AMC Theaters / No weapons policy - response from corporate

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    To whom it may concern,

I frequent two AMC Palace theatres for evening and late night movies. As a law abiding citizen who has a concealed carry permit, I noticed there is a sign on the doors that prohibit firearms inside the building. I would hope the decision to disarm customers was a mistake done by a few theatre managers and not by AMC's corporate administration. I would like to remind you that criminals do not obey the law and by publicly showing signs of disarmament, AMC has chosen to take the responsibility of protecting it's customers. When a mugging or ,God forbid, a homicide is committed on the property, AMC is assuming responsibility for the loss. Any good attorney will use the "No Firearms" signs as leverage in a civil suit because customers have no way of protecting themselves. On weekends I have noticed local sheriff officers inside the building. The money it takes to pay the officers weekly, per theatre, adds up to a great expense when compared to an insurance policy created by biased anti-gun supporters. I am looking to protect myself and my friends/family. I don't claim to be a hero or someone important. It would be a great choice by AMC, to allow those like myself the option to exercise my second ammendment right. AMC doesn't have to publicly endorse firearms, but they can win over several thousand customers who enjoy the Constitution, freedom, and liberty by removing the signs.

Regards,

Matt

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    We don't even have an AMC here anymore. It was in Pierre Bossier mall, easy to find and convenient on shopping days (I grew up about an hour away). So basically, they can kiss my ass anyway.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Since everyone else is posting their emails, here goes...

"To Whom it May Concern,

I recently became aware of your corporate policy of not allowing firearms at your venues, and would like to inform you that I will not attend your theaters any longer, as I have also recently become a concealed weapon carrier. It is very disheartening to learn that a national company such as AMC Theatres does not allow its customers the basic human right of self protection, as well as the protection of his/her family, who may be attending with him/her. The problem is due to the fact that when a law abiding citizen sees a "No Firearms" sign, or some similar posting, on the door to a business, s/he will turn around, return to his/her vehicle, and do one of two things: drive away and find another place that offers the same services while allowing said person to protect him or herself, or s/he will reluctantly disarm and return to the original business in question, knowing that s/he has just put his/her life in the business owner's hands. When a criminal walks into your venue, s/he does not look for signs telling them that firearms are prohibited, and if they do, they do not care about the sign and will walk in carrying a firearm, anyway, as they are already criminals who break the law every day.

Essentially, by having a sign that tells patrons that firearms are not allowed on your premises, you are telling the criminals to "come on in and have a field day," on all the law abiding citizens who disarmed themselves before entering your place of business. As such, I will not allow myself, my wife, or my daughter to be a victim of a crime that may potentially be committed at your place of business due to following some "corporate policy" that violates the Constitutional rights of every man, woman, and child who is a legal occupant in this great nation in which we live.

In closing, if this policy is ever changed, I will be glad to begin attending your theaters again, but until that day, I will be taking my business to a "self-protection" friendly film viewing venue. Thank you, and have a pleasant day."

LouisianaGuy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Well all I can say is that's why we conceal carry lol.
    Cops are never anywhere but at the ticket window, and if you are anywhere but there your screwed....I have yet to obey, partially because by time I see the sign I'm not going back to my car to leave my 800-1000 dollar gun in ther and partially because I refuse to be at the mercy of some Jack ass when I have my family with me, which is always.
    Nuff said

Mwill75

Tinfoil Fitted
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    New Orleans Area
    ^What he said. I'm so used to carrying wherever I go. I almost never disarm unless I know I'm going into a legally prohibited area.

AMC's policy is of no concern to me, but I understand the principle and more power to ya'll

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    If they somehow manage to spot my CONCEALED handgun and ask me to leave, then I'll politely ask for my money back and leave. Until then, this isn't Texas, their signs mean nothing to me. Good for you guys on stepping up and addressing the issue though.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    The local ANC in Houma had their signs down for a while, but either a new manager came in and replaced them or a corporate visit made them do it. I've heard both, and also that the houma pd asked them to put them back up(but I don't reall give this much credence any more).

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well all I can say is that's why we conceal carry lol.
    Cops are never anywhere but at the ticket window, and if you are anywhere but there your screwed....I have yet to obey, partially because by time I see the sign I'm not going back to my car to leave my 800-1000 dollar gun in ther and partially because I refuse to be at the mercy of some Jack ass when I have my family with me, which is always.
    Nuff said

I was waiting on the "Concealed is concealed" guys. :mamoru:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Hey La Camper, the sign, it says "no weapons"? Is it one showing a handgun in a slash-circle? Or does it say "no guns"?
    Just wondering if they'd give me grief over my coldsteel katana...

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans
    Wow! You think something they felt so strongly about would merit a sign bigger than 4" x 4". The placement is what really ticked me off:

3dc1eada.jpg

I'm 6'-5" and it took me 20 seconds to find this sign while actually looking for it. Disgusting.

Tom Gresham

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    Covington
    A suggestion . . .

When you write AMC, start off by telling the story about how you and your family were excited to go to the movies, but you were turned away at the door. You had money in hand, but were told you could not enter the movie theater.

Then explain that you had to go to a different movie theater, etc.

And, then explain that you have had to tell all your friends and co-workers that the AMC theaters are dangerous places to be because they guarantee that criminals can carry guns there, but that the law-abiding can not.

Then (followup is necessary), each time you go to another theater, make a copy of the ticket stubs and email the images of those to AMC, explaining that you still would like to be a patron of their business, but you are forced to spend money with their competitors.

Blockbuster, Lowes, and others have reversed their "no guns" policies when faced with thousands of customers doing this.

Nothing is important to them besides revenue. Nothing. There is no second place. There is only revenue.

10,000, or 50,000 or 100,000 people saying that they are no longer spending money with AMC WILL have an impact.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    A suggestion . . .

When you write AMC, start off by telling the story about how you and your family were excited to go to the movies, but you were turned away at the door. You had money in hand, but were told you could not enter the movie theater.

Then explain that you had to go to a different movie theater, etc.

And, then explain that you have had to tell all your friends and co-workers that the AMC theaters are dangerous places to be because they guarantee that criminals can carry guns there, but that the law-abiding can not.

Then (followup is necessary), each time you go to another theater, make a copy of the ticket stubs and email the images of those to AMC, explaining that you still would like to be a patron of their business, but you are forced to spend money with their competitors.

Blockbuster, Lowes, and others have reversed their "no guns" policies when faced with thousands of customers doing this.

Nothing is important to them besides revenue. Nothing. There is no second place. There is only revenue.

10,000, or 50,000 or 100,000 people saying that they are no longer spending money with AMC WILL have an impact.

Great advice! I'm on a mission now!

Using my iPhone to photograph the sign and the receipt from their competitor then emailing them should make it easy and more effective.

Showing them the receipt vs telling them you spent money with their competitor = More Effective!

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    ^What he said. I'm so used to carrying wherever I go. I almost never disarm unless I know I'm going into a legally prohibited area.

AMC's policy is of no concern to me, but I understand the principle and more power to ya'll

Im confused.......... You never disarm, unless going into somewhere that legally prohibits carrying? But you choose to ignore the AMC policy and posted no carry sign? So technically, you are carrying where it is legally prohibited because that little sign makes the premises a no carry zone by law.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Im confused.......... You never disarm, unless going into somewhere that legally prohibits carrying? But you choose to ignore the AMC policy and posted no carry sign? So technically, you are carrying where it is legally prohibited because that little sign makes the premises a no carry zone by law.

I may be confused, and please correct me if I am, but I thought the only places in LA where carry is prohibited are those listed on the LSP website. I thought no firearm signs were placed there by company policy and held no type of legal bearing, unless asked to leave and you don't and then you get slapped with remaining after being forbidden and all that jazz. I know in Texas signs have to be specifically marked with RS 30.06 to prohibit carry in a location but I didn't think Louisiana had a law against carrying where a no firearms sign was posted.

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Here is straight from the LSP Site. Last paragraph covers Private Property.

N. No concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:
    (1) A law enforcement office, station, or building.
    (2) A detention facility, prison, or jail.
    (3) A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom.
    (4) A polling place.
    (5) A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision.
    (6) The state capitol building.
    (7) Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage.
    (8) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other similar place of worship.
    (9) A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity.
    (10) Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.
    (11) Any school "firearm-free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.
    O. The provisions of Subsection N of this Section shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

Top Bottom