Are Louisiana's CCW Laws Unconstitutional?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditto1958

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    West Monroe
    Just read a thread on how long it takes to get a CCW permit. It seems folks are reporting it takes anywhere from a few days to 60-90 days after applying.

That really makes me wonder. In light of our newly strengthened state "2nd amendment" here, I think you could make a strong argument that most, if not all, of the requirements to get a concealed carry permit violate the state constitution.

Costs too much, takes too long, discriminates against residents who haven't lived here forever, requires non-criminals to be finger printed...

Is anyone aware of any cases pending challenging to process?

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Yes, whether or not a judge would agree is a different question. But if the Right to bare Arms is Inalienable, then we should not have to take a govt test to bare arms. A Right subject to govt tests is nothing but a privilege subject to the whims of govt officials.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just read a thread on how long it takes to get a CCW permit. It seems folks are reporting it takes anywhere from a few days to 60-90 days after applying.

That really makes me wonder. In light of our newly strengthened state "2nd amendment" here, I think you could make a strong argument that most, if not all, of the requirements to get a concealed carry permit violate the state constitution.

Costs too much, takes too long, discriminates against residents who haven't lived here forever, requires non-criminals to be finger printed...

Is anyone aware of any cases pending challenging to process?

The finger printing is a non-issue. I had to get my fingerprints done before I started at my job...but I also went through an FBI background check too :P

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The finger printing is a non-issue. I had to get my fingerprints done before I started at my job...but I also went through an FBI background check too :P

Yep. I had to get fingerprinted in Colorado and Louisiana for my job as well as go through an FBI background check and then some other check that I can't remember.

It really isn't an issue.The fingerprinting that is.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Seems to me that finger printing "should" be an issue. It doesn't matter that you have to get printed for your job. If we have the Inalienable Right to bare arms, why should we have to go through backgrounds checks? An addition to that, background checks are illogical bc criminals don't get background checks.

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    You don't have a constitutional right to a job. You do have a constitutional right to keep and ber arms. Charging for prints is unconstitutional too.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Seems to me that finger printing "should" be an issue. It doesn't matter that you have to get printed for your job. If we have the Inalienable Right to bare arms, why should we have to go through backgrounds checks? An addition to that, background checks are illogical bc criminals don't get background checks.
    Finger prints help further prove you are who you say you are. Take the tin-foil off for a second dude. It really isn't a big deal.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Yes, whether or not a judge would agree is a different question. But if the Right to bare Arms is Inalienable, then we should not have to take a govt test to bare arms. A Right subject to govt tests is nothing but a privilege subject to the whims of govt officials.

I wear sleeveless shirts frequently. Never had a problem.

:D

On point: Every time I get a check up, the Doctor checks my prostate. Doesn't give the government license to do the same. Not tinfoil; just liberty.

Last edited:

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Finger prints help further prove you are who you say you are. Take the tin-foil off for a second dude. It really isn't a big deal.

It's not tinfoil, it's logic. Either I have the Right and don't have to jump through govt hoops and take govt tests or its only a privilege subject to govt officials.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe

Why does the same logic not seem to work with minorities who can't get an ID to vote? Not accusing you of supporting that statement, not putting words in your mouth.

I went twice to the local PD for my prints. First time to find out how to get them done, second to get them done. I had to press a button, tell them what I wanted, slide cash into a slot, before I was allowed in, then was buzzed in and printed. No huge deal, but if you required that for voting, I suspect there would be much talk of voter suppression.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom