Actual non-trolling question about hurricane prep

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    Okay, why are tarps so handy during the storms? I feel Im missing something here, other than for your damaged roof?

Mostly from roof damage. But, I've used a stack of them inside of an apartment too for water that was running inside the ceiling space between floors. Again, it was roof damage, but not the typical tree falling on a house type of damage.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    A couple things not mentioned:

Powdered milk

Canned fruit

Solar LED garden lights work great to light the house at night. Safer than candles and can be recharged the next day.

Harbor Freight infrared driveway alert alarms offer night time security.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    http://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Emer...923641&sr=8-1&keywords=bath+tub+water+bladder

This bath tub water bladder is pretty sweet. Turns what would otherwise be utility or desperate measure drinking water into a potable water asset.

Please be familiar with the chainsaw prior to having to use it in a disaster event, so many people are hurt with these things and during a hurricane is not the time to cut your knee cap in half or half your foot off like some people I know.

I saw motor oil listed and I think that is a great suggestion, We keep a supply of gas but never any oil, I lucked out with the gas station down the street carrying what I needed (and still being open moments before the storm). Most modern car oils are WAY to thin for the gennys.

Another safety PSA, always operate your generator in a well ventilated area! Never in the house and if you have it under beam (a porch for instance) make sure it the exhaust end pokes out a little bit. Eventually the fumes make it back into the house via the attic if allowed to travel straight up.

We have precut boards stacked in the garage buried behind 3 metric tons of crap and we dig them out for the bad storms, the house has all double insulated windows and we believe a storm is what broke many of the windows seal.

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Another option I've heard of is to get a dryer cable and put the recepticle on it for the generator. You can back-feed your generator to your electrical system through the dryer outlet in your wash-room.

CAUTION: Just remember to ALWAYS throw (turn off) your main breaker from your breaker box. That will also eliminate your killing of an electical company worker when they are fixing lines that they believe to be discharged.

DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anyone who attempts this. I do no support it in any way!!

I have heard of some electrical utilities cutting your power lines to the house if wire in this way.

HiCapMag

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    Nice thread.....few more things

Wakawaka light.... Best thing since sliced bread.

Make sure your TV is set up for over the air reception as a backup and you have a generator that produces clean power to run it. The little Honda and Yamaha gennys are great, quiet and sip gas.

Pop tarts... I dunno why, we just get them for hurricanes :D

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    A few things that haven't been mentioned:

A mobile battery pack that can charge a cellphone or tablet.
    Extra batteries for your non iCrap phones are good to have around too
    Cards / poker chips / board games - no power for days will get boring towards the end.
    Lanterns / glow sticks / small LEDs to illuminate dark rooms at night while using minimal batteries.
    One or two badass "instant sun" flashlights - Not that you need an excuse, but being able to light up the other end of your neighborhood can have advantages...and can get attention if needed.
    BUG SPRAY
    MORE BUG SPRAY
    BUG REPELLENT CANDLES - you will likely end up being outside at some point. All the rain makes the vampire bugs happy and when they are happy they breed...and then feast.
    Stocked up paper towels - no means to wash stuff for awhile means cleaning up messes with disposable stuff that can just be tossed / burned.
    Rubber boots - walking around in slightly high water after a storm.

I'm sure I will think of more things later, but other than items, here are a few things to do before the storm:

Cut your grass. Clean up low hanging branches and anything that looks like it could damage your house under high winds. Move anything that could become flying debris (lawn equipment, patio furniture, et cetera). Clean your house really well on the inside. Having a clean house and no power is much greater than starting off with a dirty house and no means to vacuum. Wash all of your clothes, towels, and whatever. If you have indoor dogs - bathe them. No AC means you will smell them more so than before.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Last edited:

Geauxfish

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Baton Rouge
    If you have more than one vehicle, I would park one in a different driveway or along the street (or a parking garage if you have one). I had both my vehicles blocked in once when a tree fell across the driveway.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    This thing works. Just FYI. It's part of my "pack". - http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/the.../pid-1180235?N=401310245&Ntt=mosquitp&Ntk=All

Also, at Harbor Freight, has a small solar panel kit... it's $199.99 (but they always have 40% off coupons everywhere). It will at least provide you with sustainable lights or more. Three 15 watt panels, lights, and the regulator. All you need to do is add a 12v car battery (or a series of them) with an inverter (the larger the better). Excellent and portable (roof, window, car, etc.) solution.

http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-68751-8527.html

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If you have more than one vehicle, I would park one in a different driveway or along the street (or a parking garage if you have one). I had both my vehicles blocked in once when a tree fell across the driveway.

...and thus the need for the chansaw as mentioned in previous posts!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

If you have more then one vehicle;.........

and you stay: Put one on high ground or even better, in a second story (or higher) parking garage.

and you go: Take both or see point above.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If you have more then one vehicle;.........

and you stay: Put one on high ground or even better, in a second story (or higher) parking garage.

and you go: Take both or see point above.

You could always let the storm move it for you....

Gotham3AutoOnRoof.jpg

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Time we mention toilet paper? It's one thing to go two weeks without electricity another thing entirely to go two weeks without toilet paper

Sent from my Motorola death box.

Last edited:

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    Also, can we talk about the sleep you get after a storm? Don't have to go to work for a couple days, and the whole house is dark? I could sleep till noon!

Not so lucky. Night shift here and the job still wants you in. Somehow they think you should have no problem going home and sleeping with no power while it's 95 degrees and coming in ready to work. Not to mention leaving you family home in the dark! Personally, I burn up some sick time and take some occurrences when this happens.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    That pic looks very familiar. Chalmette post K?

I lived in Meraux most of my life, and after katrina, we found cars EVERYWHERE, Had a work van with trailer attached in mine and my neighbor's pool. Also had a Silverado sitting on top of a fence, just perfectly balanced. Also a WHOLE 2 store house, moved into the middle of the intersection. Made it look like a cul de sac.

Top Bottom