chrome moly or stainless cylinder revolvers with the originals.

Stick to your Colts; they're less complicated.;)

He is right. When you are holding both in your hands there is a noticeable difference. I dont think it would be much fun to shoot but for a pocket to gut gun, that would be my choice.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    To address Ben Segrest, I submit the Airlites are meant to be carried all the time and rarely fired, as they are quite a handful. Their recoil has been likened to 125 grain 357 MAGS in handugns weighing almost three times as much. And I assure you, that is not far from the truth.

Oh, I know what it's like to fire one, I have a 360pd. It's the only J-frame I have experience with, though, and one of only a few revolvers I own. I have put about 80 rounds of mixed .38 and .357 through it in one sitting. That experience wasn't bad, but I had a larger than factory pachmayr grip on it at the time. On the flip side, I have shot it with a set of OEM sized wooden stocks on it, and that was in no way an enjoyable experience.

Top Bottom