And the results are in...[Pics included]

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    No, I'll gladly answer any and all questions I can.

1. The easiest was to tell an aligator gar apart from the other is it's nose. It is a lot wider than most. Look in the third picture I posted and compare the noses.

2. As far a bows go, anything with a draw weight of 30-65 pounds is plenty. Though the farther end being a little overkill. I personally use a compund bow with an adjustable draw weight from 50-65 pounds. This gives me the assurance that my barb is going completely through the fish every shot. The bow definitely doesn't have to be anything fancy, as long as it's functional. Recurves are where it's at in the bowfishing world. This is because they have almost none, if any, let off whatsoever. So those quick shots can be easily made. When you go with a compound you want something with a shorter draw length, once again so quick shots can be easily made. The lighter the bow, the better. This is because you have to hold it at the ready 99% of the time you're on the water. As far as reels are concerned, in my opinion, there is only one option. It's the AMS Retriever reels. "The design of the AMS Retriever allows for zero-drag. The line is stacked in a bottle rather than wound on a drum or spool. This allows the line to flow freely from the bottle with virtually no drag. Arrows fly further and deeper!" I also stand by the AMS wave rest. It has been the best rest I've used. Arrows are pretty standard unless you start getting into all the carbon spined stuff, I just keep it simple. When it comes to tips I use Muzzy Quick Release points with gar tips.

3. Limit is the same as it is for regular fishing, depending on the species. You're allowed to shoot any fish that is not defined as a popular game species by the Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries. So freshwater would be gar, carp, catfish, etc. Saltwater has an exception to that rule. You're allowed to shoot red drum. Along with the gar, flounder, etc.

Any other questions, throw them my way. I'll do my best to answer them.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Anytime...and if maybe one day you want to give it a try we could meet in between where I am and you are we could do some bank fishing and I could let you try out my bow.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    That's a great offer I might not be able to pass up. One more favor: could you post etailer link to an example bow you think would be good for a beginner.

Thanks.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    No, I'll gladly answer any and all questions I can.

1. The easiest was to tell an aligator gar apart from the other is it's nose. It is a lot wider than most. Look in the third picture I posted and compare the noses.

i guess the top and 4th from left are alligator gar?

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Good find. Comes on again tonight at 12 too in case anyone misses it.

I saw some rolling in Barataria Bay years ago. If I would not have know better, I'd have sworn they were sea serpents. The damn things were HUGE. I was shocked, and I don't shock easily. Obviously, It was the first time I had seen one.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    That's a great offer I might not be able to pass up. One more favor: could you post etailer link to an example bow you think would be good for a beginner.

Thanks.

Depends on how much you're willing to spend. On a minimal budget I'd go for the PSE Kingfisher and put the AMS Retriever Reel and AMS Wave rest on it,http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=303, or something from your local pawn shop that fits you comfortably. If you're looking to spend a little more, you can't go wrong with this kit, http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=195

My invitation also extends out to anyone else that would like to try out bowfishing, or fishing in general. I'm very passionate about both sports and I'm always looking for new fishing buddies. Just let me know! Keep the questions coming guys. :D

ETA: Backwater Bowfishing is an excellent company to deal with. They have very good prices and excellent customer service. These are my go to guys for all my gear.

Last edited:

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    Depends on how much you're willing to spend. On a minimal budget I'd go for the PSE Kingfisher and put the AMS Retriever Reel and AMS Wave rest on it,http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=303, or something from your local pawn shop that fits you comfortably. If you're looking to spend a little more, you can't go wrong with this kit, http://www.backwaterbowfishing.com/onlinestore/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=195

My invitation also extends out to anyone else that would like to try out bowfishing, or fishing in general. I'm very passionate about both sports and I'm always looking for new fishing buddies. Just let me know! Keep the questions coming guys. :D

ETA: Backwater Bowfishing is an excellent company to deal with. They have very good prices and excellent customer service. These are my go to guys for all my gear.

Where do ya'll fish???

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Anywhere and everywhere there's water. Haha. You're not very far, CZ. We could easily put something together. We have a ton more options if someone has a boat we can use, but even if not we can still do some stalking from the shore or the shallows.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Y'all need to check out the bar pits along the levee south of Lake Fausse Pointe State Park. You don't need a boat and there's plenty of gar.
    I haven't been out there in a few years, but it should still be the same.
    Hell, you can even set up a tent and camp out next to the pits, at lease you use to be able to.

If you go let me know how y'all did

Art

Last edited:

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Hey, Bravo, I have some GPS numbers that you can scope out on Google Earth.
    The area around here is where I'm talking about.

29° 58'33.38" N
    91° 32'53.07" W

Anywhere around here should be pretty good.
    Like I say though, I haven't been out there in a few years.

Art

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    Y'all need to check out the bar pits along the levee south of Lake Fausse Pointe State Park. You don't need a boat and there's plenty of gar.
    I haven't been out there in a few years, but it should still be the same.
    Hell, you can even set up a tent and camp out next to the pits, at lease you use to be able to.

If you go let me know how y'all did

Art

+1. I live a minute away from the levee and mabe 15 minutes away from Lake Faussee Point. They bar pits are good places to fish.

Top Bottom