Carrying at a post office - is it legal?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I know, I know...

But... ;)

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/718/usc_sec_18_00000930----000-.html

(a)Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to— (1) the lawful performance of official duties by an officer, agent, or employee of the United States, a State, or a political subdivision thereof, who is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law;
    (2) the possession of a firearm or other dangerous weapon by a Federal official or a member of the Armed Forces if such possession is authorized by law; or
    (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    No. Period. This has been beat to death several times on several forums.

chaingun.gif
    beat_deadhorse.gif
    beatdeadhorse.gif

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Could have sworn at least one of the threads was here but I can't find it using the search. NOLACOp was heavily involved in the discussions. Either way, it has heen hashed to death on THR, TFL, and, I believe, on OCDO and possibly gun rights media as well.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    It's only the 'Quick Search' that's screwy.

Just go Advanced Search>Keywords> to the right drop down box use "search titles only"

That's what I use when searching the forums now, works like a charm.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I did the advance search but searched the body, not the titles. My bad.

Sorry if I came off more gruffly than I intended to. It is just that I watched SEVERAL of these discussions get hashed, rehashed and the outcome was always the same. Sane people determined that it was illegal enough that it would be foolish to try it as you will lose if history is any indication and to fight it would be VERY expensive, and against odds that no sane person would bet against even given those same passages that get drug up and re-hashed over every time this comes up.

MOST of us feel it is a stupid law and makes no real sense but it is right up there with guns on Federal property in terms of fighting to overturn it.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    There is a court case in Colorado going on with a man and his wife sueing the PO. They live where there is no home delivery so they have to pick up at the PO. They want the PO to recognize thier right to carry to and from and at the PO.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    There is a court case in Colorado going on with a man and his wife sueing the PO. They live where there is no home delivery so they have to pick up at the PO. They want the PO to recognize thier right to carry to and from and at the PO.

Now this will be interesting! It is time for law to determine the reach of the feds.

Again, none of them, judges, postal workers, legislators, etc., deserve more protection than me or my family members.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Excellent! I hope they win and set a precedent to help get this and all the other anti-Constitutional laws repealed.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    For anyone insterested in reading the details about the lawusit agaoins the PO by the couple from Colorado just go to-
    http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2010/10/challenge-to-ban-on-firearms-on-postal.html
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010
    Challenge to Ban on Firearms on Postal Service Property
    Attorney Jim Manley and the Mountain States Legal Foundation are taking on the US Postal Service's ban on any firearm on USPS property. The challenge is on behalf of Debbie and Tab Bonidy of Avon, Colorado and the National Association for Gun Rights. A lawsuit, Bonidy et al v. USPS et al, was filed Monday in U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado.

The Bonidys live in a rural area of Colorado that doesn't have home mail delivery. Because of that, the local post office in Avon, Colorado provides the residents of the area with a post office box at no charge. While they both have Colorado concealed carry permits and regularly carry, the Bonidys cannot carry concealed or openly when picking up their mail. They even can't leave their firearms locked in their car as this would violate 39 C.F.R. § 232.1(l).
    there's plenty more at the link and is worth reading. They have my full support as thier federal case may cause some long overdue changes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jonah95
    Top Bottom