.454 Casull Loads: Which would be more pleasant?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southern Shooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Pineville, Louisiana
    I am looking at two loads in the Ruger Alasakan, 2 1/2" barrel, .454 Casull:

1) 270 grain bullet, 10 grains of Trail Boss, at roughly 1,000 fps.

2) 360 grain bullet, 21 grains of Lil' Gun, at roughly 1,050 fps.

Which would be less abusive? The faster burning Trail Boss with a lighter bullet? Or, the slower Lil' Gun with a heavier bullet?

Thanks

Last edited:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I would agree with the above. I don't know how/if the powder burn rate would make one more pleasant than the other, but physics would tell me that a projectile that is 25% heavier, going a tad faster would have more recoil.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Do not load your revolver with Lil Gun. The powder has a high nitro content and burns extremely hot. It will erode your forcing cone in short order.

Southern Shooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Lil' Gun to high in nitro?

dzelenka,

I had not heard that about Lil' Gun. I don't want to damage my gun. What would be another choice that would not give up much velocity? H-110? Something else?

Thanks

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    dzelenka,

I had not heard that about Lil' Gun. I don't want to damage my gun. What would be another choice that would not give up much velocity? H-110? Something else?

Thanks

H110, Accurate No.9, N110 will all work.

I spoke to Bob Baker who is the president of Freedom Arms. He is an old friend and we shot the breeze about some seriously heavy .357 Mag. rounds for a FA Mod. 353. During that conversation, he told me not to use Lil Gun. He said that when the powder came out they saw a significant increase in forcing cone erosion and the common denominator was the powder. It did not take many rounds either. The problem was that it generated an extreme amount of heat. You could actually shoot the revolver to the point that it was too hot to hold in short order. Discussions with the powder manufacturer indicated that it has a very high nitroglycerin content. I will take his word for it.

Southern Shooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Compromise? 325-340 gr PB Bullets 1,000 fps or Less??

I have thought about this, today. I have .38 Specials and .357 Magnums that I can shoot easy loads out of.

I bought this Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull to fill the nitch of a quick-draw "Thor's Hammer" when I am fishing or hiking in northern Montana or Idaho. I want to practice and use on a regular basis something in the ballpark of what I would use in those situations...even if it rattles my brain a bit.

What about a bullet in the range of 325-340 grain, plain base, at 1,000 or less fps? Check out the bullets below.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-325V-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-340B-D.png

What would be a good load for these bullets?

Thanks

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If you shoot a 300+ grain bullet at 1k+ fps on a "regular basis", you will be my new hero.

I know as much about reloading as I do about brain surgery. But the physics is the same, and no matter how heavy your pistol, that's a lot of recoil to absorb. While it might not be painful, your body is going to react-- and that could easily mean flinch.

I would recommend keeping your round count low, and simply hitting the range more often. I noticed long ago that even shooting 9mm, 200 rounds is pretty much the point of diminishing returns for me. I get tired, I lose focus-- I've even started jerking the trigger or anticipating the shots, which are bad habits that you don't need to form. YMMV in terms of the quantity and potency of the rounds you shoot, but no one can completely avoid shooting fatigue-- and continuing after it has set it can totally negate your good practice.

Southern Shooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Shooting Fatigue

Yes, I agree on the shooting fatigue issue. Especially, related to heavy recoiling rounds. I know that just recently, while I was practicing shooting my .357 Magnums with average loads, that I begain to tire. With time, it was noticeable that I was anticipating the shot...pressing down just slightly at the drop of the hammer.

So, yes. If I go the heavy load route I will choose to limit the range time to a low number count. And, I may drop the velocity to the 850-900 fps to make the shooting sessions last longer.

Thanks

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'd be interested to know what load you end up using, and how many you can put downrange before feeling the effects. Could be some interesting stuff there.

I know that I can shoot 4x as many full house .44 Mag loads through a big steel hog leg than I can shoot .38 range loads through a lightweight snubby. Still, I feel like .454 (regardless of data) is where that line ends. :eek3:

You're still going to be my hero!

Top Bottom