Beginner and Advanced RIFLE Reloading Clinic Interest

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    UPDATE- 1/3This is for Rifle Reloading-

I have been talking to Lanny Russell (Xmeister) about putting together a Beginner and Advanced Reloading clinic. It would tentatively be held sometime in January at Palo Alto.
    Anyone who attended the Basic 600 or Wind Reading Clinic can vouch for Lanny's expertise at shooting. These reloading clinics would be just as informative.
    Cost would be $15/per class for Non-Palo Alto members and $10/class for members.
    Post up if you have any interest in either attending either clinic and if we get enough interest, we'll see about setting something up.

Rick

Update: We will set these up as two different clinics. Probably hold the Advanced Class in the morning and the Beginner after that. This way a Beginner would not get confused by trying to take the basics they just learned and immediately jump into Advanced. As a reloader myself, I can attest that getting the basics down is the foundation to having good results. If we have a good bit of interest in the Beginner class, we would set up another Advanced later on after folks have had time to get up to speed on the basics.
    As you post up interest, please specify which clinic you would like to attend.

Criteria-
    Beginner Class-
    New to reloading or reloading less than a year.

Advanced-
    Reloading more than a year or more than six months if reloading and competively shooting on a regular basis.

Update on the classes:

1- To accommodate those hunters who want to get that last deer or two, we will move the clinics to the middle of February.

2- For those pistol shooters who compete on Sunday but want to learn more about rifle reloading, we will also hold the clinics on Saturday, so you can make it.

Dates and times to be scheduled soon.

We have settled on a date of Saturday February 12th. I will post the clinic times in the next week.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    I would certainly be interested it were the right class
    I don’t think the ‘beginner and advanced’ is a good beginning

Most people will be interested in taking a class that is tailored to what they're reloading
    Classes need to be to be specific

Say for example if you had a;

1) Pistol caliber reloading class
    The people attending don’t have to cover issues concerning rifle casings and accuracy

2) AR reloading
    I reload pistol and bolt-gun ammo with no problems but have a really tough time getting AR ammo to chamber properly

3) Rifle accuracy
    This type of reloading is completely different from pistol and AR reloading with a completely different objective.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA

Most people will be interested in taking a class that is tailored to what they're reloading

The people attending don’t have to cover issues concerning rifle casings and accuracy

2) AR reloading
    I reload pistol and bolt-gun ammo with no problems but have a really tough time getting AR ammo to chamber properly

3) Rifle accuracy
    This type of reloading is completely different from pistol and AR reloading with a completely different objective.

I have updated info on the clinics to show they are two different clinics held at different times.
    I load for all three and competively shoot #2 and #3 of the above and based on my experience with Lanny, the beginning would be applicable to all three. As for #2, sounds like a cartridge shoulder issue.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington

2) AR reloading

3) Rifle accuracy

That is odd. My AR reloading is exactly the same as my other rifle reloading except in higher volume. I agree with Chaser that you are not sizing your brass properly. Are you crimping the bullets? If you are and you have any cases that are not trimmed to the proper length, it will cause the case to begin to buckle just behind the shoulder/body junction. This makes the case wider at the shoulder and will interfere with it fully chambering. Other than that, the only thing that I would suggest is to use a small base sizing die. Your chamber may be a bit tight and the small base die will size the brass a bit more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom