A patient of mine died from H1N1 this morning...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    I've had several really messed up teenagers/adolesence as patients over the years due to meningitis. They were damn lucky to survive. I haven't had any H1N1 patients though.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Vaccines based on chance still disturb me.

I know folks who have never got one, folks who refuse to allow their kids to get them and folks who line up at the door with their entire families.

I also heard a friend got H1N1 months AFTER getting the Vaccine. Same stories about people getting the Flu but have never missed a Flu Shot.

Our kids Dr says it’s like 50/50 at their Clinic.

confused.gif

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I'm very sorry to hear this I think it was on the local news tonight.
    I know you did all you could do for him.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Sorry to hear this kids death is affecting you, but you know these things happen.

I'm guessing you're either staff or a resident at LSU-S?

I know many in the medical field like me that would have gotten the seasonal flu vaccine IF it didn't have the H1N1 built into it. I'll just keep my mask on, even when not in the OR.

mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    Kid's deaths always seem so senseless.
    Especially from sickness - you can tell a kid to "be careful".
    How do you tell a kid to not "get sick"?

That has to be scary for his classmates as well.

i'm sorry you had to fight that, watch it develop, and lose.

It's got to be hard to balance between 'professional distance' and compassion.

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I know many in the medical field like me that would have gotten the seasonal flu vaccine IF it didn't have the H1N1 built into it. I'll just keep my mask on, even when not in the OR.

Can you please explain this? I know some people don't like vaccines, are worried about preservatives, etc., but why do you only fear this particular vaccine?

My understanding is that the standard flu shot is a "dead virus" vaccine, so there is no chance of getting that flu from the vaccine (although the protection may not be as quick or as effective as with an "attenuated virus" vaccine.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Can you please explain this? I know some people don't like vaccines, are worried about preservatives, etc., but why do you only fear this particular vaccine?

My understanding is that the standard flu shot is a "dead virus" vaccine, so there is no chance of getting that flu from the vaccine (although the protection may not be as quick or as effective as with an "attenuated virus" vaccine.

Also note that just b/c you received the Vaccine doesn't mean you're now immune to what you received the Vaccine for. You could still get it.

This is why I made my post above so maybe someone could shine some light on this mystery ;) or money making scheme as some call it.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Sorry to hear this kids death is affecting you, but you know these things happen.

I'm guessing you're either staff or a resident at LSU-S?

Of course he knows. Is he not allowed to vent? That's a bit callous and extremely jaded.

I had my doubts last year because it was a vaccine pushed through very very quickly under a crisis but this year's vaccine had no cause to be any more frightful than any other year.

Frankly I'm a bit more disturbed (a little) that senseiturtle used a strain clarifier in the topic. H1N1, A, B... They all kill. I hate the sudden alarm at H1N1 when "the flu" is just considered a weeklong inconvenience.

Saying that, many I know were vac'd and still contracted the flu this season. I came down with it twice. The kiids just last month and everybody was on tamiflu that time since we were all symptomatic. It was the first year we had the flu as a family, first time for the kids ever. I can't remember the last time I was so pathetically sick though before then. That first bout for me in early December really brought home the realization people die from it. Scary, scary. This last time I was very mildly ill, sore neck and swollen glands but still somewhat icky feeling.

I'm sorry you had to watch a patient pass away last night. It's always hard, some moreso than others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joquinn1234567
    Top Bottom