CCW question - if gun seen in public

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brewer3401

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    I read in 1 "article" that if someone sees you are carrying and they call the police, you would be arrested.

Does not make a lot of sense.

Anyone have any feedback on this ?

Thanks

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Louisiana has both concealed carry and open carry so if the gun is seen someone may panic and call the police but as long as you have a concealed carry permit you will not be arrested. Some states do not have open carry and the gun must be concealed at all times. Texas is such a state. Would you be arrested, I don't know all Texas laws but probably not arrested but possibly issued a citation.

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    Concealed Carry

Concealed in this state means just that, concealed. If your weapon is visable, technically you are in violation of the conceal carry rules. Will you get arrested? If you have a valid concealed carry permit, not likely if it was an accidental exposure, ie.......you jacket flaps open and someone sees the gun and panics. However if you are brandishing the firearem, ie......passing it around to you buddies for a look see, in a parking lot or other public place or taking your jacket off...........then you are in the limbo land of concealed carry versus open carry.........if you have a valid concealed carry permit, then you probably shouldn't practice open carry......you stand to loose your permit, you worked so hard to get. However waiting for the test case on that one.
    From experiance you have to be pretty blatant for someone to ever notice you are carrying,,,,,,,,,,if you do it right......most people are oblivious.....a cop may notice an imprint and ask to see your permit and if you have one no problem. If you carry concealed and don't have said permit.....and cop finds out, you may have an issue then. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You wouldn't be arrested if you weren't doing anything else wrong. You might get a visit from the police and they might want to search you and ask you a bunch of intimidating questions but if you play it cool you should be OK. Some people will say you should never have an excuse for your gun to been seen in public but sh*t happens. I was once walking my dog and he saw a squirrel and freaked out, tripping me up in his leash. I hit the ground hard and my gun went flying out of my Milt Sparks VMII IWB holster and skidded across the grass right in front of a bunch of people. I calmly picked up my gun, holstered it, and continued on with my business.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    You wouldn't be arrested if you weren't doing anything else wrong. You might get a visit from the police and they might want to search you and ask you a bunch of intimidating questions but if you play it cool you should be OK. Some people will say you should never have an excuse for your gun to been seen in public but sh*t happens. I was once walking my dog and he saw a squirrel and freaked out, tripping me up in his leash. I hit the ground hard and my gun went flying out of my Milt Sparks VMII IWB holster and skidded across the grass right in front of a bunch of people. I calmly picked up my gun, holstered it, and continued on with my business.

You dropped an M8, Scoundrel!

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    So why can't you OC if you have a CHP?

You most certainly can. I don't know where the above poster got his information from but it is most certainly wrong.

There is nothing in Louisiana law that prohibits anyone with a concealed handgun permit from open carrying.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    You most certainly can. I don't know where the above poster got his information from but it is most certainly wrong.

There is nothing in Louisiana law that prohibits anyone with a concealed handgun permit from open carrying.

I know that, I wanted an explanation from the poster.

DS727

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Remember this guy?

BadgeGun.jpg

He didn't get the memo.

One more thing. If you ARE going to open carry like the individual above (and I see this all the time), for Pete's sake, spend a few bucks and
    buy a decent holster. And by decent, I don't mean a SERPA. Something nice, preferably leather.

Seems like every die hard OC'er has to have the cheapest POS nylon holster the pawn shop had in stock.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Yes you can OC if you have a CHP, no you cannot CC without a HP.

And why does a nice OC have to be leather? Kydex provides a better fit and a hard surface to rack the back sight on should you need to work malfunctions single handed.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    And why does a nice OC have to be leather? Kydex provides a better fit and a hard surface to rack the back sight on should you need to work malfunctions single handed.
    Some would argue that leather provides better retention than kydex.

and you can rack a slide on a pocket, shoe, belt, etc etc.

i'm not biased one way or the other but either get the job done.

Top Bottom