AR15 vs mini 14

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Ok, I think you guys might have sold me on Ar over mini. Thinking about building my own to save some coin. Looking at the PCF lower, but was wondering who makes the zombie/pirate lowers. Just for the cool factor. Also, how hard would it be for a novice to put one together?

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    I have both. Except for the usual ranter! (errrr), there was some good info in this post. I have had problems find Hi cap mags that work well. I think the A/R is the better way to go.
    Unless you are like me and just want both guns, if budget is the issue, wait, and get what you really want the first time.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    Ok, I got it now.

If you already have a rifle of this type, get the more expensive option first.
    If you do not have anything, get the least first to have something, and then save for the other.

This is only how I did it.

antknee985

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Thibodaux
    I have both. If I could only have one, I would keep my Mini and sell my AR. The mini 14 is accurate, reliable and the safety is ambidextrious. I also prefer that old military styling.

442shooter

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    prairieville
    love my mini. shot some buddies ar, its nice. i just love the old styling. i have not had any problems with my mini. i do only buy ruger mags. you can find 20rds for about 15 i think at hoffmans. 30s will run around 30. definitly worth it tho. it shoots great, accurate for sure. sturdy and reliable. just what i want in a firearm.

dfsutton

US Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I don't know if this is still true or not, but I know the Mini 14, at one point, had major accuracy issues when the barrel would heat up. Once it was heated a 2-3" group would become a 12" group. I have seen it happen first-hand and my friend was shooting his mini-14 only at 50 yards.

I would recommend an AR-15.

If you want to save up and get the best quality for the best price, I would recommend Bravo Company.

BCM standard 16" upper: $399, plus $163 for Charging handle and MPI Auto Bolt group. So $563

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M4-16-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-16.htm

BCM Standard Blemish Lower: $289

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Lower-Receiver-Groups-M4-AR15-s/156.htm

Add in your transfer fee of $25, $15 for shipping, and $30 for MOE carbine handguard and you have a top of the line rifle for $922. It doesn't have a carry handle, so you would have to add that if you weren't doing an optic.

I don't think you can beat that at all.

I would put this rifle up against any other manufacturer and it will be better than or equal to all of them.

Last edited:

442shooter

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    prairieville
    that was true for the older models. the newer tapered barrels are alot better. if you add some sort of strut in the front, like the accu strut. groupings stay consistant through heating.

rhino74s

biker scout
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Quick range report for the mini. . .
    Recently went to Honey Island with some friends and shot the mini for the first time. Put 120 rounds through it using American Eagle ammo and 4 factory 20 round mags. Had not a single issue, the gun and ammo ran flawlessly. We were all lighting up the 100 yard steel plates with my mini, using iron sights only. It made me really happy to know that I can count on this gun for accuracy and fun.
    I have a 580 series with the older stock, a metal handguard, a short accustrut and a Vietnam era sling. This gives it the look I wanted with the mini but like stated before I will eventually get an ar as well.
    Here's a pic to enjoy, lol.

DSCF0925.jpg
    [/IMG]

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    So basically what I've taken from this thread is that either gun will perform the functions that I, at this time, am looking for. However, the AR will be a better platform to build/rebuild when I get the hankering to upgrade. I'm really thinking about saying **** it and getting both. :D

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    So basically what I've taken from this thread is that either gun will perform the functions that I, at this time, am looking for. However, the AR will be a better platform to build/rebuild when I get the hankering to upgrade. I'm really thinking about saying **** it and getting both. :D

That's not what I got out of the thread at all, actually. But it's your dollar-- the choice is ultimately yours to make.

Expect to hear, "You should say **** it and get 2 ARs, instead of 1 and 1 Mini."

The only advantages I recognize that the Mini has over the AR is in terms of appearance. If you prefer wood-and-steel to plastic-and-aluminum, the Mini is your rifle. If you're looking for something a bit less "threatening" than the scary ol' black rifle, the Mini looks like a ranch gun to be sure. If for some reason the ergonomics and manual of arms of the AR doesn't agree with you, the Mini is your next viable choice.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You don't already own a AR. Every gun person should own an AR. They're the swiss army knife of rifles. You want a long range varmit gun? Buy the upper and drop it in. You want to act like a special forces guy without putting your life in danger on the weekends? No problem just bring your credit card. Same rifle totally different purpose. You want a 22LR? Buy a different upper. Same rifle. As far as the ATF is concerned you own one rifle.

Just my opinion

Dave

mike308

HandiChamp
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    Pearl River
    Nothing wrong with the Mini 14 when used as it was intended. It is a good camp, house or farm rifle. The AR is a civilian version of a military rifle and can be dressed every bit like a M16/M4 without the auto or burst option. My mini 14 has a folding stock that is perfect as a truck rifle or back pack. The wood stock is in the box on the shelf. My ARs all have heavy barrels and the extra stuff for competition so they are on the heavy side. The Mini14 weights what 5-6 pounds. The accuracy of the Mini14 is good not great when compared to an out of the box Rock River but a 3-4 inches group does as much damage as a 1 inch group at 100 yards if the need arose.

An AR can be made into a 600 yard 1 MOA rifle with ease. The Mini14 cannot. But I don't think the Mini14 is such a dissappointment that you would be totally bummed out. The Mini14 will probably lead you to an AR. So now you have 2. Whats wrong with that?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom