AR15 Reliability

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I think if VG cleaned his carbine he would find out there isnt actually a BCG in there, just a lump of carbon that roughly resembles one.

I did end up cleaning mine after the class to check for worn parts. Its about time for a bolt change on my 10.5.

How did you determine this?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I'll have to get some. Been meaning to get something that keeps wife from complaining and CLP smells more then the carbon.

Stuff's expensive. I have some that I don't need, and selling half-used containers of lube is just weird. If you want it, PM me and it's yours.
    242tlzp.jpg

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    So this past weekend I watched close to 30k rounds of .223/5.56mm fired through ARs. All of the rifles were from quality builders i.e. DD, LMT, Colt, BCM, Spikes, and JP. I didnt see a single real "jam". There was a dry rifle that balked, and unstated castle nut that loosened, and a few Double Feeds related in my observation to magazines and gun handling.

The rifle I shot, a DD 12.5" Carbine is about 18 months old. It has north of 30k rounds through it to date and has never been cleaned. Never. I havent even wiped it out, I just add more frog lube. I had a weird combo malfunction that looked like a bolt override humping a failure to extract. That was it. A single malfunction. I'm gonna chalk that one up to the 55gr Silver Bear knock off ammo I was using.

Are there still people who feel like these guns sent reliable?
    It depends on what your comparing it too in terms of reliability.I still would rather trust my AK-74.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    It depends on what your comparing it too in terms of reliability.I still would rather trust my AK-74.

Im comparing it to reality. 3 simple malfunctions in 30K+ Rounds is very acceptable. Given the increase in ergonomics, modularity, adaptability, and accuracy its a no brainer to me. Im glad your happy with your AK stuff. Have you ever had a malfuction with your AK74?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Ding Ding. that and because the US Military told people to beware of "overlubing" the gun until 7 or 8 years ago, some **** USGI Mags, and poor reliability while firing blanks.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I like both. Call me open minded. Never had an AK or AR malfunction. I have had a few Pistol malfunctions, but I have 10X the rounds through pistols than I do rifles, way too many shooting stationary at stationary targets. Now .22 rifles, plenty of duds.

Rm105629

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2011
    Houston
    I think the AR platform is more reliable than it's given credit for and the AK platform isn't as inaccurate/crude as people make it seem. Therefore, I'm taking the smart route and intend to get both! :D

Not to derail, but what brand should I be looking at for a first-time AR?

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    I have never show or owned an AR or an AK, not even fondled one actually. I was planning to get an AK sooner than later, because of what I read about the reliability "issues". Thanks to this thread, I have changed my mind. Hoping to head towards baton rouge next weekend to see different ARs. Would I need to buy a top brand, like DD to have reliability, or could I get this with something like PSA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Im comparing it to reality. 3 simple malfunctions in 30K+ Rounds is very acceptable. Given the increase in ergonomics, modularity, adaptability, and accuracy its a no brainer to me. Im glad your happy with your AK stuff. Have you ever had a malfuction with your AK74?
    Only once and a new disconnector spring fixed it. I dont think I've run more than 6 or 7 thousand rounds through it and it still has yet to fail and or rendered useless. Just had to rack it every shot until I got home.I dont have to baby it, sometimes I go months without cleaning it and have run only corrosive steel case ammo thru it. A kick of the boot to the slide to free it up and its good to go. I've even had a case stuck in the receiver and it still ran.
    The funny thing about AKs is almost all are assembled in the US are built with the same used springs and firing pins that they were originally issued with (and they still run!)
    Dont get me wrong, I like ARs, Fals and any other military style rifles, but prefer the AK.
    It is the shiz....Shoot, I can take a 1 dollar piece of sheetmetal and replace the receiver if I want and not need any electrical power machines or welders.
    Can one do that with a AR?
    Infact, i have an AK that is built on a flat and would be willing to tie it to one of your ARs, throw them in the swamp on a rope wait a month and see if they still run as before.
    Hell I'd play pencils with a AK vs AR and I think the AK would win there too as it's much more robust . When it comes to accuracy is in the operator, but reliability is in the machine.
    I am glad that not everyone likes the AK platform because if they did, they would become more expensive like ARs.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Only one real jam for me and that was with an off brand barrel for the first round fired (rough chamber). No problems since. I too was worried about jams but they haven't happened. I might get around to cleaning it next weekend...

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Uh they are expensive. What does and Aresnal cost?
    Its funny you mention Arsenal.From the factory they have the worst trigger pull I have ever felt.I have had safequeen AKs but dident like them.I liken them to a gold accented engraved glock.Sure it runs good but what good is all the bling?While were asking questions about ARs I have one.It involves the charging handle.It looks as if it could break easy to me and was wondering what do you do to rack the slide with one hand out of commission?I mean with a AK you can rub the charging handle on your belt or any other object in the area.Hell you can lay the AK down on the ground and slide it to charge it if nessasary.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Its funny you mention Arsenal.From the factory they have the worst trigger pull I have ever felt.I have had safequeen AKs but dident like them.I liken them to a gold accented engraved glock.Sure it runs good but what good is all the bling?While were asking questions about ARs I have one.It involves the charging handle.It looks as if it could break easy to me and was wondering what do you do to rack the slide with one hand out of commission?I mean with a AK you can rub the charging handle on your belt or any other object in the area.Hell you can lay the AK down on the ground and slide it to charge it if nessasary.

FWIW, I just successfully charged my AR via my belt. Not much struggle. Of course, I have a big and heavy duty Mod 3 BCM charging handle :mamoru:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008

The Charging handle is the way it is so you can function it while you keep the weapon aimed at the target. In all the time I have on guns in adverse conditions I never once not ever found it wise, necessary, or desirable to lay one on the ground to charge it. I'm glad you like your AKs man. Free will is important. Personally I think it's lacking alot.

Top Bottom