AR15 Reliability

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Honestly I think that for our home defense purposes buy one and practice with it. You can't go wrong with either. I own both. I prefer to shoot the AR. It just feels better to me. That being said I wouldn't feel out gunned or inadequate with my AK. Unless I was trying to shoot someone at 300m. Which I never will be since you can't prove self defense at that range. :)

Both are great designs. Each as it's strength and weaknesses. You can't really call weapon systems that have been in service for so long, used by so many countries, and updated so often bad rifles.

Dave

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    After having been talked into buying the thing by one member, I took it home and tried to do the ritual new gun cleaning (it was a NIB Arsenal), and felt... unclean. :D

It's probably because you didn't follow the correct ritual and angered the AK demons. It is sacrilege to clean an AK unless you shoot at least 500 rounds through it. When you clean it, there MUST be vodka present on the table. If there are other people present in the room while the dust cover is removed, you must refer to them as "Comrade" or "Tovarishch".

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    After the inital burn I pull the charred skin off and consume it leaving the inside of the mallow on thw fork.It wont burn(The leftover part)again.

I really don't have any idea on that one. My edumacated guess would be that the initial burn has filled the initial voids with CO2 and mickey mouse silhouettes (H2O). That might make it a little more resistant to burning.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    I really don't have any idea on that one. My edumacated guess would be that the initial burn has filled the initial voids with CO2 and mickey mouse silhouettes (H2O). That might make it a little more resistant to burning.
    The only thing different from preburn and post skinning is the cornstarch they apply to keep the marshmallows from sticking together.Is cornstarch flamable

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    And the Mechanic chimes in................... No I have NOT tried Frog Lube, I guess I can / will.

what I was gonna recommend was Royal Purple 80/90w Synthetic Gear Oil.
    I keep a little 2oz bottle and some small hobby paint brushes.
    The brush will allow you to put a drop here and there and in the tight spots, then brush over the parts to form a thin film.
    The oil forms a barrier between the parts and the burnt powder does NOT stick to anything.

Pretty amazing stuff.

Also, I use it on my AK's too. works 100 times better than motor oils or regular synthetic motor oils.
    The Gear oil "Clings" onto the metal parts.

Repeating this process has allowed me to put an electric start on all of my AR's.
    [No that does NOT make sense ]

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    And the Mechanic chimes in................... No I have NOT tried Frog Lube, I guess I can / will.

what I was gonna recommend was Royal Purple 80/90w Synthetic Gear Oil.
    I keep a little 2oz bottle and some small hobby paint brushes.
    The brush will allow you to put a drop here and there and in the tight spots, then brush over the parts to form a thin film.
    The oil forms a barrier between the parts and the burnt powder does NOT stick to anything.

Pretty amazing stuff.

Also, I use it on my AK's too. works 100 times better than motor oils or regular synthetic motor oils.
    The Gear oil "Clings" onto the metal parts.

Repeating this process has allowed me to put an electric start on all of my AR's.
    [No that does NOT make sense ]

Does it smell OK? I don't like the smell of Hypoid Gear Oil for example. ATF is supposed to be a great CLP, just a bit on the thin side. I remember the Lucas gear oil additive display with gears. That stuff would help oil defy gravity.

LNSvince

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Denham springs
    That is a good question. and thankfully is does NOT smell like VG's ass after a week out in the Desert Sands.

There's not much of a smell at all, especially after its hot.

Now regular Dinosaur Gear oil -- After it gets hot, There is no way I would use it either.

Yes I remember those on the auto parts counters. and Yes, thats how it works. IM pretty sure anyone here over the age of 30 has probably cranked on one of those
    handles a time or 2 -- :crazy:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    LNSVince,

I just saw Royal Purple makes gun oil also.

Would the 75w140 have any advantage over the 75w90 on a gun application or do you think it would have some disadvantage?

I did see a 1911 the had the Militec lube and in would clean up easily. I am a fan of what is available in the local shelves though.

Thanks for the info.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    I'm looking forward to my friend picking up his AK. Between that and my other friends FAL, we can all go out and poke fun at each others stuff :D

I have a few of each. Sometimes when I'm closing the safe door at the end of the night I yank it back open just to see if they are fighting with each other. I can only imagine what goes on in there during the day when I'm gone.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I have a few of each. Sometimes when I'm closing the safe door at the end of the night I yank it back open just to see if they are fighting with each other. I can only imagine what goes on in there during the day when I'm gone.

Better be careful because they will end up crossbreeding and producing a piston driven AR, like my POF.

Staying on topic, I only had problems with two AR-15s and oddly, both of them had issues with how the gas port was drilled for the direct impingement system. Going further, both uppers were from J&T Distributing and they took care of the problems immediately. The first time it happened, they fixed it themselves. The second time it happened, the dealer just gave me a brand new upper and apologized for the problem.

Top Bottom