AR15 vs mini 14

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    I like the idea of saving money on the kit, minus the lower. But I'm hung up on assembly. What are the odds that I wont be able to put it together and/or screw something up?

onebigbagostupi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Just for reference, I recently purchased a police trade in Stainless mini 14 GB hogue stock with three 30 round factory magazines for 610 shipped, the rifle was 489 and the tapco stock version was the same price. I was in a similar situation as the OP, the reasons why I chose getting the mini 14 over spending around 400 dollars more on what I would want in an AR is sort of simple. As far as cost is concerned, it is not a matter of an AR costing 1000 dollars, it was more of the choice that the price of a proper AK had risen up to about 430 dollars. Because of the substantial savings that were presented to me with the mini 14 it was then a battle between the mini 14 and an AK. If i were to buy an ak and then an ar, I would sell the ak. I knew that I would never sell the mini 14, purely based on the fact that a ranch rifle is a timeless idea in my mind. I know that the day will come that I will own an AR, it is not to replace the mini 14.
    Making it tacticool will consist of
    1. An ultimak-style rail
    2. An aimpoint H1
    3. Tech sights rear sight
    4. Tritium front dot
    5. Extended mag release from accuracy systems
    6. Light mount/Light

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well, I have both. Without question, the AR series is more accurate at longer ranges, and has more goodies available for it, if that's your thing. Though it may sound like blasphemy to some, I didn't really acquire my AR as a long-range piece, anyway. If I HAD to have an AR platform for that, I'd probably end up with a AR-10....

But that's just me.:)

I consider my Mini 14 to be an extremely reliable gun, though. Never had any issues with it. The "Midget Garand" is worth having, IMHO. Easy to handle in a pinch that you hope never comes. In that regard, it's kind of like a M1 Carbine with a little more punch.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    A new development in the case: I was at Academy over the weekend and they have a bushmaster with the, I guess it's polymer, lower for 699. The gun felt great other than the cheapish feeling 4pt stock. After spending some time at the gun show in Bossier Saturday, I really understand what that extra lb -lb and a half is. Considering I was looking at picking up a Mini for 679 from buds or some place, this may be my gateway into the AR world.

I found it on the Bushmaster website. http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_MAZ-C1516SLORC.asp

Last edited:

Plinky

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you are going to get an AR, I would direct my attention as many have said here towards buying a simple lower from spikes and a del-ton quality upper. Down the road you can do some swapping out and upgrading but buying a plastic AR as your first AR will definately give you the wrong idea about AR's as a whole.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Thats a wonderful suggestion, can somebody tell me PLEASE how hard is it to assemble one and what are the odds that a novice, like me, will screw something up?

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA

I think that if you are even slightly mechanically inclined, i.e. can change oil and work on a bicycle, you will have no problem building an AR. I used these videos to guide me along when assembling my lowers. I have assembled 3 or 4 lowers using these videos as well as the ar15 guide. I think most would agree that building the LPK is the most tedious part of building the AR. I have no experience dealing with headspacing or gas block installation, but most uppers you will buy are complete already. Hope this helps.

onebigbagostupi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    Palmetto state armory just released their complete upper for 400 dollars, along with the complete lower that they sell for 300 dollars, u can get a weapon that u just have to assemble, for 700 dollars. This set up would be miles ahead of that BM.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    thanks swagge1. I guess it really isnt that hard if the video is only 12 minutes long total. :) I'll look into the building one some more, but if I can get one for 700 already built from a reputable company that is really gonna be more of a safe queen and weekend warrior then I'm probably gonna take the easy way out.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Took my wife out shooting before deer season last year, first time in a long time she went with me. I let her shoot my .40 Taurus and poor girl nearly knocked herself out with it from the recoil. I think the next trip she goes with me she'll be getting a session in with the Ruger MkII instead :)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    That is THE biggest mistake shooters do when they bring their "better half" shooting they give her a .40S&W or 45ACP and expect for them to enjoy it, seassoned shooters can indeed find enjoyment out of it but a newbie very seldom.

I had 3 students at the range about 10 days ago just working on some fundamentals, they had a guy there "teaching" his wife how to shoot on a DA/SA 45ACP, I could tell he was EX-MiL by his posture and the way he behaved, he was making her shoot at 25yds and she was really struggling and making faces , I kindly offered them to use one of my target stands and moving her to a 10-15 yds line (outdoor range), I also offered her to shoot ANY of my 9mm and even offered her 50 rounds of ammo, her eyes opened wide like a kid on XMAS day. She enjoyed the hell out of it, she was MUCH accurate with the 9mm and a striked fire weapon, I could tell he was VERY agravatted at the fact that she simply didnt care for HIS weapon but the end result was the fact that she wanted to continue to train and come back for more. I would suggest starting her with a 22LR and then moving her up to a 9mm once she has learned the fundamentals, otherwise she will loose interest in it very quickly.

Its a great activity that can de done as a couple which will help the two of you bond, but if she doesnt enjoy it then you might as well go alone.

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Its a great activity that can de done as a couple which will help the two of you bond, but if she doesnt enjoy it then you might as well go alone.

I started my wife with a .22 rifle and she was absolutely surprised at how accurate she could be with it. The only problem was that I was shooting my mosin on the next bench, and the muzzle blast was too much for her. She said that it would actually hurt.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    That is THE biggest mistake shooters do when they bring their "better half" shooting they give her a .40S&W or 45ACP and expect for them to enjoy it, seassoned shooters can indeed find enjoyment out of it but a newbie very seldom.

I had 3 students at the range about 10 days ago just working on some fundamentals, they had a guy there "teaching" his wife how to shoot on a DA/SA 45ACP, I could tell he was EX-MiL by his posture and the way he behaved, he was making her shoot at 25yds and she was really struggling and making faces , I kindly offered them to use one of my target stands and moving her to a 10-15 yds line (outdoor range), I also offered her to shoot ANY of my 9mm and even offered her 50 rounds of ammo, her eyes opened wide like a kid on XMAS day. She enjoyed the hell out of it, she was MUCH accurate with the 9mm and a striked fire weapon, I could tell he was VERY agravatted at the fact that she simply didnt care for HIS weapon but the end result was the fact that she wanted to continue to train and come back for more. I would suggest starting her with a 22LR and then moving her up to a 9mm once she has learned the fundamentals, otherwise she will loose interest in it very quickly.

Just don't let the lady folk fall in love with YOUR 9mm's.

Mine has all but taken over the 92 F/S and Sig 226R. (Fortunately, my very favorite pistols are all chambered a bit "meaner".)

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    That just means you got 4-5 girlfriends putting their grubby paws all over the fine 9's!

They can find out about each other without causing you too much grief. Just be CERTAIN they always think x-9mm is "their" pistol. :rofl:

Hehe that made me laugh all early in the morning.

THey have WAYYY more people than that molesting my guns since they are also used for "training" while teaching fundamentals but I dont mind, the more they fingerbang them the smoother they get :)

So use them baby, the trick is not to tell them this was the exes gun is to tell them the ex could shoot ALL shots in the X ring, quickly they start making HEAD SHOTS, phahahahhahahahaha.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom