Are Louisiana's CCW Laws Unconstitutional?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Why does the same logic not seem to work with minorities who can't get an ID to vote? Not accusing you of supporting that statement, not putting words in your mouth.

I went twice to the local PD for my prints. First time to find out how to get them done, second to get them done. I had to press a button, tell them what I wanted, slide cash into a slot, before I was allowed in, then was buzzed in and printed. No huge deal, but if you required that for voting, I suspect there would be much talk of voter suppression.

Exactly. And voting rights weren't addressed by the Founders in the Bill of Rights.

Its all very Saul Alinsky to toss the word "tinfoil" around to stifle and marginalize disagreement. But the word refers to conspiracy theorizing. It really doesn't belong in a sober discussion of what is proper for government to involve itself in, regardless of the motivation.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I guess I really can't answer that. I have a ccw but I can't carry it without a CHP so I don't really know about just a ccw. ;)

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I guess I really can't answer that. I have a ccw but I can't carry it without a CHP so I don't really know about just a ccw. ;)

This adds so much to the conversation. We can now clarify CHL as to be legally able to carry a concealed weapon in LA. Thank you for your insight, and helpful post, that adds so much to the conversation. :)

D-Ray86

Tiger Eyed Bandit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 1, 2010
    Goodbee, LA
    Playing a little devils advocate here. Wouldn't the fact the state allows open carry void this conversation? Anyone is the state(-convicted felons) have the right to carry without testing, finger printing, or waiting. This next part is just personal opinion. As a LEO I am much more at ease with ppl who declare they have a CCP, because I know they spent the time to take a course and obtain the right to conceal carry.

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    Playing a little devils advocate here. Wouldn't the fact the state allows open carry void this conversation?

I would completely agree with you IF the Constitution said we had the Right to Bear Arms Openly, or the Right to Open Carry.

D-Ray86

Tiger Eyed Bandit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 1, 2010
    Goodbee, LA
    But on that same note it doesn't specify the right to carry a firearm in a matter not visible to the public, which may have not been thought of considering the types of firearms in that time.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Can one get in trouble for carrying a knife concealed? Did they have concealable knives in 1791. The Founders also didn't say specifically that they were talking about firearms. Seems they deliberately left the subject open to whatever "arms" were developed that they did not foresee. They were not a bunch of idiots oblivious to technological evolution. Look into it, and you will discover that they chose their words carefully. Unlike folks today.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    This adds so much to the conversation. We can now clarify CHL as to be legally able to carry a concealed weapon in LA. Thank you for your insight, and helpful post, that adds so much to the conversation. :)

Wrong We have a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permitperiod. It's NOT a concealed weaponlicense. With a CHP all it covers is handguns that's why the name is Concealed HANDGUN Permit.
    In some states you can have a Concealed Weapons Permit to carry other weapons concealed but not in La.

You could be arrested in Louisiana under RS 14:95 Illegal carrying of weapons and have a CHP and your handgun on you concealed if you had some other type of weapon on you, for the other weapon and not the gun.

I hope you see where I'm going. Most of the people reporting about guns and the ones making our gun laws don't know **** about guns. So it would help US if we in the gun world understand and use the right terminology so they won't think we are a bunch of dummies.

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Wrong We have a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permitperiod. It's NOT a concealed weaponlicense. With a CHP all it covers is handguns that's why the name is Concealed HANDGUN Permit.
    In some states you can have a Concealed Weapons Permit to carry other weapons concealed but not in La.

You could be arrested in Louisiana under RS 14:95 Illegal carrying of weapons and have a CHP and your handgun on you concealed if you had some other type of weapon on you, for the other weapon and not the gun.

I hope you see where I'm going. Most of the people reporting about guns and the ones making our gun laws don't know **** about guns. So it would help US if we in the gun world understand and use the right terminology so they won't think we are a bunch of dummies.

Why do the terminology and grammar police not use accurate terminology? I admit my error about the weapon, I meant handguns. but, I posted weapons, my bad. Last I checked, Louisiana was properly abbreviated as LA, not La.

Just saying, if you gonna point out errors, watch your own back..

Just messing with you.:)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Why do the terminology and grammar police not use accurate terminology? I admit my error about the weapon, I meant handguns. but, I posted weapons, my bad. Last I checked, Louisiana was properly abbreviated as LA, not La.

Just saying, if you gonna point out errors, watch your own back..

Just messing with you.:)

:doh:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My fingerprints are in the system so many times, the last time I went to send them in, the FBI told me don't worry about it, we can't upload any more of your fingerprints in our system! The state police printed my permit the day I turned in my application as a favor, but I had been working with them to resolve an issue and they knew my CHP lapsed due to circumstances beyond my control.

As far as Louisiana becoming a constitutional carry state, I am pretty sure that was the intent of the voters who voted yes on 2, now for the courts to get it right. It does have it's drawbacks for travel if the CHP unit ceases to issue permits. It would be nice to carry not on a permit so you don't have duty to report, but when you go out of state carry the right to carry with you...

SVT

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Slidell
    But on that same note it doesn't specify the right to carry a firearm in a matter not visible to the public, which may have not been thought of considering the types of firearms in that time.

Well, it's on you to provide evidence that the Founders did not consider concealing a firearm to be a Right. I'd be interested to read what you have showing this.

gunner_lee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Pollock, La
    I think there's still one uniform officer and 2 ladies working in the CCL office. And on average over 1000 applications come in a week. That's probably why it's taking so long to get your license back to you.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    [h=1]Are Louisiana's CCW Laws Unconstitutional?[/h]
    There may be some different legal interpretations here depending on whose constitution you are applying; The United States' or Louisiana's State Constitution.

I think that CCW Laws are unconstitutional according to the Louisiana constitution now because they do not pass the strict scrutiny test.

OP specifically mentioned the recent Con. Am. to the State Con. so I assume we're talking Loozyanna. Though I think some discussion went broader. I don't think it's in line with either, honestly.

Top Bottom