ar problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I punched the roll pin out. After removing the roll pin the gas tube would slide back into the receiver appx 1/4".

I got the front sight off with the help of some more lube and a small hammer. Here is what I found underneath it.
    IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

Here is the picture of the gas port
    IMAG0382.jpg

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    If I were in your shoes, I would buy a new gas block and gas tube. This way you start out fresh. Install both correctly and see were you stand. It looks like you may have "compromised" parts. Without actually seeing and manipulating the upper that's the best I cam do. It does sound like a gas issue.

You could always sell the parts later if that doesn't work.

mariner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Lafayette
    Join www.ar15.com, spend some time poking around there.

This thread may not directly address your concern, but it will give you some valuable background:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/22...__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.html

If you want to mess with your rifle without messing it up you'll need some equipment, especially the upper receiver block and armorer's wrench.

I've never met rockmup, but I can see he's well respected here. Pay him a visit and let him show you how to do this properly -- there's no substitute for learning from someone who knows his stuff.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    At this point Jason, I'm kicking myself in the ass for not waiting on that psa set up from you. On the flip side, I'm getting pretty good at taking this thing apart and putting it back together. Thanks for the links mariner.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Thanks man.

Well I reassembled the gun and made sure everything lined up. Now I'm waiting on a test fire. I cleaned the hell out of everything. We'll see I guess. I still want to reaplace the fsb, but looking at the barrel I'm worried if I do I'm gonna have to replace the barrel as well.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Whoever installed that FSB the way they did ruined it and your barrel.

This ^^^

It looks like they had a spare block and used it in place of the correct one and drilled it and the barrel in anticipation of dumping it.

Not the worst place to be in. At least you've learned a lesson. Buy a new barrel and gas block/tube and move on.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Here is another option: B.M.A.S. Folding Front Sight/Gas Block
    http://www.bushmaster.com/products.asp?cat=19
    It's about 1/3 the way down the page

There's another here
    http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=375

A few more here
    http://yhm.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6&zenid=aec9b38913e96e9bdabf9ff236959c70

The barrel probably isn't ruined unless you want to use the standard taper-pin FSB. The clamp on gas blocks work just fine. I've been using a YHM Spector for years with nary a problem.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    It's time to stop throwing good money after bad. You already have people in this thread willing to donate time and knowledge--don't waste it on junk parts, get yourself something that isn't messed up and have it put together properly :)

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    And I'm very thankful for all the advice I've been given in this thread JWG. I'm thinking about getting the clamp on fsb and seeing how that does for the time being. Ultimately I want to upgrade the system to a new barrel with a proper fsb. I just dont have the funds to do that at this time.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    As long as it is put on straight and screws Loc-Tited, there should be no issues. Have you had one fail?

The only AR failure I've ever had was a clamp-on gas block/flip up sight (YHM IIRC). Professionally installed, screws Loctite'd, lasted about 100rds before it worked loose and crapped out. Bolt action AR...not nearly as fun!

Gas blocks have come a long way since though, and there's a few on the market now that if properly installed should be rOck solid. Especially the ones that use a barrel dimple and set screw.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Is it the vertical clamping ones you have a problem or just clamp style fsb's in general?

Aluminum is the single worst issue, as it heats (and thereby expands/retracts) at a different rate than the barrel. Matching the steel of the block to the steel of the barrel is ideal, but "anywhere close" is gonna be good enough.

Here's a brief test run by MM several years ago. It's on just one type of clamp on, and a pretty solid one at that, but it gives you an idea of how the issue was overstated:

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.optics2.html

About 2/3 down the page begins the article-in-question.

The vertically clamped blocks are typically two piece in design, and subsequently leave more room for play. Talking with a few engineer-types the other day, we also decided that somewhere in the technical aspects, it made sense in terms of expansion under heat that the horizontally clamped units would work better. (The jargon was over my head, sorry!)

The only non-pinned block I ever saw have issues was actually a set screw type, which did take a shock and actually over-dimpled the barrel to the point where the screw was allowed to shift. Those are widely accepted as the more sturdy of the options, so... Take it all with a grain of salt. That's just one of the problems with anecdotal evidence on the subject-- no one really knows what to look out for! Even those that have seen clamp on blocks fail in person can't recall the make, material or model of the problematic gas block, so it just adds to the confusion.

ETA-- Fixed link.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Matthew Nodier
    Top Bottom