AR15 vs mini 14

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DuckYou

Angry Wiener
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I guess it all depends on what one wants,,,and what one needs. And in all honesty,,,I know I really don't "need' either. As far as that attitude of having a tactical weapon for when the SHTF,,,well I just don't think it ever will hit the fan. So,,,I guess it all depends really on what one wants and what one has illusions of what may happen one day.
    I just don't see a personal NEED far any tactical long arm weapon. Yet,,, living in the Big City,,,I do have a need for a CCW. So I lean towards a good handgun.
    As far as a rifle,,,,I can never really personally envision any situation of "needing" tactical weapon. Yea, I guess I can envision another Katrina type of situation. If that were to happen again, I am more than confident with my purchase of a stainless Mini-14,,,,and it's a scratched up Police trade in from Bud's. 569.00

Now,,,don't get me wrong,,,I like and want a lot of different Tactical style weapons. But,,,that is just collecting,,,or investing. Heck,,,I do like guns. And I want most of them because I really appreciate the design and quality.

I know I already have more than I will ever NEED.
    Like I said,,,I can only envision another Katrina style situation,,,and if that is the case,,,I think my Mini 14 and Sig 226 will be more than I will ever need. Oh,,,,yea,,,I think there is an old 12 gauge Ithaca pump in my parents attic also,,,LOL

And,,,as far as if the SHTF,,,,does anyone really think they can take on any government. In real life situations,,,government militaries always win. All one needs to do is look at Libya today. Civilians can never expect to ever overpower a well armed military. It is delusional and a waste to think otherwise. If it is change one wants,,,they should get out and vote. Unfortunately,,,,only 50% of American do so on a good day.

What if the founders of our country thought like you?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess it all depends on what one wants,,,and what one needs. And in all honesty,,,I know I really don't "need' either. As far as that attitude of having a tactical weapon for when the SHTF,,,well I just don't think it ever will hit the fan. So,,,I guess it all depends really on what one wants and what one has illusions of what may happen one day.
    I just don't see a personal NEED far any tactical long arm weapon. Yet,,, living in the Big City,,,I do have a need for a CCW. So I lean towards a good handgun.
    As far as a rifle,,,,I can never really personally envision any situation of "needing" tactical weapon. Yea, I guess I can envision another Katrina type of situation. If that were to happen again, I am more than confident with my purchase of a stainless Mini-14,,,,and it's a scratched up Police trade in from Bud's. 569.00

Now,,,don't get me wrong,,,I like and want a lot of different Tactical style weapons. But,,,that is just collecting,,,or investing. Heck,,,I do like guns. And I want most of them because I really appreciate the design and quality.

Like I said,,,I can only envision another Katrina style situation,,,and if that is the case,,,I think my Mini 14 and Sig 226 will be more than I will ever need. Oh,,,,yea,,,I think there is an old 12 gauge Ithaca pump in my parents attic also,,,LOL

And,,,as far as if the SHTF,,,,does anyone really think they can take on any government. In real life situations,,,government militaries always win. All one needs to do is look at Libya today. Civilians can never expect to ever overpower a well armed military. It is delusional and a waste to think otherwise. If it is change one wants,,,they should get out and vote. Unfortunately,,,,only 50% of American do so on a good day.

So there is no need for a CHP in a small city? Is that because crime simply does not happen in small cities?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Well hell, someone needs to run back to the 18th century and tell all dem fools in the American Revolution that they are doing it wrong. :rolleyes:

Just curious, which type of grass do you prefer? Alfalfa or Bermuda?

sheep.jpg

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I'd like to stay under $1000 by as much as possible, preferably in the 6-800 range. My dad has a saying that "if you buy the best you can afford at the time, you wont be dissappointed". The ARs that were in that price range seemed sketchy at best. The years of reliability I've personally had and researched on the Rugers, along with being around $670 for the tactical mini are what caught my attention.

SOmething else you may want to consider, besides the obvious decision to go with an AR platform....

Magazines.

Mini mags are a little more difficult to find and reliable ones are even scarcer and more expensive. AR mags are plentiful and cheap.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    This is the style mini that I'm looking at. I looked up the mag situation last night. Genuine Ruger mags are 30-35 bucks. There were a lot of good reviews on the Tapco pmags for $13.
    mini14.jpg
    It's got the pic rails, telescopic stock, pistol grip

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    This is the style mini that I'm looking at. I looked up the mag situation last night. Genuine Ruger mags are 30-35 bucks. There were a lot of good reviews on the Tapco pmags for $13.
    mini14.jpg
    It's got the pic rails, telescopic stock, pistol grip

Wow. WHy would you want a mini-14 that looks like an M4? That is like dating a dude that looks like a woman and saying you are not gay because he cross dresses? :confused:

Get the M4 dude, you will not regret it. Mini-14's are great rifles. but at the end of the day, they lack the versatility, modularity, and availability of QUALITY accessories to suit your needs that the M4 has. If you do not like your M4, you can almost always get rid of it at no loss or very little. By the time you buy all that Tapco crap to put on it, you will far have exceeded what you would have paid for a better quality AR.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    I think you are missing my point. We live in the USA. The USA has the strongest military in the world. Now of course, we have the right to keep and bear arms,,,,but,,,let's just say that the population wanted to overthrow the government. The USA with the largest air power in the world would easily squash any civilian uprising IF IT WANTED TO. Right now,,in Libya,,,the civilian uprising is getting it's ass kicked,,,,and the civilian uprising even has a few Military deserters. The uprising has ground weapons,,,,in fact they have far more weapons than anyone on this board has. Unless some of you have anti-aircraft guns. And yet,,,because Gaddafi owns the air,,,he is easily squashing any and every resistance.
    I am not saying it would happen,,,,only saying that if it was the population armed with AKs, ARs or Mini-14s verse the US military armed with helicopter gunships,,,,do you really think it matters whether you have a AK or a Mini. Let me ask you,,,do you really think that because you have a "Tactical AR" you are going to win,,,, when the US has Thermal Imaging on a Blackhawk. Does anyone really think they have enough firepower to take on the US military.
    Air Power Rules,,,,it's been that way for the last 75 years.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    If your going with that shitty stock id say get an ar-15 hands down. The reason I prefer the mini (or most guns actually) over the AR is I HATE the M4 stock. Been meaning to shoot an ar with the A2 stock to see how I like it.

Beeramid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Near Lafayette, La
    "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun…" Bill Ruger

"I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 and 30 round magazines…" Bill Ruger

That's enough right there to never own any Ruger product, at least for me anyway. I think the only comparison between the two rifles is that they both fire a similar round (5.56 and .223 are not the same) Other then that the AR wins hands down.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    QUOTE: as far as if the SHTF,,,,does anyone really think they can take on any government. In real life situations,,,government militaries always win............... Civilians can never expect to ever overpower a well armed military. It is delusional and a waste to think otherwise. END QUOTE

1) Most US military would refuse to shoot US citizens.
    2) Many of citizen's hunting rifles would penetrate.
    3) It would be 50 or 75 to one, in citizen's favor.
    4) In the South & West, at least; many military & LEO's would defect to citizen's side.
    5) Unlike rest of World; US citizens have all sorts of weapons, camo, off-road vehicles, communications equipment, camping gear, boats, aircraft, etc. Many also have extensive military training & experience.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    1) Most US military would refuse to shoot US citizens.
    2) Many of citizen's hunting rifles would penetrate.
    3) It would be 50 or 75 to one, in citizen's favor.
    4) In the South & West, at least; many military & LEO's would defect to citizen's side.
    5) Unlike rest of World; US citizens have all sorts of weapons, camo, off-road vehicles, communications equipment, camping gear, boats, aircraft, etc. Many also have extensive military training & experience.

6) Peasants have fought us off in guerilla warfare on numerous occasions, with far fewer advantages and far less "sympathy" from their military opponents.

Really. Without the will to kill 10 innocent people for every 1 combatant, supreme military technology only goes so far when turned on a population. Yeah, if the rebellious group decided to group together in rural areas for effective carpet bombing, they've got problems. If they rolled a bunch of tanks (even modern) without any air support, they're toast.

If they follow the pattern of modern uprisings or resistances, it's a completely different ball game. If our gov't were willing to absolutely wreck the country and massacre a large chunk of the population, they would probably have free run. But what'd be left for them to conquer?

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    I had a Mini 14, it wound up at a kid's house. I bought a BushMaster AR on 9/12, it wound up at a kid's house; different kid (Brannon's Buddy). Never even got to fire it. Bought another Mini 14 when the coronation of Obama was on. Locked it in my safe. Then, learned that Ruger factory mags were hard to come by AND cost $45.00/per. Bought a big bunch, anyway.
    Decades ago, when I was a Captain in the US Army, we had the "new" Stoner black AR's. I wasn't impressed with it then; and, especially not with the "powerful" .223 or 5.56 or whatever the Army calls it. The guys in my unit would call me over to knock stuck targets down with my Python, when the AR's wouldn't do the job. Of course, those guys may not have been actually hitting the targets, either.
    But, I've never been in real combat; so, I'll have to defer to the "experts".
    I still say that the best thing for making people leave one alone is one of James Louque's tactical 870's.
    Old man ramble over.
    leVieux

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The AR is better in almost every way... it's more accurate, has more aftermarket support, Cheaper Mags, parts are more common.....

The Mini is a good reliable platform that is combat accurate, the only reason to get one is if it just fits you better.

I have struggled with the same question just because the Mini does the job and I just like it better.

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    i agree with 90% on here.

i wanted a mini 14 pretty damn bad a couple of months ago. but then got to looking at extra mags, lack of accessories, lack of the modular system. and decided to go with an ar. i planned on buying something for 600-700 dollars, but hung tight and kept saving, and ended up finding a brand new daniel defense m4xv for 900 shipped. couldn't beat the price, so i jumped on it. i have put plenty of rounds through it, and one thing that helped me a lot, was i didnt put any optics on it, till i could hit the steel at honey island about 27/30 with just the irons. still havent put any optics on it, but that's only because everytime i save up enough $ i buy ammo, or something else i have been wanting. a mini 14 is great, and i hate to call it a "novelty" but it is essentially a fun gun. they aren't very accurate, and there isnt much to "do" with them besides just shoot them. and for god's sake dont get a plastic mini instead of an ar. the whole lure to the mini for me is like what rhino74s said about the wood and steel. keep on saving, till you hit about 8-900 and get you something nice. and shoot the heck out of it before you start adding all kinds of stuff. however, if you must get on now for the 600 range either do what bosco said or check out the cmmg bargain bin ar for 599

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom