Bedside handgun storage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJB1911

PEW PEW PEW
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    SWLA
    I'm due for my first child in a couple months and as much as I hate to do it, my wife doesn't like firearms at all and will only allow one by the bed if it's locked up some kind of way.

So is the Gun Vault products basically my only option for something somewhat speedy?

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    Wife will only allow??? They make small touchpad handgun safes, you could try that. A couple touches of the finger and it opens.

ChickenWhistle

Thingamajig
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I have a Gun Vault with the five button "finger groove" design. I love it since I can have it open in about 2 seconds.

Of course, I have no idea how I would react if I actually needed to get the gun out in the middle of the night. I hope I never have to find out, but I am tempted to talk my wife into scaring the sh*t out of me one night to see how I would perform. You know, like have her bang pots and pans next to my head, or blow a trumpet or something.

If you're looking for the fastest, I would think a safe with a fingerprint scanner would be the way to go.

yamatitan

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a Gun Vault with the five button "finger groove" design. I love it since I can have it open in about 2 seconds.

Of course, I have no idea how I would react if I actually needed to get the gun out in the middle of the night. I hope I never have to find out, but I am tempted to talk my wife into scaring the sh*t out of me one night to see how I would perform. You know, like have her bang pots and pans next to my head, or blow a trumpet or something.

If you're looking for the fastest, I would think a safe with a fingerprint scanner would be the way to go.

Tell your wife to wear a full armored suit if she tries this. lol

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Google or Amazon or EBay- Gunvault type works well. I might have one left in my closet I got on sale last year. If so, it's yours for the $50 I paid for it (bought one for each my wife and I - but we share one when needed.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I know dealing with a wife is not necessarily dealing on a rational level, but I do want to make one comment. With a newborn it doesn't really matter. But when the child or children can walk, relying on a locking mechanism is a foolish idea.

Locking up guns does not protect children with any more success than trying to physically keep them away from drugs or alcohol. The only effective means of gun safety is education.

I'm not saying that a lock is necessarily a bad thing, but it can lead to a false sense of security. Even if you can successfully keep your guns (and alcohol or drugs) locked away from your children, there are other guns (and alcohol and drugs) that they certainly will have access to eventually.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I know dealing with a wife is not necessarily dealing on a rational level, but I do want to make one comment. With a newborn it doesn't really matter. But when the child or children can walk, relying on a locking mechanism is a foolish idea.

Locking up guns does not protect children with any more success than trying to physically keep them away from drugs or alcohol. The only effective means of gun safety is education.

I'm not saying that a lock is necessarily a bad thing, but it can lead to a false sense of security. Even if you can successfully keep your guns (and alcohol or drugs) locked away from your children, there are other guns (and alcohol and drugs) that they certainly will have access to eventually.

I just went through this with my 7 year old nephew. I took him to the range one time and he loves it (long story there:rolleyes:). He can recite the firearm safety rules and articulate to you why you do each one. Granted, he is a VERY bright child for his age.

I will honestly say I have absolutely no reservations whatsoever about leaving any gun i own loaded and on the table in front of him and walking away. Now, would I actually do it, no. But I know he knows he is not to touch them and he understands why. He is educate--not curious or scared. It is a thing between him and I to make sure he knows the safety rules and about not touching guns unless I am with him. He is proud to tell them to me and show me he knows them. it is a way for him to show me he is a "big boy".

With me being gone, my wife still has her G19 in her nightstand. When I was home, she would put hers on top of the closet, because I always had a gun or two on me. I did not want her doing that while they were sleeping alone in the house.

So, before I left, I unloaded it, "suspended" the safety rules and told him if he could pull the slide back, I would take him to Toys-R-Us and he could get anything he wanted, and on the way back, we would stop for a snowball.

Well, he could not move the slide even a 1/4".

So, while I'm away, when he is over, and ONLY when he is over, the G19 gets downloaded to magazine inserted and no round in the chamber. This allows her to have the gun available and there is no way he can physically fire the weapon.

CAVEAT!!!!! This is the only time that a gun used for defense IMO should not have a round loaded in the chamber.

Most importantly, we went to the range several times and drilled immediate action to make sure she knew when she pulled that trigger, if it did not go bang, what to do. We practiced to the point that I was comfortable with her ability to do it. ;)

Furthermore, this technique works RIGHT NOW, for THAT CHILD, in MY HOUSE. Each parent or adult has to figure out what will work for them based on the demeanor, age, size, and overall maturity of the child. I can remember growing up, that everyday, my dad's wallet, keys, pocket knife, and gun went on top of the refrigerator. I was never told, but it was common knowledge wether it was a gun or a roll of lifesavers--you don't F with Dad's ****! A lot has to do with how you run your household and the level of discipline that the children have grown accustomed to which will define how far they are willing to push the limits.

I am a firm believer that if you make firearms a part of a child's life, it removes the curiosity. A knife is just as dangerous as a firearm, but children are acclimatized to them through seeing adults and eventually themselves use them to eat. It is just a tool to them that has a utilitarian purpose. They know not to stick it in there eye, and even the most hard cased droolers and window kickers generally know not to stick it in a light socket.

Make firearms a part of your family's lifestyle and take due diligence and common sense in safety, and you should be OK.

Last edited:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA

^^^THIS!^^^ +1

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    So, while I'm away, when he is over, and ONLY when he is over, the G19 gets downloaded to magazine inserted and no round in the chamber. This allows her to have the gun available and there is no way he can physically fire the weapon.

This is the same thing I do when my niece comes to visit. She is only 6 but she knows she is only to go in my room with an adult with her, and that she is not to touch any of the guns. She is alright with that, she has not showed any interest in them and if/when she does I will happily take her and her dad to the range to shoot.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    My son is almost 3 and knows what a gun is. Of course they are all totally off limits and locked away,but the curiosity is pretty much gone. He doesn't even look twice when I'm cleaning my guns. He won't touch any guns probably till he's almost 8 and with the utmost supervision and get locked away after use. He'll get his first .22 rifle at 10 which will share room in my safe and only come out when I'm there.

Gun Vault with the bio-metric finger pads is a must have.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My son is almost 3 and knows what a gun is. Of course they are all totally off limits and locked away,but the curiosity is pretty much gone. He doesn't even look twice when I'm cleaning my guns. He won't touch any guns probably till he's almost 8 and with the utmost supervision and get locked away after use. He'll get his first .22 rifle at 10 which will share room in my safe and only come out when I'm there.

Gun Vault with the bio-metric finger pads is a must have.

That is another thing i do. I bought him a Red Ryder BB Gun for his birthday, and it stays in my safe with my guns, and it gets the same safety and respect as my guns. Again, it gives him a sense of pride that he has a "big boy" gun that stays in Uncle Brannon's safe. It helps him view the gun as a gun and not a toy.

Top Bottom