CCW Duty to Notify -CHP vs. Constitutional Carry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Your first sentence describes exactly what I assumed you wrote. I took no offense to your post at all, and the only husband I referred to was mine. Now my second reply to you must've gone wrong, because it was just a joke. You have science fiction club meetings???? Dude, that's so cool. I've been reading sci fi since I was in the 4th grade. Love it! Now excuse me while I go back and read what the hell I wrote about my husband that led you to believe all that, because I didn't mean to insinuate any of it.
    Ok, the accidental attributing of your response to myself resulted in a situation comedy style misunderstanding. It turns out that the member you dealt with believed your husband was the member he was dealing with, and therefore accidentally referred to you as a "nice guy."
    Thank you for the clarification.
    I mostly read science fiction novels during grade school and while on active duty. These days, I mainly watch the movies and shows while my Sister and Wife both continue to read the books. I go to the shooting range more than the rest of my family. My Wife doesn't read about firearms, she just asks me!

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La

My monkey is cooler and he don't disarm for nobody
    9d58468935530a46b7ccf058cf6d1f99.jpg

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Can we do polls here? Someone should set one up so we can see what the majority think.
    Ya know, anything related to law enforcement will just divide us into three groups though. You’ll be herded into one of 3 chutes.
    Cops
    Boot lickers
    Cop haters
    Just because a man questions authority doesn’t mean he’s anti authority. Much can be learned on both sides of the fence and there is room for all to improve. If you think cops are perfect or beyond reproach, maybe join us in the real world one day. If you think the job is easy and you could do better, go for it. I’m sure they need new recruits. As far as how good law abiding folks respond to being handled by persons in authority, as long as it’s within the limits of the law, who are any of us to question?

Lot of questions answered in this thread, helpful or not.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ya know, anything related to law enforcement will just divide us into three groups though. You’ll be herded into one of 3 chutes.
    Cops
    Boot lickers
    Cop haters
    Just because a man questions authority doesn’t mean he’s anti authority. Much can be learned on both sides of the fence and there is room for all to improve. If you think cops are perfect or beyond reproach, maybe join us in the real world one day. If you think the job is easy and you could do better, go for it. I’m sure they need new recruits. As far as how good law abiding folks respond to being handled by persons in authority, as long as it’s within the limits of the law, who are any of us to question?

Lot of questions answered in this thread, helpful or not.

Cops are not perfect. There are bad people in all walks of life. Police are no exception. I've said that before and I'll continue to say it. I don't think you'll find many cops that will say that every cop is a great cop. If you do, he's probably in that not so good group. The issue comes in when looking at how many cops are in that group. Some people believe it's a large percentage. Some people believe it's a small percentage. That belief usually comes down to the experience a person has with cops. For a civilian, that experience is limited so a bad cop would represent a larger percentage. For a cop who deals with multiple cops every day and could easily deal with a large number of cops from different jurisdictions, the number of bad cops is a much much smaller percentage. That being said, I have dealt with some ******* cops, even one or two when I've been on the receiving end of a traffic stop.

It's fine to question authority in the right context. And by right context I mean protesting a law that your representatives passed when it's 1am and you just got pulled over might not be the best time. You can dismiss that as a "I'm just doing my job" thing but doing so is just making excuses to not have to listen to ideas you might not like. This forum is a great place to have the discussion. Part of questioning authority should be listening to the answers. You may not like the answers but if they reasonably address your question, they should be considered, even if you don't like the answer. (I'm using 'you' generically, not addressing this to you specifically.)

Like you, I encourage anyone who feels they know a better way of doing things to fix it from the inside. Most departments are shorthanded. Most municipalities use a statewide municipality civil service test score. Some have their own testing process. And state agencies use a different test.

Personally, I understand all of the arguments against disarming the driver. I simply don't feel the arguments about it being less safe are valid as far as safety. I think the arguments are valid only for why they don't like it. But that goes back to the first paragraph and experience from both sides.

If someone feels that 100% of traffic stops are safer for everyone if the driver stays armed, there no discussion to be had. But if someone believes there are situation where it is safer if the driver is disarmed, I would request they provide an exhaustive list that encompasses only those situation that the cops can use as a guideline.

And lastly, Just because a man questions authority doesn’t mean he’s not anti authority.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Since this thread is about interactions with LE I have to ask.
    It is been years since I have seen one but does State and local still do DUI ,checks?
    Used to be thet would set up and stop cars. Point was to check of drunks were out and about,. But quicky check, inspection sticker, expired tags, licence, insurance.
    But have not seen one in years, but also manpower shortages and funds as,well may have killed that. So figured I would ask.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Since this thread is about interactions with LE I have to ask.
    It is been years since I have seen one but does State and local still do DUI ,checks?
    Used to be thet would set up and stop cars. Point was to check of drunks were out and about,. But quicky check, inspection sticker, expired tags, licence, insurance.
    But have not seen one in years, but also manpower shortages and funds as,well may have killed that. So figured I would ask.
    yup did one at port vincent by Bo's prop shop a few months ago

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The last time I got stopped at a DUI check point, it was for the movie "Renfield" where the comedian Awkwafina plays an NOPD officer who gets stuck working DUI because she is considered to be a loose cannon by rank
    This fake DUI checkpoint took 3 days to film overnight. I was one of the drivers, which is just one of the things I did in the film over a period of 6 months. The only part of the movie I am actually seen was as the "Drunk Tourist at Lucky Dog Cart"(as the casting call said.) I am wearing a blue shirt. I ate a total of 3 Lucky Dogs since the production was paying for it.
    IMG_20230418_162748038.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    The last time I got stopped at a DUI check point, it was for the movie "Renfield" where the comedian Awkwafina plays an NOPD officer who gets stuck working DUI because she is considered to be a loose cannon by rank
    This fake DUI checkpoint took 3 days to film overnight. I was one of the drivers, which is just one of the things I did in the film over a period of 6 months. The only part of the movie I am actually seen was as the "Drunk Tourist at Lucky Dog Cart"(as the casting call said.) I am wearing a blue shirt. I ate a total of 3 Lucky Dogs since the production was paying for it.
    View attachment 164513
    You sure it was only 3?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    View attachment 164513

I worked with Hollywood 399 for a few shows, but BR Teamsters said they "do not and will never" have work or an opportunity for me and I'm apparently the wrong demographic to be in NOLA teamsters. lol

Working on shows is fine, neat, there's just no way I will live in LA.

hbaublit

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Lafayette LA
    Just to clarify, everyone is talking about duty to notify for concealed carry versus the “choice” of whether to notify of a firearm in the vehicle only. There was also a bill, not sure of status, to provide some legal immunity to CHP holders versus constitutional carry. That would make it worth it depending on final working of the law, if passed.
    Senate Bill 2
    Immunity to Civil Liability
    •2-29-2024
    •In a special session on crime Senate Bill 2 was proposed and passed with
    •74 Yeas
    •30 Nays
    •The bill also goes into affect on 7-4-2024 Independence Day

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    1716435137065.png

1716435156191.png

It just seems that knowing that there's a firearm inside a car, and having the driver step out without the firearm, everything is just as safe. This is assuming there is no other occupant in the vehicle.

Now if the situation had more/other variables, I could understand removing/clearing the firearm in addition to having the occupant step out.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just making an observation.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It just seems that knowing that there's a firearm inside a car, and having the driver step out without the firearm, everything is just as safe. This is assuming there is no other occupant in the vehicle.

Now if the situation had more/other variables, I could understand removing/clearing the firearm in addition to having the occupant step out.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just making an observation.

I provided a simplified version of event to show different reactions to different situations. Each situation presented had a whole heap of variables that were not presented. Based on the extremely limited information I presented, I could add on variables in such a way that makes each of my decisions the wrong decision. Or I could make each decision right. There's just not enough provided information to make that determination unless you simply want an specific outcome and you fill in the variables in a way favorable to that outcome.

I presented a few scenarios and you asked only about the one where the weapon was cleared and held during the traffic stop. I'm going to invent some variables for this. Please tell me if the situation is reasonable and believable. I see a car run a stop sign, only slowing slightly for the stop sign. I get behind it and run the plate. The registration is expired and there is no current insurance info popping up. The owner has two traffic attachments. I stop the car and approach the driver and ask for the usual. ("Papers please.") The driver is not the owner. He tells me some guy owed him some money and let him use the car. He tells me there is a weapon in the center console. I now must return to my car so I can run the driver's name.

I made up that scenario. However, plenty of real live situations are not that far off. Would the above scenario favor removing the firearm or leaving it in the car with the guy standing outside the car?

Johnny_B

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2024
    North Louisiana
    I know I'm about to catch hell for this. Especially since I'm a new member and should probably "keep my head down" so to speak... but... I'm worried this Constitutional carry law is going to produce some rare instances of unfortunate consequences in some cases. Before I'm crucified, hear me out. I'm about as 2A as they come. I've carried a handgun in my vehicle from the time I was 19 and I wont elaborate as to how much I've carried on my person without any permit whatsoever, ALLEGEDLY. I've never pulled a gun on anyone, fired off a 'pop-shot', or made it known to anyone in my company that I was carrying or much less bragged about it boastfully. But I worry... I worry that some kid that wants to look like a tough-guy, that would normaly have been way too scared to carry a gun due to his fear of being caught and locked up now knows he can throw one in his waistband without fear of legal consequence. And then one night that kid is gonna be hanging out with his buddies, maybe at some party. He's gonna have a lot of drinks, maybe a little smoke, and who knows what else these days. Then some other wanna-be tough guy at that party is gonna say something stupid. And after it's all said and done the end result is gonna be a young man or woman dead on the ground over nothing. Now I understand that it was his or actions that put them there, and I hear ya on the whole "well that's what happens when you live that kinda life. Let them take each other out!". And like I said I've carried, without fail, daily for many, many years. I believe that you and your family's survival is a BIRTH-RIGHT, not an American one. Every creature on this earth has a right to fight for it's life and does not need permission to do so. I'm just curious as to what others think on the consequence of the new law. Do yall maybe think that it will be a very limited amount of instances that this happens and that it is an acceptable price to pay for the the community as a whole to be safer? Or maybe not happen at all? Thank you and please... be gentle. Lol.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    You sure it was only 3?
    That was 2 years ago before I lost some weight. To be totally honest, they wanted a fat guy for that part. That's the fifth time I ended up being featured in a fat guy role.
    Back in the Marines, I was 170lbs and ended up as much as 350lbs years later. I'm 280lbs now and continuing to lose more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom