AR15 vs mini 14

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I'm looking to get into the tactical arms game. My budget isn't as high as I've seen some of ya'lls guns, but it sure does give me something to dream about. :D I've been looking at the AR's mainly (my previous thread on this board), but recently started taking a closer look at the Ruger Mini 14s. What are some of the pros and cons of these two systems. From my research it seems like they are pretty close, not in actual machine function but versatility. I really want to hear what the guys/girls in the know have to say though.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I looked at them for a long time also. Finally went AR. More versatile. More accurate. More options. More importantly, I could do it a bit at a time. It took a while but I'm pretty happy w/ my AR.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    +1 to LACamper. If you buy a mini you will buy a AR later. If you buy a AR you will probably buy another AR later.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I would stay away from the MINI, its a good weapon I've HAD both the 14 and the 30 and eventually they both found a new home, they are very limited when it comes to accesories, aftermarket mags really suck and Ruger doesnt provide much support with the new needs of operators in the game, its a Ranch Rifle and nothing more, it is reliable as it is based on a rifle that was proven in combat but its years away from being a tactical carbine.

AR or AK IMO but thats just a personal preference.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    AR hands down, accuracy, ability to customize exactly like you want it and can build it exactly like YOU want it was why I built mine. I saved money building it, because I spent the money on just what I wanted, not something that I didn't. I shopped for deals too, bought when parts went on sale. Shot the mini plenty and my brother has got a good one, but it's not the same. Apples to Oranges ya know!

Bam Bam

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I'd like to stay under $1000 by as much as possible, preferably in the 6-800 range. My dad has a saying that "if you buy the best you can afford at the time, you wont be dissappointed". The ARs that were in that price range seemed sketchy at best. The years of reliability I've personally had and researched on the Rugers, along with being around $670 for the tactical mini are what caught my attention.

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I Had a mini..Sold it and went to the AR. The mini likes factory mags...factory mags are not cheap. Like another poster said, if you buy a mini you will probably end up buying a AR.

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    I'd like to stay under $1000 by as much as possible, preferably in the 6-800 range. My dad has a saying that "if you buy the best you can afford at the time, you wont be dissappointed". The ARs that were in that price range seemed sketchy at best. The years of reliability I've personally had and researched on the Rugers, along with being around $670 for the tactical mini are what caught my attention.

Witha 1k dollar budget you can get a really nice AR

Take a look at S&W or Spikes tactical

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I have owned mini 14's in the past and have not been impressed. I would suggest the Spikes tactical LE carbine, they are $759 after the arfcom discount code, and are a nice rifle for the price. You should be able to get it shipped and transferred for under $800

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Yeah with that budget you would be CRAZY to buy a mini.

The M&P AR is also a good bang for the money, and can be found in the $800 range, also look into Spikes and Stag Arms

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    What I meant by my budget was that it's possible, but not preferable i.e. I'd rather not spend 800-1k on a rifle. I'll look into the spike carbine. Thats the best reputable factory price I've heard.

rhino74s

biker scout
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I have a mini-14 because I like the old school wood and steel, I intend to use it more for fun shoots and smaller game hunting.
    I do plan on buying an AR-15 for defensive and shtf applications though.

DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    AR, even if you have a $700 budget, you can get the rock river arms upper that one of the sponsors has for sale and a plum crazy lower. When you have more, get a metal lower.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I guess it all depends on what one wants,,,and what one needs. And in all honesty,,,I know I really don't "need' either. As far as that attitude of having a tactical weapon for when the SHTF,,,well I just don't think it ever will hit the fan. So,,,I guess it all depends really on what one wants and what one has illusions of what may happen one day.
    I just don't see a personal NEED far any tactical long arm weapon. Yet,,, living in the Big City,,,I do have a need for a CCW. So I lean towards a good handgun.
    As far as a rifle,,,,I can never really personally envision any situation of "needing" tactical weapon. Yea, I guess I can envision another Katrina type of situation. If that were to happen again, I am more than confident with my purchase of a stainless Mini-14,,,,and it's a scratched up Police trade in from Bud's. 569.00

Now,,,don't get me wrong,,,I like and want a lot of different Tactical style weapons. But,,,that is just collecting,,,or investing. Heck,,,I do like guns. And I want most of them because I really appreciate the design and quality.

I know I already have more than I will ever NEED.
    Like I said,,,I can only envision another Katrina style situation,,,and if that is the case,,,I think my Mini 14 and Sig 226 will be more than I will ever need. Oh,,,,yea,,,I think there is an old 12 gauge Ithaca pump in my parents attic also,,,LOL

And,,,as far as if the SHTF,,,,does anyone really think they can take on any government. In real life situations,,,government militaries always win. All one needs to do is look at Libya today. Civilians can never expect to ever overpower a well armed military. It is delusional and a waste to think otherwise. If it is change one wants,,,they should get out and vote. Unfortunately,,,,only 50% of American do so on a good day.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I had a Mini30. Now I have several AR's. If you're not going to shoot it a lot or really like the look of the wooden stock go with the Mini. But for the record I don't own a Mini anymore. The last AR I bought I built from parts and it cost me about $623. Of course it took me three years of shopping at gun shows to find the parts I liked but there you. It's a complete mutt with parts from no less than five different manufacturers but it works and is accurate.

Dave

Top Bottom