ATF "gun verification"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I have no backstory on this, just thought it was worth posting.
    Just going by what is provided in the video, it seems as though this guy is completely innocent of any wrong doing. He purchased 2 or more guns and they sent the ATF to his house to verify that he had them.
    How is this even legal? These were not NFA items.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    Maybe checking on the FFL that he did not add additional guns to the 4473 after the sale and actually sold them to someone else. Either that, or checking that the buyer was the actual purchaser and not a straw purchaser who had already passed the guns on. ATF is not doing anything illegal, since they were only asking for verification. They still could not demand to see the guns, or enter the house without a warrant.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Maybe checking on the FFL that he did not add additional guns to the 4473 after the sale and actually sold them to someone else. Either that, or checking that the buyer was the actual purchaser and not a straw purchaser who had already passed the guns on. ATF is not doing anything illegal, since they were only asking for verification. They still could not demand to see the guns, or enter the house without a warrant.
    Did they not demand to see the guns? I could be wrong but I believe that was the whole purpose of their visit.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Under these circumstances they normally ask for permission to enter and verify what you have and they have no problem with getting a warrant and local LEO assistance if deemed necessary. They may ask to download your computer if deemed necessary.

nwfdub

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2020
    US
    100% on the level. They say exactly what purchaser did. "He bought multiple guns at once" Nowadays if you take your wife to the gun store and she wants a gun, but you to be the purchaser, you had better not purchase one for yourself too.

When you purchase 2 or more firearms in one purchase, or multiple purchases over a few weeks, say 6. You're going to get a knock. They want to see if it's a law abiding family man, or a lone physco living in moms basement.

They also say, they don't blame the guy for his insecurities. They invite him to lock the door, they'll stay outside. They also show they have a list of other possible guns purchased by him, if he could save them a trip back out. They were very cool about it. In truth they don't want to be there either, but had it been the latter situation........

At least this approach supports law abiding gun owners.

You can avoid this situation by simply spacing out your purchases. 4 in a month is a potential shootout. 1 every 91 days is an avid prepper.

Sent from my SM-G715U using Tapatalk

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Maybe I’m in the minority but I’m glad they do this kind of thing. Straw purchases are real and funnel arms to people who shouldn’t have them. The guys in the video are super nice about it and reasonably explained why they’re there. There’s no threatening or posturing. At the end one of the officers said he didn’t blame the gun purchaser for his apprehension. I believe this is positive police work that can make a community safer.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Maybe later I'll try to track down more details if they are available. Until then I can only speculate.

IF all he did was buy multiple firearms, I am personally unaware of any rights given to the government to come verify those firearms unless they are NFA items.
    That’s what it seems like. More over reach by an agency that shouldn’t exist

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Maybe I’m in the minority but I’m glad they do this kind of thing. Straw purchases are real and funnel arms to people who shouldn’t have them. The guys in the video are super nice about it and reasonably explained why they’re there. There’s no threatening or posturing. At the end one of the officers said he didn’t blame the gun purchaser for his apprehension. I believe this is positive police work that can make a community safer.
    I disagree. If you don’t have evidence of a straw purchase happening or any probable cause than you shouldn’t be at someone’s door questioning them.

Straw purchases could easily be counteracted by having undercover agents frequent stores like academy, bass pro, and cabellas. I’ve witnessed several at my local academy. It’s always easy to spot. Young lady walks up to the gun counter to enquirer about a firearm and in the meantime is walking back and forth to an individual who is hanging out a couple isle’s away. I always inform the associates at the gun counter when I see it happening and they will sometimes take action sometimes not.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I wonder what the difference would be in why the care so much about protecting communities by way of random shakedowns vs something like fast and furious, where they cared so much that they purposely armed criminals cartels.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Two or more revolvers or pistols within a week will trigger a multiple purchase form at your FFL.

Long guns and firearms don't count.

If you want to avoid this, buy from different FFLs, or space out your purchases.

Personally, I don't care, other than it causes me more paperwork that is stupid and has never solved/prevented a single crime.

perilloux5

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Two or more revolvers or pistols within a week will trigger a multiple purchase form at your FFL.

Long guns and firearms don't count.

If you want to avoid this, buy from different FFLs, or space out your purchases.

Personally, I don't care, other than it causes me more paperwork that is stupid and has never solved/prevented a single crime.
    Actually long guns larger than a .22 are reported in several states.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I agree, speaking from experience... Buy more than 2-3 pistols in a month, atf is gonna come a knocking... They were always very nice and simply asked did i buy these "blank" guns? are they actually for me, and can you produce them for me... All questions to which i answered... Now if you refuse to answer thats you, Idk what door that will close and open after that one lol

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    They rolled at least 3 strong (I'd wager someone else was standing somewhere watching from another angle as well) for that "simple check," and had some indication that he was "stopped in Philly" with one of his guns, so they've prepared with a little info, but they're calmly and casually milling around waiting for someone to come to the door with, hopefully, unloaded guns.

Top Bottom