ar problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Your front sight base being held on with screws tells me whomever assembled your gun had no idea what he was doing. I suspect everything that could be wrong with your gas system probably is. Take some pictures of the gas key on your bcg. Its not the ammo either.

+1. Taper pin(s) belong there. Not screws.

The S&W chamber could be a bit tight/out of spec, and the ammo isn't doing you any favors.
    Scrub the chamber good with a chamber brush. Wipe it dry afterward.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    He's shooting Tula, which is steel, so it will not expand to fill the chamber like brass and won't show any anomalies.

Usually the extractor will tear the rim due to the gas pressures on the bolt, but it doesn't seem like his bolt is moving at all when he shoots, which is 99.9 times out of 100 a gas issue.

Yep. I was checking for that other .1%. I had it happen to me. That brass looked like it had been sanded. I bet it would have left some scratches in the laquer though of the steel cases.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm certainly not going to doubt the opinions of the experts that I know are on this sight. That FSB job looks pretty raunchy and regardless of whether the gas system is actually "working" or not, it should definitely be repaired.

That said, my previous comments on the Tula short stroking issue are based on the instructions given directly to me by Daniel Defense's technical support division. I took the advice they gave, and the weapon runs fine now. Apparently, I'm not alone. A basic Google search of: Tula short stroke returns a laundry list of others who have had the same problem with that ammo during a break-in period.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'm certainly not going to doubt the opinions of the experts that I know are on this sight. That FSB job looks pretty raunchy and regardless of whether the gas system is actually "working" or not, it should definitely be repaired.

That said, my previous comments on the Tula short stroking issue are based on the instructions given directly to me by Daniel Defense's technical support division. I took the advice they gave, and the weapon runs fine now. Apparently, I'm not alone. A basic Google search of: Tula short stroke returns a laundry list of others who have had the same problem with that ammo during a break-in period.

Many guns that have gas-ports that are not oversized will short-stroke on steel-cased ammo if everything else is not PERFECT. That gas-block is far from perfect. Also, I did not read how or with what the weapon was lubed, and what weight buffer is being run in this frankengun. Throw an H2 buffer in the mix and lube it with rem-oil, and use the gas-block pictured, and it very well might short-stroke every time with the stuff.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Rock, thanks for the offer and I will keep you in mind. However, for now I think I'm going to try some different ammo and see what happens. I wanna see if I can shade tree mechanic this before I go shipping it off to Baton Rouge. I worry that what I'm tryping is coming across as douchey, but truthfully I'm totally thankful for your offer. I really appreciate it. The bcg is lubed with hoppes #9 lubricating oil. The lower is a complete Plum Crazy lower with 4 positional stock. I assume the buffer spring is the factory plum crazy spring. When the gun is disassembled and you compress the spring it is very stiff. Could I theoretically just change out the fsb for a standard, not screwed up one? Camper, I did inspect the cases originally but failed to get pics before I left, and I left the cases on the ground at the camp. From what I can remember, after drowning my sorrows in a few bottles of bud light, the cases did have markings on them but nothing that jumped out as out of the ordinary.

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    This may not amount to anything, but when I put on my single point sling adaptor I disassembled my stock from the rear so when I reassembled it for some reason I forgot to push down the buffer retainer. After firing the first round the retainer spring got caught up in the buffer spring and didn't allow it to compress like it's supposed to and I had problems with the ejection like you described. Kind of a long shot, but that s@#t happened to me. Hope you get it figured out. If your ever looking for a shooting buddy give me a shout. I'm right over in Haughton.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    This is exactly why peopleshouldnt buy Franken Guns or do "builds". Unless you like to tinker and would rather have something to plumb on instead of shoot. Your Gas System is a mess. You can lube with whatever you want, do whatever you want with the buffer, shoot the best ammo in the world, but, until you fix the gas it won't matter.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This is exactly why peopleshouldnt buy Franken Guns or do "builds". Unless you like to tinker and would rather have something to plumb on instead of shoot. Your Gas System is a mess. You can lube with whatever you want, do whatever you want with the buffer, shoot the best ammo in the world, but, until you fix the gas it won't matter.

Ding ding.

The correct fix is having the FSB properly drilled and pinned, something you can't do at home. If you want to toy with it, buy a clamp-on gas block and install it. Chances are you'll still have issues though. If the dude screwed up the gas system that badly chances are there may be other issues as well. Best bet is to have the whole upper gone through. You can't beat the offer rockmup gave, and you'd be a fool not to take him up on it.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Your not hurting my feelings.
    You do what you need to do. Your not going to learn otherwise. At a minimum you should know how to trouble shoot your own weapon.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge

This ^^^

Take rockmup up on his offer and you'll have a gun that's good to go.

Even if it cycles with hot 5.56 brass, I wouldn't trust it with a screwed (literally) up gas system.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I cant tell yall how much I appreciate the advice. I'm going to toy with it for a little while and see what I can do.

225Todd, can you explain your issue a little more?

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I've got a new rookie question. Actually two questions. First I've got the pins/screws out of the fsb. With the bolt closed should you be able to slide the gas tube back into the receiver? It slides back 1/4". Second question may be that my gun is ****ed. I cant get the sight base off. I've lubed it and pulled/tapped/slammed. Cant get it to budge.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    IMAG0379.jpg

It doesn't appear broken to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
    IMAG0377.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom