ar problems

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    As long as it is put on straight and screws Loc-Tited, there should be no issues. Have you had one fail?

The closest I've come to a failed clamp on was someone who had no reason to lie to me, who saw two of the same basic design fail-- both aluminum, both vertically clamped.

I've seen a set screw one fail, as per the last post. But there's no telling if the barrel was dimpled properly or not from the beginning-- we just saw the block canted, and got the word later from the owner as to what had happened.

I'd just assume avoid the things that logically could be a problem, though-- specifically, the aluminum block against a steel barrel, at the temperatures that we're discussing. Otherwise, I'm totally on your side-- you'll torque the barrel out of the receiver before you move a properly installed block.

ETA-- I seem to recall reading something on Sniper's Hide not terribly long ago about the set screw types altering the barrel's dimensions in one way, shape or form-- but along with a lot of my other handy AR links, it was lost to the great HD crash of 2011.

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Bo, didn't see the word "aluminum" in your earlier post (worked last night and no sleep today). Aluminum gas blocks or muzzle brakes have no place on an AR.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Bo, didn't see the word "aluminum" in your earlier post (worked last night and no sleep today). Aluminum gas blocks or muzzle brakes have no place on an AR.

:bigok:

That's the dual thumbs up on that one, Demon. But as with a lot of these things, a lot of it's in the install. Clean surfaces (completely degreased being especially key), proper alignment, appropriate torque and heat resistance Loctite are going to be the keys, for sure; staking the nuts is added protection, but I'd probably run the gun for a while with some witness marks to see if it was moving in that regard before I went too crazy, especially as these seems like a "temp" fix.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    And I'm very thankful for all the advice I've been given in this thread JWG. I'm thinking about getting the clamp on fsb and seeing how that does for the time being. Ultimately I want to upgrade the system to a new barrel with a proper fsb. I just dont have the funds to do that at this time.

How much funds do you have? I really think you will just be wasting money on useless parts when it's all said and done unless you fix it the way you want it/it should be fixed, in the end. Maybe worth saving a month or two for, rather than wasting?

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    My first plan of action is to try different ammo and lube the bolt up until its dripping. A couple boxes of ammo are cheaper than either of the other two options. Maybe it'll work, I doubt it but I'm hopeful. Secondly, I'd rather have a working gun than a non working gun, even if the fix is temporary. In the event that options 1 and 2 fail, I can get a new barrel with FSB already installed, sell the clamp fsb, and use the barrel as a T-ball bat for my 4yo.

slowhandlukem

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    lafayette to Houston

Neither do plastic POS lowers.But apparently,that is the big craze lol..
    They just have to hope no one accidentally shoots their lower with any
    kind of real bullet:(...

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    It's cool, I've been on enough forums long enough to understand that some people are just negative in their posting style. I've been on tigerdroppings since 2007 and if you cant look past the negativity you'll kill yourself over there.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Resurecting this thread: took the ar to the camp this weekend after cleaning and lubing it up real well. The first two rounds shot and ejected fine. After that it was ejecting the rounds but not picking up a new one. I shot it sideways while looking at the bolt, it does appear to be short stroking on the tula ammo. I'm going to pick up some higher quality stuff this week and see how it does. Though the barrel and fsb seem to be mared beyond repair they are lined up right. Maybe new ammo will fix my issue.

Captain_Morgan

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Good luck. Look at it this way, at least you're learning the ins and outs of the platform. :D

Have you heard back from the seller at all? I'm curious what he has to say about all this.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I havent tried to reach out to him since the initial failure. I did remember he's the member nineteenhundred (sp) on here. I need to pm him. I'm still of the mind that this may be something simple with a brand new lower and shitty ammo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom