Car Emergency Kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bulldawg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    New Roads
    So, I am the happy owner of a new car. I am in the process of putting together an Emergency Kit to keep in the trunk in case of breakdown (as happened a few times on my last vehicle). There is not a ton of room, so I'd like to keep it as compact as possible, but here's my list so far...

Note: The car already came with a spare tire, tire changing tools and fix a flat.

1. Jumper Cables
    2. Tow Ropes
    3. First Aid Kit
    4. 2-3 Cyalume SnapLight Ultra-High Intensity Flare Alternative
    5. LED Flashlight
    6. Multi-tool
    7. Tire Pressure Gauge
    8. Little bit of Paracord
    9. Emergency Blanket
    10. Poncho
    11. A Few Zip Ties
    12. Hand Crank Phone Charger/Flashlight (It's very small and very cool!)

I fit all this except the jumper cables into a small zipper bag about 2x the size of a Kleenex box. This is NOT an "End of the World - arm my car to the teeth and be able to live in the woods where I break down for the next year" bag, it's only purpose is for roadside emergencies.

With that said, and very little room left, what one item would you add that I forgot?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Duct tape!

Also, I rarely have cash on me so I tuck at least a $20 bill in all my emergency bags just in case. You may need it for a tow truck, to bum a ride, etc.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    quick food (granola bar or MRE) never know how long you might have to wait on somebody to show up, I also usually keep individual bottles of water in the back compartment of the front seats. They came in handy a couple of times already

Butrbal

Rok Out Whit Ya Glock Out
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Prairieville
    An ABC fire extinguisher. I have used three of them in the past 5-6 years putting out other peoples car fires. Used the most recent one on Saturday afternoon at the Prairieville Domino's near Hebert Guns to put out an under hood fire on a guys truck.

A fire extinguisher is a must. Hopefully you never need to use it on your own car but at least you can help out someone else.

Pocket

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Sewanee, TN
    An ABC fire extinguisher. I have used three of them in the past 5-6 years putting out other peoples car fires. Used the most recent one on Saturday afternoon at the Prairieville Domino's near Hebert Guns to put out an under hood fire on a guys truck.

A fire extinguisher is a must. Hopefully you never need to use it on your own car but at least you can help out someone else.

Thanks for the assist!
    Prairieville Fire Dept

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    i have a can of that fix a flat stuff in my jeep with a small air compressor tucked under my back seat. no clue if that crap actually works as advertised but i figured it couldnt hurt

This. Along with the things you listed, I also keep TP, a towel, $100 cash, a knife, multi-tool, fix a flat, lil fire extinguisher and duct tape.

Bulldawg

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    New Roads
    All great ideas! I will add duct tape, wipes and a little extra cash. Most of my flashlights are already headlamps haha (backpacking habit).

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My list

Small first aid kit
    QUALITY jumper cables, not the harbor freight $5 special, spend some money on a nice set.
    12v air compressor
    16" flex head 1/2" ratchet and thinwall deep socket for lugnuts
    hydraulic bottle jack for trucks, floor jack for cars. scissor jacks suck
    tire plug kit
    4 extra lug nuts
    heavy duty zipties
    LED flashlight
    flathead and phillips screwdrivers, size #2
    side cutters
    mechanics gloves
    baby wipes
    pocket poncho
    I used to carry a tyvek suit too, mainly to stay clean if I was having to work on the car, but it's so damn hot the sweat would be worse than the dirt anyway.

A roadside assistance plan is so cheap these days, I don't bother carrying anything more than very basic tools. Most of my cars are under warranty too, thankfully. The most complex thing I plan to mess with on the side of the road is a flat, nothing else, unless something hits the car and does some minor damage than can be repaired with zipties long enough to get home.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Basic tool kit, multi-pliers, head lamp, duct tape, toilet paper, a gallon of drinking water, and a jar of peanut butter with a few plastic spoons. I also keep a blanket in there in the winter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom