ar problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Tula has a reputation for short stroking. I had the same issue, called the gun manufacturer, and was instructed to use higher grade ammo.

I'd try that before I go pulling the gun apart and spending money on new parts that you may not need.

Edit to add:

Also, if the lower and/or other parts are brand new, it may require a break-in period of 500 rounds or so, and then possibly have fewer problems with the cheap stuff. Go ahead and lube the sh*t out of it too.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You need to have that FSB aligned and properly installed. In all my years on the interweb, I've never seen someone try to hold a FSB on with screws. :zombie:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Is the bolt carrier even moving when you fire it? Put one round in the mag, chamber it and fire it. Is the bolt carrier locking back? If it is, you have an extractor problem. I doubt its an extractor problem, since you say it will extract if you cycle it manually, but it could be jumping the case-rim when its trying to cycle at full speed. I would lean towards a gas port issue, looking at the way the FSB is attached to your barrel. Has the gun been used a lot with a .22lr conversion kit? Gas tube could just be plugged as well. another thing to possibly check is your gas rings on the bolt.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Tula has a reputation for short stroking. I had the same issue, called the gun manufacturer, and was instructed to use higher grade ammo.

I'd try that before I go pulling the gun apart and spending money on new parts that you may not need.

Edit to add:

Also, if the lower and/or other parts are brand new, it may require a break-in period of 500 rounds or so, and then possibly have fewer problems with the cheap stuff. Go ahead and lube the sh*t out of it too.

+1
    I would always use some quality brass cased ammo during break in, then try the steel stuff. I'm not a fan of steel cased ammo for anything but commie guns. Try some good stuff and see what happens and go from there.

Bam Bam

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I fired it while watching the bolt and it didn't seem to move but I may have blinked. It ejects strong when done manually. I don't know if it has been used with .22conversion. I got it used and the guy is not answering his phone at the moment.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Your front sight base being held on with screws tells me whomever assembled your gun had no idea what he was doing. I suspect everything that could be wrong with your gas system probably is. Take some pictures of the gas key on your bcg. Its not the ammo either.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    when a new FSB is installed on a new barrel, both of the holes for the taper pins are drilled/reamed at the same time, and then the pins inserted. Its a pretty precise fit, and if you try and mix/match a used FSB on a barrel that has already been drilled for pins, they usually don't line up. If thats why the screws have been used on yours, it is probably out of whack. If the FSB is secure/solid with the current screws, there is a couple things you can so, such as remove the FSB and flare the inlet which would allow for some deviation on the alignment.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Your front sight base being held on with screws tells me whomever assembled your gun had no idea what he was doing. I suspect everything that could be wrong with your gas system probably is. Take some pictures of the gas key on your bcg. Its not the ammo either.

Exactly.

I shot a case of Tula (plus other random under-powered steel ammo) through two ARs with zero issues. If Tula short strokes your rifle, it probably had a problem to begin with.

Again, take it to a smith and have them realign and pin the FSB.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge

This ^^^

That front sight should have been installed with pins. It looks like someone drilled and tapped the block. They would have also had to molest the barrel to make this design work. There's no way to tell how far off that thing is looking at pictures.

Nothing can be accomplished with that setup in the woods.

1. Take it home and take those screws out and remove the gas block.
    2. Remove the roll pin.
    3. Remove the gas tube.
    4. Check all the ports and make sure they are not clogged to hell.

Post pictures of the gas port AND the barrel opposite of the gas port and we'll tell you how bad the situation is.

Tula does suck BTW, but my Spikes has no issues cycling it.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    One different thought. Take a look at the brass from a fired round. Unlikely but it could be a rough chamber holding onto the brass.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    One different thought. Take a look at the brass from a fired round. Unlikely but it could be a rough chamber holding onto the brass.

He's shooting Tula, which is steel, so it will not expand to fill the chamber like brass and won't show any anomalies.

Usually the extractor will tear the rim due to the gas pressures on the bolt, but it doesn't seem like his bolt is moving at all when he shoots, which is 99.9 times out of 100 a gas issue.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    So I got home, hooked up the air compressor, sealed off the end of the barrel, plugged the chamber, and blew air down the barrel. I can feel air blowing through the gas tube. The fsb is secured with Allen screws, and the is threaded. I stopped short of completely disassembling the whole fsb because i remembered the air thing. Since I felt air that means its open right? What now?

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    You should feel strong air pressure. If your pumping in 100 psi you should have 100 coming out the gas tube.

And that has to be the most ghetto gas block install I have ever seen, just sayin.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I'm not pleased with it after I got enough knowledge to know the difference. I can't speak on psi in and psi out. The stream of air from the tube was weaker than the air from the nozzle but I can't guaranty a complete seal either. What would a gunsmith job cost to fix this run?

Top Bottom