And the results are in...[Pics included]

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Finally getting to post about the recent bowfishing trip. All in all it was good. We headed out to a place we'd heard about with intentions of launching the boat and heading out to the marsh, but unfortunately the only boat lauch available to the pubilc was shut down for repairs. Luckily we got there early enough to scope out some more places in the area. After dark, we ended up finding a weir where they were really rolling. We ended up with a total of 11 gar, all shot from the shore. If we would have been able to launch we would have had a boat load. 2 of the 11 were aligator gar, including the biggest, weighing just over 15lbs. Dustin left with four, as wellas Brett. I left with three, but I made up for it with the fifteen pounder. :D

The big guy
    l_b7ae206dc7934de18d49d1efcacdde23.jpg

Betcha didn't know I was a Cajuns fan.
    l_e0a80fb73435427d914c57525928e402.jpg

l_efb2f1be2ff949e5bfef14c40016c419.jpg

Would hate to get caught in there...
    l_06b20f6700d14d34b63710eaa0e04875.jpg

tb2

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    BR, LA
    Bow fishin, sounds like somethin id like to try.. Looks like a good catch too. So i take it you bow fish at night?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Gar Balls
    Description:
    Ingredients: Deboned gar meat free of gelatinous tissue.
    boiled potatoes. ( pound for pound of gar meat )
    green onion tops, finely chopped. 1/2 cup/
    1lb. corn flour, not corn meal or white flour
    Crawfish boil. Premixed type such as Zatarans.
    Add no other seasoning as the crawfish boil will supply the seasoning.
    Use the real spicy suggestions in the instructions.
    Directions: wrap gar meat in cheese cloth and boil exactly as you would crabs or crawfish. This renders the gar meat snow white and taste like lump white crab meat. Combine the gar meat,shallots, and potatoes. Mash this mixture until you are able to form patties. Dip firm patties in egg/milk mixture then dredge in corn flour. Deep fry at 350 for approx. 8-10 minutes. Serve with cold beer !

Here is one, not the one I was looking for as this one is called balls when in fact you are making patties

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Gar Balls
    Description:
    Ingredients: Deboned gar meat free of gelatinous tissue.
    boiled potatoes. ( pound for pound of gar meat )
    green onion tops, finely chopped. 1/2 cup/
    1lb. corn flour, not corn meal or white flour
    Crawfish boil. Premixed type such as Zatarans.
    Add no other seasoning as the crawfish boil will supply the seasoning.
    Use the real spicy suggestions in the instructions.
    Directions: wrap gar meat in cheese cloth and boil exactly as you would crabs or crawfish. This renders the gar meat snow white and taste like lump white crab meat. Combine the gar meat,shallots, and potatoes. Mash this mixture until you are able to form patties. Dip firm patties in egg/milk mixture then dredge in corn flour. Deep fry at 350 for approx. 8-10 minutes. Serve with cold beer !

Here is one, not the one I was looking for as this one is called balls when in fact you are making patties

Now this I could eat. :D

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    The fish are a lot more weary...and a lot less active. At night they run with the shad and baitfish...so they're a lot easier to find. Just throw the Q Beam across and find the jumping shad. I highly recommend the sport. It easily fills the gap for those guys that get antsy when hunting season ends. If you ever have any questions about anything just ask.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    The fish are a lot more weary...and a lot less active. At night they run with the shad and baitfish...so they're a lot easier to find. Just throw the Q Beam across and find the jumping shad. I highly recommend the sport. It easily fills the gap for those guys that get antsy when hunting season ends.

Makes sense. This was during the dead of the summer, midday, when I saw them last year. About every ten minutes one would creep by, heading toward Airline Hwy. Most were a bit smaller than yours, but I saw 2 or 3 that topped 3ft. long.
    If you ever have any questions about anything just ask.

Oh, you shouldn't have done that. :D

How can you tell it they are alligator gar or not?

What kind of rig can you use. I'm guessing it doesn't have to be a dear slaying monster.

What's the limit? Couldn't find anything on the Wildlife and Fisheries site.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom