CCW question - if gun seen in public

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    South LA
    I have been wearing a leather holster for six years in South Louisiana and have not had those problems at all.

I've had it on some of my knives that had leather holsters; that knife did get a little dirty and was filled with sand for about three years. Could not get all of it out.

M-66supersingle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    When we say "retention" we don't just mean that the pistol is secure from falling out. We are more worried about someone snatching it from you. An Uncle Mike's button snap can easily be overcome by someone going for your gun. The Blackhawk holsters are better but they have their own problems and since they are so popular pretty much everyone knows to push the button to remove the gun. What's much better are the retention holsters that require pushing hidden buttons and/or require pulling the gun out in a very specific direction. I don't open carry so I don't know much about what brands are good but I am sure there is someone here that can help.
    Yes, I understand what all that entails, but it seems to me all retention systems are relatively easy to overcome and really the only retention system is yourself. Every retention system seems to have a sizeable trade off. My main concern with those holsters that require I special direction of pull or hidden button is that it is too easy to screw up and fail to draw, but I guess that's really just a training issue.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    How much clearer does it need to be? Read the law for yourself. No where does it mention these two things being exclusive of one another.

+100 Roger that. This comes up every once in a while. Don't know where people get that crap from.

Hey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    South LA
    Yes you can OC if you have a CHP, no you cannot CC without a HP.

And why does a nice OC have to be leather? Kydex provides a better fit and a hard surface to rack the back sight on should you need to work malfunctions single handed.

Is a CHP required for open carry? No. The current laws do not state this at all. Good point on the kydex.
    Not bashing you sir.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Is a CHP required for open carry? No. The current laws do not state this at all. Good point on the kydex.
    Not bashing you sir.

When did I say you needed a CHP to be able to OC?

Anybody over 18 with a clear record can OC and film a video if they wish

I said if you have a CHP you still have the privilege to OC since that "right" is given to anybody by the STate. Unlike a CHP that requires limited training, fees and to be 21 ears of age as minimum.

Maybe my wording confused you but I never implied what you said.

Last edited:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Remember this guy?

BadgeGun.jpg

He didn't get the memo.

One more thing. If you ARE going to open carry like the individual above (and I see this all the time), for Pete's sake, spend a few bucks and
    buy a decent holster. And by decent, I don't mean a SERPA. Something nice, preferably leather.

Seems like every die hard OC'er has to have the cheapest POS nylon holster the pawn shop had in stock.

Getting new, good looking gunleather is one of the biggest things that can tempt me to carry openly.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I suspect a lot of the rust with a leather holster issue comes from blued guns and Mexican made holsters or holsters made with Mexican leather. The tanneries in Mexico are notorious for using chromium to speed up the vegetable tanning process. The chromium leaves salts in the leather that promotes rust, and a good bluing looks good, but is not nearly as durable as modern gun finishes.

I haven't had any issues with having 3 carry guns in a leather holster pretty much 100% of the time the past year, but I wouldn't recommend a customer keep their gun in leather all the time. Also, where do you guys get leather that cracks, it shouldn't be cracking. If the maker dips it in acrylic, something I don't do, but a lot do, it might be the coating cracking. I hand wax and use a horse hair brush as my finish. Looks more natural, but you can't get that eye popping shiny holster picture of a freshly dipped acrylic holster, but a year, two years down the line I can tell you which one will look better.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    One of my NM Holsters cracked after 2 years of use, back when I was blind folded into believing a 1911 was a good defensive tool he was my company of choice for leather holsters.

I have used the one that Josh Kolbeson builds for the Shield with the "click" feature and seems to be an amazing holster for Appendix Carry, reason why Gomez had gotten him to do his "version" of the summer comfort 2 with upgrades, his quality seems to be above the average.

Its very hard to find a quality leather holster, I have never tried or seen your products personally so I am not comparing you to them in any kind of way or shape. My point is that they are hard to find and people need to be aware that only because its leather doesn't mean its good. I had a $100 desantis for my revo that was JUNK and I wouldn't give it to my worst enemy.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Awe come on now. Paul liked his leather, and was very particular about exactly what he wanted. I should go back and look at the order he sent a few days before he passed, we must have exchanged emails and talked about one holster for a month. I keep saying I am going to make it one day and give a portion to his charity, but I would hate to sell something if he never got to use/approve of it. I am also always behind on something. As soon as I catch up, take some time to post some pictures, and I get bombarded again.
    Josh Kolbeson is making one: http://www.shopleatherworks.com/gatxc-gnome-approved-tx-comfort-aiwb/

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I had a coworker that swore he was told this in his CCP class . I didn't believe him but he stuck to his story .
    Oh God. Not this crap again. Seriously?
    Ok, the fact is your coworker may very well have been lied to by his CHP instructor. Over the past couple of years those of us involved with LOCAL have come across a handful of people who knowingly misinform their students regarding the right to carry. We have discussed this several times. Here's what I posted in a thread I started in the LOCAL forum almost a year ago on this very subject.
    OnTarget instuctors giving misinformation?
    by Steve Raacke » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:22 am

A couple of months ago I spoke with John Gauthier of OnTarget at his gun show booth in Gonzales. I discussed with him about possibly giving him a stack of our trifold informational pamphlets to hand out to students in his CHP class. John said that he would like to get a bunch of our pamphlets to add to his handouts. Everything seemed fine.
    Before the January meeting LOCAL member Clarence Kron mentioned that he had recently approached Mr Gauthier and asked about giving him some of our pamphlets. This time Mr Gauthier stated that he had originally agreed that it would be a good idea but now he did not want to because of a disagreement he had with a statement in our pamphlet and on our website.
    Specifically Mr Gauthier had issue with our Frequently Asked Question "Do I give Up My Right To Open Carry If I Get A Conceal Carry Permit?" According to Clarence, Mr Gauthier stated that if a person was issued a permit by the state and was carrying that permit in his pocket, he must cover/conceal his firearm. If the person wants to open carry he must leave his permit at home or not have one on his person when open carrying.
    LOCAL members have been educating the public for almost 3 years about the laws regarding Openly Carrying firearms in Louisiana. One of the things we have stated from the beginning is that citizens do not give up the right to Open Carry if they are issued a La State Conceal Carry Permit (CHP). There is no basis in law for the loss of Open Carry with a CHP. We know this. If this instructor doesn't then he needs to be corrected. We have encountered CHP instructors giving out misinformation regarding this and have worked to educate them of their errors so they do not continue. In some cases it takes a call from Sgt Revis of the LSP CHP unit to set the instructor right.
    Now if he doesn't want to hand out our pamphlets because he has an issue with Open Carry then that's his decision. We can't win everyone over to our side. But we can at least make sure that he is not misinforming his students.
    Open carry is legal and you don't give up that right when you get a CHP. If your instructor is putting out anything different then the CHP unit at LSP should be notified.
    LOCAL website= http://www.laopencarry.org <-read and learn.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I think as long as rules are different in every single state we will continue to see the same questions and misconceptions come up. Wrong information gets passed around when people get advice from people in other states or maybe the instructor just moved here from another state and misspoke on that one issue.

It's like if driving rules were radically different in every state. Imagine if its was ok to turn right on red in Louisiana but not in Texas. It would repeatedly create confusion and wrong advice even from instructors. What we need is a national concealed carry law that with rules that apply to every state.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I think as long as rules are different in every single state we will continue to see the same questions and misconceptions come up. Wrong information gets passed around when people get advice from people in other states or maybe the instructor just moved here from another state and misspoke on that one issue.

It's like if driving rules were radically different in every state. Imagine if its was ok to turn right on red in Louisiana but not in Texas. It would repeatedly create confusion and wrong advice even from instructors. What we need is a national concealed carry law that with rules that apply to every state.

I don't trust congress to come up with a decent national concealed carry law. I would rather 2A be recognized as it reads, shall not be infringed.

gatordrag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Remember this guy?

BadgeGun.jpg

He didn't get the memo.

One more thing. If you ARE going to open carry like the individual above (and I see this all the time), for Pete's sake, spend a few bucks and
    buy a decent holster. And by decent, I don't mean a SERPA. Something nice, preferably leather.

Seems like every die hard OC'er has to have the cheapest POS nylon holster the pawn shop had in stock.

Whats Wrong with a SERPA?

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I had a coworker that swore he was told this in his CCP class . I didn't believe him but he stuck to his story .

Is that the one jackass you always tell stories about that finally retired?

Whats Wrong with a SERPA?

It is a dangerous POS. I was given one for my HK and the gun has never even been in it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom