AR15 Reliability

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • #1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    While were still talking about the AKs here is another thing I have learned about them.One time (At bandcamp)I accidentally ran a 223 round through my 762.x39 AK.It bounced down range and blastformed the case but dident hurt the gun in any way(It was steelcase ammo).It wont be accurate and I woulden advise it but it will work in a emergency and a AR woulden't fire in a reverse senario.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Having done it with both, I don't think either is easier to charge one-handed. Basically the same actually. One benefit of the AR is you can do it with the safety engaged.

ETA: wait...why did this turn into another AK vs AR argument anyway? :rofl:

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Cool.Is the shaft thicker on it than a regular one?Do all of them come with that latch hook to release them when charging it?

I don't have my stock one to compare to anymore. This one doesn't have a hook exactly, just a very large finger latch. My buddy had an RRA that had a charging handle with a huge square hook though.

I'm looking forward to my friend picking up his AK. Between that and my other friends FAL, we can all go out and poke fun at each others stuff :D

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Having done it with both, I don't think either is easier to charge one-handed. Basically the same actually. One benefit of the AR is you can do it with the safety engaged.

ETA: wait...why did this turn into another AK vs AR argument anyway? :rofl:
    It wasent I was asking a genuine question about the operation of a AR.I would never argue about the awesome reliability of the AK.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I do understand PPl like ARs over AKs though.The triggers are smooth and the scopes you can get are sweet to say the least.I enjoy shooting my AR pistol with the 22 conversion on it.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Yea keep telling yourself that.LOL.I dont even know what a gas key is on a AR.Im refering to the handle that you grab to charge/load the gun.

The gas key on the bolt slides back n forth inside the channel in the charging handle (the c shaped portion) so I don't think you could add much material there on an aftermarket charging handle without interfering with internals of the rifle.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    The gas key on the bolt slides back n forth inside the channel in the charging handle (the c shaped portion) so I don't think you could add much material there on an aftermarket charging handle without interfering with internals of the rifle.
    I see.2 more question for the AR guys.#1 Why is it when you take a marshmallow and impale it on a fork Then light it on fire it makes them taste better?And #2Why wont they light again after you have skinned them once?...None of my AK buddys know.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I see.2 more question for the AR guys.#1 Why is it when you take a marshmallow and impale it on a fork Then light it on fire it makes them taste better?And #2Why wont they light again after you have skinned them once?...None of my AK buddys know.

The fire is caramelizing the sugars in the marshmallow. That's why it tastes better.

As for the second part, what do you mean by skinned?

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    You can charge it 1 handed by using a sling and putting the stock into your stomach, but the bolt locks back, so unless you are clearing a malfunction, it's not required.

All of the top tier military units use M4s.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    You can charge it 1 handed by using a sling and putting the stock into your stomach, but the bolt locks back, so unless you are clearing a malfunction, it's not required. .
    Unless you lost count and ran the mag dry.Then I guess its over in that senario.It seems to me that the AR is very dependant on 2 good hands.Or one hand and a strong nose to push that little button that lets the slide go foward.I guess thats why most AKs dont have BHO.

Top Bottom