A .380 For The Wife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Honestly, i wouldnt get her a .380 unless she was comfortable with one.
    The snappy recoil in a light package can make it difficult to shoot well.
    How would you like to be the "hostage" and your wife has to make the 10 yard shot with the kel tec/ruger lcp. :/
    Take her to precision and let her shoot everything until she finds one she can shoot well.

But if all the above steps are done already. Then i would get her the heaviest one, or simply add in a heavier recoil spring.

Thats just my opinion ;)

scottjajr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Oakdale
    if she is like my wife and going to carry it in her purse a small .380 wasnt good for her because she couldnt find it with all the other junk in there ended up with a .38 taurus with a 4 inch in stainless wich was easier for her to find in her purse

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    What is her shooting ability? Little .380s (LCP, P3AT, etc) are a pain to shoot and difficult to shoot well, they take much more practice.

I'd recommend a .38 revolver or a Kahr PM9.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I have a Walther PPK in .380 and it is one of my least favorite guns to shoot. That said, in the summer, I will likely have it if I cannot dress casually enough to carry my G 19.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Bersa Thunder .380. Good reliable and affordable gun. Saw one at Acadamy this week for under $300. My Bersa has been my regular open carry peice for a while now.

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    I have a Walther PPK in .380 and it is one of my least favorite guns to shoot. That said, in the summer, I will likely have it if I cannot dress casually enough to carry my G 19.

Get a new spring for it. And make sure it isnt on backwards, my dad's sig p230 had the spring on backwards from when he cleaned it so it hurt like hell shooting.

My mak has an extra power spring and cocking it is hard, but shooting it is super easy.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    If she has to have a .380,get her a Bersa Thunder 380. Looks like a walther but more accurate and dependable. It has a 3.5"barrel so recoil is very manageable. Ask a few ccl instructors and they will recommend the Bersa,ie..Brian Dolly from 10-8 Tactical (504.731.3108). Bersa starts around $289.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If she has to have a .380,get her a Bersa Thunder 380. Looks like a walther but more accurate and dependable. It has a 3.5"barrel so recoil is very manageable. Ask a few ccl instructors and they will recommend the Bersa,ie..Brian Dolly from 10-8 Tactical (504.731.3108). Bersa starts around $289.

Completely an opinion,:rolleyes: Definitely more cost effective though ;)

but the Bersa is a solid choice anyway. The good thing about it, is like the Walther, it is a relatively large frame for a .380 which is rare by today's standards as everyone tries to make guns smaller and smaller. The size helps with recoil, but is still small and slim enough to make it easily and comfortably concealable. Due to it's safety features, it is a safer alternative for a purse gun than a Glock may be depending on carry method.

Update your profile with your location. Most ranges that rent guns have them. SHe should shoot it first. Or, buy it, and if she does not like it, sell it to me for a great price. ;)

If she wants her CHP, I have a bersa she can shoot in my class if she wants to try it out. I also have a G19 for that matter.

Last edited:

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    i recomend i .38 special for someone with no experience with firearms simply because of reliability. you don;t have to worry about jams of any kind. if a round fails to fire, just pull the trigger again.

scottjajr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Oakdale
    i recomend i .38 special for someone with no experience with firearms simply because of reliability. you don;t have to worry about jams of any kind. if a round fails to fire, just pull the trigger again.

I agree with you there one of my wifes biggest problems is she cant rack the slide on most auto's

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom