burn help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Last edited:

bigjakewelch

Mill Spec
    Rating - 98%
    50   1   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Been a welder for 17 years. Burns are a thing that you just get in my line of business. No matter what you do they are going to hurt. That's God's way of letting you know not to do that again. The only thing that you have to make sore that you do is keep it clean. If you get an infection in a bad burn you will regret ever breathing! You should try to keep it dry, unless you are putting Rx topicals on it. Every one that has said " Silvadine" is right on spot! Just get ready for a shock when you fill the Rx because it is not cheap. Always remember the one rule when dealing with materials above 500 degrees, " If it's not going to kill any small children then LET IT GO! You can always make another one"

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Silvadine....Very expensive though....

Honestly, any burn 2nd degree or greater, esp. on the hand, needs to be looked at by a doctor...

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Not silver nitrate, silverdyne is a silvery cream. Silver nitrate will stain dark brown and takes two weeks to wear off

Also, everyone should keep colloidal silver on hand. Pun intended. Actually, you should take a few drops under your tongue, hold for 30 seconds then swallow.

Colloidal Metals are anti-microbial.

thats the word name i was looking for. colloidial silver silvadene is the brand name either way good stuff.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Cat, all you are going to get here are anecdotes.

A while back, I burned my forearm on an oven rack. An aloe plant was nearby, so I slathered it on. Not only was there immediate relief from the pain, there was no blistering or scarring.

In the workplace a second degree burn requires medical attention, not necessarily a physician, more often the nurse.

One of the first things they teach you in college chemistry lab is some fundamental glass blowing, which is a lot of fun. One of the first things you learn is that glass can be hot enough to burn w/o glowing.

Someone suggested having a burn kit. I second that. Then again exercise good kiln discipline.
    :eh:

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Look into Silvasorb gel in 1.5oz tubes.
    06_i_001_00_a8_c9a8_1.JPG

silvasorb-gel-front.jpg

The gray box is OTC and the blue is Rx.

Medsafe product #8327-0309-09 for the OTC.
    877-854-2178 Medsafe-Gonzales

Hope it heals fast.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I was involved in accute stupidity several years ago that resulted in a rather spectacular explosion and ensuing fire. Second and third degree burns to face, hands, right arm and left leg. Silvadine is your friend - sooner the better. I also had a burn-knowledgeable physical therapist which shaved months off of my healing time. Ended up removing about 20 years of ugly but I don't recommend a "gasoline chemical peel" for wrinkle removal.
    Seriously, a GOOD PT might help in gaining full mobility of the hand.

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Another yay for Silvadene (Silver Sulfadiazine). Worked well when I had 2nd or 3rd degree burns due to a motorcycle accident as a kid.

22doberman22

choot'em
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    Prairieville
    Not silver nitrate, silverdyne is a silvery cream. Silver nitrate will stain dark brown and takes two weeks to wear off

I second the silverdyne it's what you wan to go with. I acciedently poored flamming hot grease on my hand and the skin looked like candle wax sluffing off my fingers and hand ( third degree burns). I apply siverdyne about three times a day then covered it with gaws. The nurse I had to report to once a week would scrape the wound clear of any puss...that would make a grown man cry. So if you have to go to the Dr. take your time and scrape it off yourself, because when they get a hold to it they can care less how you feel. Another thing they make you do is make a fist and straighten out your hand repeatedly so the skin will stretch, this prevents scaring.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Look into Silvasorb gel in 1.5oz tubes.
    06_i_001_00_a8_c9a8_1.JPG

silvasorb-gel-front.jpg

The gray box is OTC and the blue is Rx.

Medsafe product #8327-0309-09 for the OTC.
    877-854-2178 Medsafe-Gonzales

Hope it heals fast.

PERFECT! Thank you. It's a little second degree burn, hurt a hell of a lot worse than it looks. This morning I woke up eight hours after the burn and it was still tingling with that "asleep" pins and needles sensation. I don't have a current general practitioner because I don't go very often. My routine physicals and lab work is run through the GYN' office yearly. Who in the hell needs two physicals a year? Anyway my last "current" GP dropped me because he hadn't seen me in 12 months. A search for a new GP turned up zilch for an afternoon appointment. Within an hour I was peeved and said screw it, made a new patient appointment for the end of the month, decided if my fingers still tingle tomorrow to break down and see one of those drug seeking yucky walk-in clinics with some crack head sitting next to me. I'll just make a point of talking to this new GP (and hope she doesn't drop me if I don't come in annually) about my risky hobby. But this OTC silva looks to work the trick in the interim if I have another incident before then. If it was much worse than it was last night, I'd be hitting up the ER.

The problem is glass can be "shocky". It'll splinter and fracture off in the air. Some batches are discontinued and rechemistried (is that even a word?) because of flying glass. My eyes are always, always, always protected, it requires really too much fine motor skills to wear heavy gloves. The best I can do is long sleeves but my hands and neck/face are still exposed. I love my glass work, but I picked one hell of a risky hobby. Several seasoned lampworkers have told me that their first burn happened when they lost the glass off the mandrel. It got so hot it was liquid, and without thinking they slapped their thighs closed to catch the glass. I think I'd rather screw up by grabbing a mandrel in a panic as my big newbie mistake. :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Having an aloe vera plant nearby for those less serious burns is a great idea. We have one just outside the kitchen door. I think it will grow from a cutting, btw.

srscott

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    SWLA
    Ditto on the silversorb gel. I've been burned plenty enough.. from knocking a 10 gal boiling pot and burner over on to my leg (crawfish), to having been hit in the forehead and leg with molten aluminum. the stuff works. When you are done healing I'd like to see some pics of the things you make.
    Laffy has (or used to have) a show at the university called "Pyromania" that showcased all the art forms that use high heat as part of the creation process, glass blowing, metal casting, forging, pottery, etc. was pretty neat.

Sesameball

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2011
    Plaquemine
    Silvadene (Silver sulfadiazine) works very well, and I have used it to great effect with pretty horrific burns (skin falling off of one hand; holding my hand in a bowl of ice water was the only way I could sleep). An MD (or DVM) would prescribe it, no problem, and you usually get a fairly large tub (I have been using the one for *years* now). Although the Silvadene preparation requires a prescription, the active ingredient (apparently) is OTC.

The good thing is that your reflexes are fast! You probably did not hold onto the object for very long. I have had lapses of judgement while blowing lab-glass, and been burnt...smells a bit, white mark, but superficial--because it was fast. I once grabbed a stainless block-heater that was at 300°C (572°F)...I immediately dropped it, had two smooth spots (fingerprint melted off) where the contact had been made, but it healed nicely without intervention. The fact that it hurts is GOOD! The nerves are probably intact, and the burn was likely not 3rd degree. 3rd degree burns are marked by eschar (actual burning of the flesh) through all layers of skin.

See your physician or vet, keep it clean (I like to use a mixture of Neosporin and Silvadene), and beware of infection. If your burn is anything like mine, it probably won't blister (mine didn't even scab, it just got hard like leather then eventually fell off).

Be careful, be well,
    Ses

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Go to the welding store. Try on some tig welding gloves and see if you can use them. I use them for all kinds of things where reg. gloves are too thick.

Glad your better.

GClifton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Chenal, La.
    I had some pretty bad burns on my lower legs back in the 90's. The fun part is when you are submerged in a tank of iodine water for about thirty minutes and then have the burned skin scraped off. You heal from the inside out. I was drinking Old Charter and taking pain pills before each session. Nothing by mouth would relieve the pain. If I ever have burns over 50 % of my body, I hope someone will shoot me in the head. I will take my chances on the other side. LOL ----------------- Oh yea, the white cream did feel good and the shots of demerol, but that was just the beginning of the fun .

Last edited:
    Top Bottom