5.2.09 - City Park Lake

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    There is a do not eat advisory for Capitol Lake.
    I think the consensus for University/City Park Lake is you can eat but don't eat too much. So, if it was the only fishing for 1000 miles, maybe. But, since there are much better waters less than an hour away, I'll pass on the questionable nutritional value of the fish from there.

Any suggestions to fish from shore/pier near baton rouge?

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Any suggestions to fish from shore/pier near baton rouge?

If it's a public pond then it's fished almost out. If you can get out to a fishing spot before sun up and before anyone else gets out there you may be more successful. University Lakes (not Capitol City) and the Burbank Soccer Complex Pond.

Pick a spot somewhere along the levee of the Mississippi that you can get to and just fish off the bottom for catfish.

I've just come to accept you can't catch any decent fish w/o a boat and at the very least a kayak/canoe/pirogue just so you can get away from the busy banks and fish in the middle.

Last edited:

bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    When I was at LSU many many years ago I use to fish at a small pond that ran along a road that intersected with Airline highway. The pond was just off Airline and was on property owned by the Knights Of Columbus. Somebody told me about the pond and I would slip by and fish it instead of studying.

Last time I went down Airline Highway I looked for the pond but couldn't find it.

Does anybody know where I'm talking about?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I think I know what pond you are talking about off airline. I think its by that glass building with the cut off corner on airline.

I see people fishing in the pond behind the Bluecross complex of buildings in the back.
    There are several ponds across the city that are located in apartment complexes. There is one in the apartment complex down Mead Rd. that is right before Calloway Inn. There is a pond in Mall of LA that is back down a trail off to the right of where Linens and Things was. Park to the right side of the building and look for a trail to the right. I also heard there is a big alligator in there and my brother's friend has pictures of it.
    There are the Waldhill ponds off Flannery road to fish in the Wildlife and Fisheries complex back there.
    That big bass was caught in the small pond to the right of Darymaple drive as your driving in to LSU from off the interstate. That is the original pond/lake in that area with the others being manmade. That small pond is 30 foot deep in places. I've caught many bream and catfish out of there and some bass. One day I was driving down the back side of that pond and they were pulling cars out of the back corner. They had 4 out of there that day with the coroner's car on standby in case they found bodies in them. I guess they got stacked up too high in there and someone spotted the tail lights on the last one rolled in.
    The dog in the bag reminded me of when someone spotted some blue denim floating around one of the LSU lakes and it was subsequently found to be still worn by a body floating in there.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Dude

Next time consider fishing in Big alabama in Sherburne. I used to chunk a 12 foot bateau in at the launch right north of happytown road. Have caught some nice bass(14" minimum limit) there. Its very scenic and away from civilization somewhat and at the same time not too far of a drive. Have your license and stay legal, you will be checked driving out most probably.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Next time consider fishing in Big alabama in Sherburne. I used to chunk a 12 foot bateau in at the launch right north of happytown road. Have caught some nice bass(14" minimum limit) there. Its very scenic and away from civilization somewhat and at the same time not too far of a drive. Have your license and stay legal, you will be checked driving out most probably.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have some people tell me the same thing between Big and Little Alabama. Is there much motor boat traffic on either of them that you know of? If there is and a careless boater doesn't see me his wake will throw me overboard in my pirogue.

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    St james boat club is not that far, and you can paddle fish the airline canal and be very suprised with the quality of you catch. I would avoid weekends though, to much beer and horsepower and no sense.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I am planning to take my son shooting at Sherburne this weekend and was thinking of trying alittle fishing off of the new dock by the boat launch and see what we can catch.

Last edited:

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Might not catch much off the dock flamatrix, you pretty much need a boat there. But once you get in one, the fishing is fantastic. I've always had good luck at Little and Big Alabama.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    LOL I missed this the first time around. Why?? In City Park Lake if you fall in all you have to do is stand up... :rofl:

:rofl: Seriously? I wasn't aware it was that shallow. I would be more afraid of melting if I touched that water rather than drowning. :cool:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I know when you turn of Dalrymple onto May street headed toward Hyacinth, if you look to the left where the water comes right up to the street it's usually about 4"-6" deep. Of course there may be 3' of mud, I never tested it :p

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I know when you turn of Dalrymple onto May street headed toward Hyacinth, if you look to the left where the water comes right up to the street it's usually about 4"-6" deep. Of course there may be 3' of mud, I never tested it :p

I was out on the City Park lake this weekend an you were 100% accurate. Out in the middle I stuck my paddle down and there was only 3 feet of water. Maybe 4 feet but probably 1 ft worth of soot/mud. I felt stupid wearing my life vest at that point.

And no fish, even around the cypress trees. Very disappointing. Just too hot and if the water was that shallow all the way around then those fish were not going to move unless they had to.

Last edited:

kdick3

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know a few years ago a drain pipe under city park lake ruptured and released a lot of LSU's septic waste. I know water purifies itself but I wouldn't be caught dead going out there and fishing for keepers. I have fished there before, not in a boat though. Caught a few cats sitting off the shore line near the train overpass on Dalrymple. But we caught and released. That water is NASTY.

Also +1 at Sherburne. What bait do you use when you fish there? We were using shiners and crickets the last time I was there and had absolutely no luck. Caught a few gaspergoo, none big enough to keep, and we were out there for a good few hours. My buddy has a camp on Big Alabama with a 14' skiff and a pretty good size go devil... We were getting to what looked like nice spots but couldn't catch much.

Top Bottom