AR15 Reliability

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    So this past weekend I watched close to 30k rounds of .223/5.56mm fired through ARs. All of the rifles were from quality builders i.e. DD, LMT, Colt, BCM, Spikes, and JP. I didnt see a single real "jam". There was a dry rifle that balked, and unstated castle nut that loosened, and a few Double Feeds related in my observation to magazines and gun handling.

The rifle I shot, a DD 12.5" Carbine is about 18 months old. It has north of 30k rounds through it to date and has never been cleaned. Never. I havent even wiped it out, I just add more frog lube. I had a weird combo malfunction that looked like a bolt override humping a failure to extract. That was it. A single malfunction. I'm gonna chalk that one up to the 55gr Silver Bear knock off ammo I was using.

Are there still people who feel like these guns sent reliable?

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    I've always rolled my eyes when people talk able AR's not being reliable. Thats said..... Clean your damn rifle VG!...lol

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    Other than the rarity of a part failure, the few problems I've seen are usually user related. It's been the primary rifle of our military as long as I've been alive. That's good enough for me. I'm told the Kalashnikovs have reached legendary status... Well, I think the same can be said for the AR platform.

schnugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Fired several flavors of M-16's during my 12 years in the military. The only one I ever had an issue with is the one I used to qualify with in Basic Training. One out of every 10 rounds would misfeed, resulting in the bolt not closing. I never got the chance to determine what the actual issue was, just developed a work around of rotating the rifle 90 degrees CCW, lowering the magazine, pulling the charging handle to the rear and releasing. The "jammed" round would feed properly into the chamber, and I would reseat the magazine, rotate back to the firing position and continue firing. I chalk this issue up to the overuse, abuse and no single "owner" of the weapon due to the basic training environment.

If I owned this rifle, you can be sure I would have identified and remedied the cause of the misfeeds.

Again, only time I ever had an issue in 12 years of usage, and probably 50+ different weapons handled.

God Bless.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    That thing has to leave a constant smell of gun smoke in your house. Thats when I know it's time to clean mine. They start to overpower the bedroom febreeze plug in.

Nope it smells like lube. At least mine does. I stopped cleaning mine after shooting with Nate. I have North of 2000 rounds through it since and had no problems either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I didn't know this was even still a question people asked.

Anyone who doubts their reliability obviously doesn't shoot anything enough to even worry about malfunctions anyways, so they are completely disregarded.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    It takes two minutes to clean an AR:
    Open rifle
    Spray the **** out of everything with brake cleaner
    Shake out brake cleaner
    (optional)Blow dry
    Oil the **** out of everything
    Close rifle
    :thumbsup:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I like it. I don't delve into the science it's non-toxic and it works. What's the guidance from TACOM on barrel life these days?

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I run the brush through mine every few hundred rounds. But spray it with clp and oil it with 20w-50 synthetic motor oil everytime I go shoot it. Had 1 jam out of 5k rounds and think it was due to ammo reload.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I think if VG cleaned his carbine he would find out there isnt actually a BCG in there, just a lump of carbon that roughly resembles one.

I did end up cleaning mine after the class to check for worn parts. Its about time for a bolt change on my 10.5.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    My DI gun has a carbon op rod inside the gas tube. But it smells minty fresh. The best part was getting out of the car with my carbine smoking after a fresh frog lubing. It smelled fresh and looked ****.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I don't clean my AR's much. I haven't had a single failure even in my cheap franken guns. The "Highest" end AR is a Spikes. I am going to build something nice one day with top shelf parts, but for now my stable is fine. I even ran a few thousand rounds of 2.99 Monarch through them.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    So this past weekend I watched close to 30k rounds of .223/5.56mm fired through ARs. All of the rifles were from quality builders i.e. DD, LMT, Colt, BCM, Spikes, and JP. I didnt see a single real "jam". There was a dry rifle that balked, and unstated castle nut that loosened, and a few Double Feeds related in my observation to magazines and gun handling.

The rifle I shot, a DD 12.5" Carbine is about 18 months old. It has north of 30k rounds through it to date and has never been cleaned. Never. I havent even wiped it out, I just add more frog lube. I had a weird combo malfunction that looked like a bolt override humping a failure to extract. That was it. A single malfunction. I'm gonna chalk that one up to the 55gr Silver Bear knock off ammo I was using.

Are there still people who feel like these guns sent reliable?

This was my opinion as well!

I did see an FSC-556 comp come unscrewed, and a BCG was rendered temporarily inoperable by "something" jamming the firing-pin's path through the bolt. It failed to fire.

Those failures are what I would consider "universal" though.

I agree with you. I was VERY! impressed with the lack of issues.

Top Bottom